• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Cup of Hockey returns in 2016

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turning this tournament into an international spectacle capable of generating tens of millions of dollars is in the best interests of all involved, and also why we've likely seen the end of NHL participation in the Olympics for the foreseeable future.

I don't have an issue with players earning more cabbage, as for the owners, meh whatever. However, the only difference between this event and the Spengler Cup is better players.

/I'll miss the Spengler Cup music though.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said, I'm sure I'm going to sit down and watch the games (likely not every game though), but there's no big buzz or excitement like I have every four years when the Olympics roll around.

/Put it this way, if there's a CFL game on at the same time as one of these World Cup of Hockey games, I'll watch the CFL game and tape the WCH game.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have an issue with players earning more cabbage, as for the owners, meh whatever. However, the only difference between this event and the Spengler Cup is better players.

/I'll miss the Spengler Cup music though.

I miss Paul Romanuk at the Spengler Cup :whistle:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, call me petty if you will, but I have real difficulty getting behind the brainchild of one Gary Bettman, part of me hope this flops (I hear ticket sales aren't all that great) and the final is Team Sweden versus Team Europe.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, call me petty if you will, but I have real difficulty getting behind the brainchild of one Gary Bettman, part of me hope this flops (I hear ticket sales aren't all that great) and the final is Team Sweden versus Team Europe.

I didnt hope it would flop per se ... i just didnt care ... still kinda dont

although i want the kids to win it all!

/inveterate :thumb:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, flop may be a bit strong, how about not a rousing success?!?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not hrr ... but probably better for the players ... although how is the NHLPA splitting this windfall ???

The World Cup of Hockey to return in 2016

All profits count outside of hockey-related revenue and is split 50/50 between the league and NHLPA.

Im sure the players want it to succeed ... but i get the feel the commitment isnt 100% and the structure just screams quick cash grab
So would any profits go toward the salary cap? Or does the PA just keep it for, like, operating costs?

I remember reading last year after they signed the carriage deal with ESPN that they were expecting a $65 mil profit from this. That would be a $1 mil+/- addition to the cap if it were.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't really term it the "brainchild" of Bettman unless the Canada Cup was his idea too. That is what they're trying to turn this into, after all.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't really term it the "brainchild" of Bettman unless the Canada Cup was his idea too. That is what they're trying to turn this into, after all.

Yeah, but he and Rene Fasel are like oil and water, and you know he doesn't like shutting down the league for the Olympics every four years in February. I understand his reasons for doing so, but this hockey fan enjoys his Olympics and Gary seems determined to make NHL participation in the Olympics go the way of the do-do bird.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So would any profits go toward the salary cap? Or does the PA just keep it for, like, operating costs?

I remember reading last year after they signed the carriage deal with ESPN that they were expecting a $65 mil profit from this. That would be a $1 mil+/- addition to the cap if it were.

from the sounds of it there is no cap effect and its outside hrr ... nhlpa and nhl split it 50/50 ... now back to my question ... how does the nhlpa split the windfall ?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from the CBA

24.5 The NHL and the NHLPA shall continue to work together to jointly create and exploit other international projects and initiatives involving NHL Players other than International Hockey Games, including games, series, events or contests (e.g., the World Cup of Hockey, European Champions' League, Victoria Cup Competition, Olympic participation, etc.). All revenues from such projects and initiatives (net of expenses incurred pursuant to budgets approved by the International Committee, including without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Direct Costs and NHL and NHLPA staffing costs) shall be excluded from HR

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant wait for the rebirth of the Victoria Cup competition tho guyse!!!

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the exhibition match ticket prices are any indication, I can figure out why. Same, if not higher, price as regular season games against big opponents. 30 bucks for the nosebleeds to watch an exhibition match? When I can get the same seat to watch Chicago or Pittsburgh for 21 during the regular season?

Only people I know who are actually going are STH who got discounts or freebies to renew.

I'm watching on TV and it's 10 minutes from my house.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but he and Rene Fasel are like oil and water, and you know he doesn't like shutting down the league for the Olympics every four years in February. I understand his reasons for doing so, but this hockey fan enjoys his Olympics and Gary seems determined to make NHL participation in the Olympics go the way of the do-do bird.
Fair enough, although I personally think stopping the season half-way through and risking star players two months before the playoffs is kinda crazy.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, although I personally think stopping the season half-way through and risking star players two months before the playoffs is kinda crazy.

It's certainly not ideal, although the players always seem to want to participate in the event and the fans (for the most part) really seem to like to watch hockey at the Winter Olympics.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's certainly not ideal, although the players always seem to want to participate in the event and the fans (for the most part) really seem to like to watch hockey at the Winter Olympics.
One thing I know for sure is if the NHL and the PA both want this World Cup thing to work, and given that they get revenue from this and not from the Olympics, the NHL can't be participating in the Olympics. I just don't see a scenario where the WC is ever looked at as anything other than a curiosity at best (and a gimmick at worst) when there is Olympic gold on the line every 4 years.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the exhibition match ticket prices are any indication, I can figure out why. Same, if not higher, price as regular season games against big opponents. 30 bucks for the nosebleeds to watch an exhibition match? When I can get the same seat to watch Chicago or Pittsburgh for 21 during the regular season?

Only people I know who are actually going are STH who got discounts or freebies to renew.

I'm watching on TV and it's 10 minutes from my house.

Basically this. Would it be nice to head up and watch? Sure. But I don't care enough at the price, and I label myself as a diehard hockey fan. If you can't even get big hockey fans interested, it's an uphill battle. Cheapest tickets in Pittsburgh left are $75.00...only reason Pittsburgh may sell decently is because Sid and Geno are facing off. Also, I think I'd have to have someone pay me to watch the US team play...that's how entirely disillusioned I am by that sad, sad team/organization.