• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Cup of Hockey returns in 2016

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHL announces World Cup of Hockey to return in 2016 - Article - TSN

The World Cup of Hockey is back with a new format as the NHL seeks to create the best tournament in the world to launch a series of new international events.
In the fall of 2016, the World Cup will feature a Young Stars team made up of Canadian and American players aged 23 and under along with Team Europe, a group of all-stars from countries not represented. Those teams will compete with Canada, the United States, Russia, Sweden, Finland and the Czech Republic at the Sept. 17-Oct. 1 tournament in Toronto.]/quote]

I'm pretty stoked about this. This probably all but ends nhl participation in the next olympics though

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of a slap in the face to Slovakia and Switzerland, isn't it?

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of a slap in the face to Slovakia and Switzerland, isn't it?

yup.

and the young guns team is stupid but supposedly that is only for the first one in 2016 and starting in 2020, it will be more like the current Olympic format

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The goaltending is really going to be a problem for the young guns - no young goalie has really stepped up to the plate at this young of an age

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The goaltending is really going to be a problem for the young guns - no young goalie has really stepped up to the plate at this young of an age

Don't need him to be a great goalie, just need him to be hot for a week or two

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't need him to be a great goalie, just need him to be hot for a week or two

I have doubts about that - you're going to put someone like Malcolm Subban or Zach Fucale against a top tier NHL goaltender and expect him to succeed? Especially when the young guns younger than 23 probably aren't as good of a team as a few of the teams they're going to face? It could either work out really well or be a disaster, I don't think there will be an in-between

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are they using this instead of preseason?
It would be weird going to Vegas for the Frozen Fury game and have half the Avs and Kings not there.
Will it mess more with younger teams? Will the league let them keep the rosters bigger longer? Will anyone really watch it? What about players from South America? Asia? Africa? Greenland? Mexico? Hey there is at least one guy from one of those places, I think?

Also how far will the league go to help Canada get to the finals? You know the want Canada vs the USA or Russia. So you can guess that Canada will not be playing either of them in the round robin.

And yes I will most likely watch. Unless I am in Vegas ;)

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be weird going to Vegas for the Frozen Fury game and have half the Avs and Kings not there.
Will it mess more with younger teams? Will the league let them keep the rosters bigger longer? Will anyone really watch it? What about players from South America? Asia? Africa? Greenland? Mexico? Hey there is at least one guy from one of those places, I think?

Also how far will the league go to help Canada get to the finals? You know the want Canada vs the USA or Russia. So you can guess that Canada will not be playing either of them in the round robin.

And yes I will most likely watch. Unless I am in Vegas ;)

Considering half of the players don't even play in some of the games anyway, I doubt the preseason makes much of a difference - it might actually help the lower tier players on NHL teams because they'll get more playing time in the preseason to show what they have - the regulars will be just fine

Mandoli

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds like it might be preseason for those playing:

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said the League is tentatively planning to schedule opening night for the 2016-17 season for Oct. 12, a date that would give players participating in the World Cup enough time to return to their respective NHL teams for a modified training camp.

Daly said regular NHL training camps are expected to proceed as normal; they would begin Sept. 22 and run 20 days, as per regulations in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Link: World Cup of Hockey set to return in 2016 [NHL.com]

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

Thare are a couple of decent ones at 24 or 25 , but younger than that... Pickard, maybe?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thare are a couple of decent ones at 24 or 25 , but younger than that... Pickard, maybe?

He'll be 24 when it begins so I doubt he's in - the under-23 I guess means you have to be under 23 and not at least at 23?

John Gibson maybe? Andrei Vasilevsky?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have doubts about that - you're going to put someone like Malcolm Subban or Zach Fucale against a top tier NHL goaltender and expect him to succeed? Especially when the young guns younger than 23 probably aren't as good of a team as a few of the teams they're going to face? It could either work out really well or be a disaster, I don't think there will be an in-between

The tournament is what, a year and a half from now? I'm not sure that what Subban and Fucale are today is what they'll be when the tournament is played. And it's not out of the question that someone else will step forward in the next year and a half either.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHL announces World Cup of Hockey to return in 2016 - Article - TSN

The World Cup of Hockey is back with a new format as the NHL seeks to create the best tournament in the world to launch a series of new international events.
In the fall of 2016, the World Cup will feature a Young Stars team made up of Canadian and American players aged 23 and under along with Team Europe, a group of all-stars from countries not represented. Those teams will compete with Canada, the United States, Russia, Sweden, Finland and the Czech Republic at the Sept. 17-Oct. 1 tournament in Toronto.]/quote]

I'm pretty stoked about this. This probably all but ends nhl participation in the next olympics though

Stoked would be correct

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to this and I like the format announced for it as well.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTA:
Players who are eligible to play for the North American Under-23 team will not be available in the pool of players for the Canada and United States national teams.

Lame. If they want a best-on-best tournament, shouldn't they allow Team Canada and Team USA to take the best players available to them, instead of this stupid under-23 thing?

Mandoli

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lame. If they want a best-on-best tournament, shouldn't they allow Team Canada and Team USA to take the best players available to them, instead of this stupid under-23 thing?

Agreed. I think this is for the 2016 tournament only, but the idea of an under-23 team isn't good.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what to make of the new format. I kind of like it but can see why a lot of hockey purists would not as it's a bit gimmicky. I guess where this tournament has never been a regular thing, I don't see the harm in trying it. But if it's true that they have no intentions of continuing with this format beyond 2016, then why bother with it? Is it just to guarantee that McDavid, Eichel, Jones, McKinnon etc. get to not only compete in the tournament but will all be teammates in meaningful games? My guess is that they want to see how this tournament goes before committing either way to continuing with this format. I'll be interested to see how both the Young Guns and the Euro-Misfits do. I'll likely be cheering for both to some extent. I can see Slovakia, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, etc. putting together a pretty solid team.