• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Cup of Hockey returns in 2016

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As exciting as the OT session was and a great goal by MacKinnon, Team North America really needed to win that game in regulation time as Sweden earns a point from the OT loss and are through to the semi-finals.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw lots of mention of how good the ot was. Here it is in all its glory

Didnt see many mentions on what sedins did in their 2 shifts. Eventful but as always, unrecognized

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MacKinnon wins it for Team NA in OT - woot!

Johnny Hustle made that goal happen.

With every game I watch the little wizard play, I wonder how he sat until pick 104. Just unreal.

Given the brain (I use the term loosely) trust at USA Hockey I have no confidence they will be. Granted I've had issues with USA Hockey since I was coaching a tournament team 16 years ago as well as serving on the BOD for our rec/travel/tourney/league.

From the coaching choice to the roster make up, they screwed the pooch big time.

It's especially frustrating because USA hockey has changed to a bigger focus on progression and skill development. Teaching kids flow and creativity. And then those same kids watch "Team USA" out there doing whatever that was.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
i think its an example being repeated in many rinks and minor hockey associations around canada ... granted, more so in urban/suburban ones

you have people of different ethnicities who were born in canada in the 70's/80's (who are the sons/daughters of immigrants) that wanted to play the sport growing up but could only follow it because their parents didnt have the money or didnt deem hockey important when getting ahead in life through hard work was their main focus in life

And now those people have kids of their own ... and they have money

the barrier to entry isnt skin colour ... its as dash noted: money
When I got back into hockey after university, I was the token white dude.
It was kind of funny - mostly Chinese, a few Japanese, one Mexican, and me.

I'm thinking Team USA will be darn good once guys like Matthews and Gaudreau are on the team.
Fortunately, Team Canada has a few good'uns ready to graduate as well. :thumb:

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey Canada, for one, but what do they know. They've just been producing the best hockey players on earth for a century.

:lebowski2:

So Hockey Canada becomes a band of SJW's and you follow along blindly?

BTW, plenty of world class hockey players from many countries around the world and I don't see those other nations worrying about racial quotas.

Let me know when youngsters are being denied the opportunity to play the game based on their ethnicity and I'll get on board with your crusade.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey is probably the whitest sport on earth. It has a very big problem with attracting diversity both in terms of fans and participation and it's a point worth making, even if cloaking it in the anthem...thing...is kinda missing the mark.

If skin colour is the only measure of diversity, then sure. But I'd have to imagine that of the big 4, it's got one of the strongest international diversity. Maybe Baseball compares?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lebowski2:

So Hockey Canada becomes a band of SJW's and you follow along blindly?

BTW, plenty of world class hockey players from many countries around the world and I don't see those other nations worrying about racial quotas.

Let me know when youngsters are being denied the opportunity to play the game based on their ethnicity and I'll get on board with your crusade.
You are totally missing the point here. It's not worrying about inclusiveness, it's worrying about ensuring that a steady stream of talent continues to emerge and given the growing minority makeup of the Canadian population, along with the fact that participation among white kids suffered a decline in the last decade, that means promoting the game to members of cultures within our society that historically haven't exactly been known for their avid hockey fandom and participation.

Beyond that, it also benefits the game (and the Poison Dwarf & his cronies) to have more fans and in both countries that means reaching out to minorities.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If skin colour is the only measure of diversity, then sure. But I'd have to imagine that of the big 4, it's got one of the strongest international diversity. Maybe Baseball compares?
The NBA actually has a larger percentage of foreign-born players from a larger number of countries.

As was said here earlier, it's much easier to pick up a ball and start living your hoop dreams.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are totally missing the point here. It's not worrying about inclusiveness

You certainly made it sound like that was your goal originally.

Hockey is doing well in the U.S. despite the fact that it is very expensive to play, but no matter what it is always .going to be a niche sport because of the cost. I'm not worried about it.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mattola'ing myself. I put this in NHL General as well. So nice, I had to post it twice.

Player 2 has entered the game

Also of note; he can spell liability.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

If your focus was on beating Canada, you still fucking sucked at your job! How is this an excuse? How does one get two days to figure out what he's going to say to the media and then come out with "I think we failed because we built a team to beat the team that handed our fucking asses to us"?

ESPN should be asking the league for a refund for the TV rights to this.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if your vertical is measured in millimetres. :nod:

then you pickup the other ball lol

2-730458.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ref: "I should give you a straight red card for picking up that ball, Tiny Messi ... but youre just so darn tiny and cute that I wanna pick you up and put you in my pocket and keep you there forever"

Tinny Messi: "Hey, man, I'm not cute! I'm a blackbelt in karate! I got a good mind to climb up your shirt and give your lower a lip a roundhouse kick!"

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ref: "I should give you a straight red card for picking up that ball, Tiny Messi ... but youre just so darn tiny and cute that I wanna pick you up and put you in my pocket and keep you there forever"

Tinny Messi: "Hey, man, I'm not cute! I'm a blackbelt in karate! I got a good mind to climb up your shirt and give your lower a lip a roundhouse kick!"
EwwiaD.gif

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, 4 of these 5 guys are the ones Pix said last week had no business being there over the snubbed skilled guys. Is Deano in here? :spy: