• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Cup of Hockey returns in 2016

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that depends on how one measures diversity. If we're talking simply % of minority players, the NBA and NFL have very high numbers of players who would be defined as minority for census purposes, but who make up the majority in their respective sports.

Baseball meanwhile has a large Latino population and the largest Asian population (not saying much) of the bunch.

But the NHL has approximately the same % of players born outside of the US and Canada as MLB, which trails only MLS within the North American sports leagues. They just happen to come from primarily white countries.

So if diversity is minority % - NBA and NFL (in that order) by a mile. If it's balance of races, it's MLS and MLB. But if it's % of foreign born players, you have MLS and then MLB/NHL. But even amidst all of that, it's difficult to account for players who were born to minority parents but in NA.

TL;DR: It's easy to say that something is or is not diverse, but those numbers can be skewed to meet almost any agenda.

i kinda was trying to ask that question earlier when i said: it will be interesting to see if people will still be saying hockey lacks diversity in 10 to 15 years when there will be more Asian and Indo Canadians in the league

the read i get is that from a US perspective, it seems that diversity means more black players :noidea:

where im coming from is anecdotal ... my sons practices are like a meeting at the UN and the association he plays at is no different demographically than the other neighbouring minor hockey associations in the vicinity :noidea:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i kinda was trying to ask that question earlier when i said: it will be interesting to see if people will still be saying hockey lacks diversity in 10 to 15 years when there will be more Asian and Indo Canadians in the league

the read i get is that from a US perspective, it seems that diversity means more black players :noidea:

where im coming from is anecdotal ... my sons practices are like a meeting at the UN and the association he plays at is no different demographically than the other neighbouring minor hockey associations in the vicinity :noidea:
I think Hispanic involvement is going to be a much larger indicator of American-based diversity (if it already isn't).

Worth noting that the 1st overall pick this year was Hispanic - Auston Matthews' mother was born in Mexico.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You could argue the NHL is the *most* diverse. USA, Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Czech, Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, etc...

NFL/NBA: USA and maybe a Canadian or two.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could argue the NHL is the *most* diverse. USA, Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Czech, Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, etc...

NFL/NBA: USA and maybe a Canadian or two.
The NBA actually had players from more countries (37) than the NHL (21) last season.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, NFL's as Murica as it gets except for, like, NASCAR.

Oh really?

sacha-baron-cohen-talladega-nights.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mikael Backlund has a concussion (got rocked in the Finland game, clean but hard hit). Geez, the guy just can't catch a break.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team USA fires back at Phil Kessel, social media criticsm

David Backes: "But those comments don’t get lost in the fray and those comments are there and have been read and I think will be remembered when whatever happens going forward happens going forward."

So David Backes is going to kill Phil Kessel and Bobby Ryan, I guess.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team NA looks unstoppable

/though they might not have enough grit

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team USA fires back at Phil Kessel, social media criticsm

David Backes: "But those comments don’t get lost in the fray and those comments are there and have been read and I think will be remembered when whatever happens going forward happens going forward."

So David Backes is going to kill Phil Kessel and Bobby Ryan, I guess.

“Everyone can have their opinion. They can say what they want to say. We were here. We tried hard, we played hard, and came up short,” forward Zach Parise said. “Didn’t Phil have surgery? I don’t think he could even play, anyway. His tweet didn’t really make sense.”

Team Canada played like cowards.

- Hope Solo likes this.

Last edited:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sick rush by McDavid and some magic hands from Matthews.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-1 NA - Did Sweden start the wrong goalie? Get King Henrik outta there.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
last night watching the highlights of the game, sportsnet led the highlight pack with the pregame segment with Scott Oake asking Joe Thornton what he thought about the Muricans having more grit and my wife was outraged ... not by the question or the answer but by Thorntons beard

quote: what the fuck is wrong with him? :noidea:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking Team USA will be darn good once guys like Matthews and Gaudreau are on the team.