• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Cup of Hockey returns in 2016

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is there a team North America (when there is already team USA & Canada) and a team Europe (when there is a 4 teams from Europe) in the WCOH?

See post #474 above - As for Team Europe, it's made up of players from other European countries that are not participating in the tourney (mainly from Slovakia, Germany, Switzerland, and a pretty good player from Slovenia).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canada probably could have had 2 teams on their own. The NHL wants to showcase some young talent like Eichel, Mackinnon, Mathews and of course McDavid (and it's doubtful many of them could have cracked Canada's or USA's roster on merit alone) so they decided to do a team of young talent from both places.

Plus, They did team of "everyone else in Europe not in Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic or Finland" and they needed to balance the groups out.
I really thought the US was gonna suffer because there are at least 3 and maybe more guys on the U23 roster that were among the best Americans in the NHL, but after seeing how they crafted the roster and who they left off I honestly don't think they would've brought any of them anyway.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really thought the US was gonna suffer because there are at least 3 and maybe more guys on the U23 roster that were among the best Americans in the NHL, but after seeing how they crafted the roster and who they left off I honestly don't think they would've brought any of them anyway.

Just looking at two U23 Americans from my own team, I can pretty safely assume neither Saad or Jones would have made it on team USA, and both are very solid talents.

And I see them every game. No one can tell me that Jack (or Erik for that matter) Johnson is better than Jones. Nor can anyone tell me that Dubinsky is a better choice than Saad in any situation other than the situation of blindly attacking Crosby.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looking at two U23 Americans from my own team, I can pretty safely assume neither Saad or Jones would have made it on team USA, and both are very solid talents.

And I see them every game. No one can tell me that Jack (or Erik for that matter) Johnson is better than Jones. Nor can anyone tell me that Dubinsky is a better choice than Saad in any situation other than the situation of blindly attacking Crosby.
Saad was one of my three, and you're probably right that they would've chosen Dub, or Callahan, or any of the other puzzling inclusions they made above guys like Kessel.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey!! What if the Kool-aid guy makes the Czech team this year. I actually think he might actually be in their top 25.

4.gif

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm expecting a fun tournament here. It's hockey, the best players are going to be playing, could be a good couple weeks.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Seguin has broken heel from USA game.
not for how long he's fucked Dallas.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahahahahahahahahahhahah, what a team. Seriously, USA Hockey needs this. (It's not the real USA Hockey, right?) regardless this is what they need. This can be their lesson on how to succeed at top hockey. The answer isn't freaking grinding the shit out of your opponent. It's giving yourself the best chance to win by scoring goals. And by putting a coach in place who believes that. Quick over Schneider is laughable. Jack Johnson over Buff is laughable. Not taking Tyler Johnson, Phil Kessel (obviously he's recovering now, but still), Kyle Okposo, all while taking Dubinsky, Abdelkader, Backes, Kesler, Callahan. Those guys aren't bad, but they're absolutely worse options than the aforementioned. On international stage I'd take those three over all but a few US forwards (Kane, Oshie, Stepan, Pavelski, probably Patches). So I'm honestly enjoying this shitshow.