• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilson going to the Broncos

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Stanton of Seahawk draft blog has some level headed thoughts on the Russell Wilson trade. Worth reading.

There's a lot going on right now by way of opinion. I'm over here like, I loved the Seahawks when they were 2-14, I loved them when they were 13-3 and I'll continue to love them moving forward. There's a lot to happen this offseason. What was supposed to be a rather boring patching of holes has turned into something very interesting. There's gonna be a lot of moves coming, and that's gonna make this board hop a little. We've been spoiled by success, but there is something to be said about the competitions this is going to create.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, there may be something to be said about having to deal with Mark Rodgers. He always seemed to be trying to drive a wedge between the Hawks and Russell in the media. I can't imagine the Hawks really wanted to go through that again.
Rodgers came up with ideas like having RW be part owner and connecting RW salary to the cap so when the cap went up so would RW salary. Rumors were he was difficult to deal with.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting getting a little annoyed at the "You're being emotional" rebuttals. I don't care about Wilson. I care about the team winning. And I see a team that kept a coach and GM that have shown no ability to adapt and got rid of a QB still in his prime. And I don't believe that Jodi cares that much about what the team will do in 5 years because she isn't invested in the team.
This is where I am. I thoroughly enjoyed watching RW play and loved the fact that he was on our team and represented our organization so admirably, but the team being good is more important. You rebuild around a QB, yet we have taken the path of doing the opposite. It leaves little room for optimism about how this is going to go.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very much with you and seems like what they're doing... but why the hell is Carroll rebuilding? And everything is now driven around offensive coaches.

Wilson gone, Wagner gone, I would not be shocked at all if we see a trade for Lockett (and eat the dead cap) or Jamal Adams for that point (and eat that as well). They gave Adams and Lockett big contracts... (not to mention draft picks for Adams) and then the plan was to BLOW it all up anyway?

So to me that screams the plan failed or they didn't have a plan, so not putting a lot of faith into them rebuilding a successful one now.
I think we'll find out more as the offseason rolls out. Honestly given Carroll's hubris, I can't imagine he actually has the mentality that the Seahawks are engaging in a rebuild. My opinion is that the Seahawks have some plan to address the QB position that'll end up being less than adequate. They either think Lock can be a star, there's a guy in the draft who can carry the team, or they're going to trade for someone to be the QB.

Their plan did absolutely blow up in their face when they traded for Adams, extended him and extended Lockett. I believe their thought process was that Adams would push the team over the top, the Seahawks would have a great 2021 season, Russ would want to stay and we'd be in this offseason looking for another piece or two to push us over the top.

In the end I think this comes down to a failure of leadership. Jody Allen is hands off and Pete Carroll calls all the shots. Unfortunately I think we will look back at this offseason and see a half assed attempt to build a winning team that ends with us being good enough to win 6-8 games when we should've just blown it all up and tanked for picks in 2023 and 2024.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some are obsessed with Carroll age, but he's not a athlete where age matters and he's not senile. Listening to him speak and he seems sharp as ever. Yeah I'm sure doing a rebuild wasn't what he wanted but just running out the same collection and watching groundhog day again just wasn't desirable either. I think a rebuild just needed to happen, would of been nice if a rebuild could be done while keeping RW but just wasn't any viable trade chip other then RW to start a rebuild. Now the rebuild is off with some actual ammo to make it work.

• Round 1 (ninth overall, from Denver)
  • Round 2 (41st overall)
  • Round 2 (64th overall, from Denver)
  • Round 3 (74th overall)
  • Round 4 (106th overall)
  • Round 5 (151st overall)
  • Round 5 (from Denver)
  • Round 7 (227th overall)

2 first round picks ( and the Seahawk pick should be a early one)
2 second round picks ( again the Seahawks pick will be a early one)

Fant and Harris fit a rebuilding roster.

142 million in cap space in 2023

Yes the team has to make good choices with picks and cap space, but I for one believe having early picks make that more likely to happen. This is how you rebuild properly.
The bigger reason I bring up Carroll's age is due to the fact that he's not really on a career time horizon where he'll be coaching when the rebuild pays dividends. I agree that a rebuild was needed, I just don't get Carroll's thought process. I agree and disagree with your comment "it would've been nice if we could've done a rebuild with Russ," I agree that sure it would've been nice, but I don't find such a proposal plausible because Russ has the talent that even if you surround him with the worst roster in the league, he'd still find a way to keep us competitive which wouldn't give us the draft capital necessary to surround him with elite young talent.

Fant definitely fits a rebuilding roster, I honestly thought he'd go in the top-10 when he was drafted and I really believe he has the talent to be one of the best TEs in the NFL. I don't really see that as much with Harris though.

I would say that making good choices with the picks and cap space is optimistic thinking based on the way the team has drafted the last few years. I do agree that having early picks would make that more likely to happen, which is why Russ had to go.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we'll find out more as the offseason rolls out. Honestly given Carroll's hubris, I can't imagine he actually has the mentality that the Seahawks are engaging in a rebuild. My opinion is that the Seahawks have some plan to address the QB position that'll end up being less than adequate. They either think Lock can be a star, there's a guy in the draft who can carry the team, or they're going to trade for someone to be the QB.

Their plan did absolutely blow up in their face when they traded for Adams, extended him and extended Lockett. I believe their thought process was that Adams would push the team over the top, the Seahawks would have a great 2021 season, Russ would want to stay and we'd be in this offseason looking for another piece or two to push us over the top.

In the end I think this comes down to a failure of leadership. Jody Allen is hands off and Pete Carroll calls all the shots. Unfortunately I think we will look back at this offseason and see a half assed attempt to build a winning team that ends with us being good enough to win 6-8 games when we should've just blown it all up and tanked for picks in 2023 and 2024.
I do think Pete will try for fairly quick turn around and the 2022 and 2023 drafts may do the trick with the right choices. As for the QB situation look back and see they wanted to draft Andy Dalton in the 2011 draft:

Bengals moved up ahead of them so they settled for a bridge QB in Tarvaris Jackson. Dalton would of been a decent stab at QB, the following year they covered themselves in case the same scenario played out by signing Matt Flynn then resisting drafting RW in the second round and waiting until the 3rd which in hindsight was the right time to nab him as he likely won't of made it back to them with their next pick. Interesting fact, Seahawks tried to draft Mahomes:

I am concern they may not be patient and draft a QB early in the draft or even worse ( much, much worse) trade for Watson. I would have those concerns regardless of who the coaching staff and front office were. If they take a QB early I still not convinced they don't use there first next season to draft a franchise QB.

As for the Adam trade, water under the bridge. They obviously misjudged and now they are doing a remake of the roster and have the draft capitol and cap space to do a quick turn around. Worried? Sure. Excited? Absolutely.

I say the bold move of moving RW does show leadership and balls and I'm so looking forward to these up coming seasons.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty much agree with all of this.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bigger reason I bring up Carroll's age is due to the fact that he's not really on a career time horizon where he'll be coaching when the rebuild pays dividends. I agree that a rebuild was needed, I just don't get Carroll's thought process. I agree and disagree with your comment "it would've been nice if we could've done a rebuild with Russ," I agree that sure it would've been nice, but I don't find such a proposal plausible because Russ has the talent that even if you surround him with the worst roster in the league, he'd still find a way to keep us competitive which wouldn't give us the draft capital necessary to surround him with elite young talent.

Fant definitely fits a rebuilding roster, I honestly thought he'd go in the top-10 when he was drafted and I really believe he has the talent to be one of the best TEs in the NFL. I don't really see that as much with Harris though.

I would say that making good choices with the picks and cap space is optimistic thinking based on the way the team has drafted the last few years. I do agree that having early picks would make that more likely to happen, which is why Russ had to go.
Yes with RW Seahawks keep winning enough to end drafting late or at least not early. Which was why he was moved finally. As for draft failures much of that was due to draft position. The 3 most important positions QB, OT and pass rusher had all the cream drafted ahead of them and anyone special was always gone in other positions, still was disappointing I admit but with better draft position I'm optimistic and why not?

Reactions: MrS

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes with RW Seahawks keep winning enough to end drafting late or at least not early. Which was why he was moved finally. As for draft failures much of that was due to draft position. The 3 most important positions QB, OT and pass rusher had all the cream drafted ahead of them and anyone special was always gone in other positions, still was disappointing I admit but with better draft position I'm optimistic and why not?

Because the odds are against us hitting on a QB again. It can happen certainly. But the odds aren't great. And unless we pull a rabbit out of a hat we are going to have someone like Drew Lock behind center next year. So we will likely wind up with somewhere between 5-8 wins and get a top 10 pick. Not high enough to get one of the premier QBs in the draft.

As @seahawksfan234 said, I think that Carroll's hubris is that they can find a QB that will be able to replace or nearly replace Wilson.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Perfectly put.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odds of hitting on the next Mahomes are slim but a Dak Prescott type is not far far fetched and that will do.

Then why don't more teams draft Dak Prescott level players?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why don't more teams draft Dak Prescott level players?
Over the years there have been plenty decent QBs, obviously more failures but let’s not convince ourselves that all is lost.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the years there have been plenty decent QBs, obviously more failures but let’s not convince ourselves that all is lost.

We have a stuck in his ways coach who has 100% complete autonomy who just traded away a Hall of Fame level QB with absolutely no plan to replace him. And, no, I don't think they have any sort of plan. Just like they had no plan for the secondary last year and they haven't had a plan for the DL in 3 years.

So now they are going to spend a bunch of money on free agents and fans will get excited but we will still have no answer at QB.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a stuck in his ways coach who has 100% complete autonomy who just traded away a Hall of Fame level QB with absolutely no plan to replace him. And, no, I don't think they have any sort of plan. Just like they had no plan for the secondary last year and they haven't had a plan for the DL in 3 years.

So now they are going to spend a bunch of money on free agents and fans will get excited but we will still have no answer at QB.

:sigh: I really hate seeing you so negative. Hopefully you'll come around to a more optimist view point eventually.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:sigh: I really hate seeing you so negative. Hopefully you'll come around to a more optimist view point eventually.

I don't like being this negative. Honestly, I'm really just trying to be as objective about things as possible. But I'm not willing to believe that the Seahawks are going to have some historically amazing draft again this year. That just isn't realistic. And without that, I don't see how this team can be competitive.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just been so long since we had a really strong draft, where should the source of optimism come from when we kept the FO intact (the one that has been missing so badly in drafts & trades the last 5-7 years), but we sent off our HOF level franchise QB who's only 33? IMO, if Jodi Allen had an off-season choice between PC/JS or RW, then she totally tubed the first big decision that was set in front of her.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the odds are against us hitting on a QB again. It can happen certainly. But the odds aren't great. And unless we pull a rabbit out of a hat we are going to have someone like Drew Lock behind center next year. So we will likely wind up with somewhere between 5-8 wins and get a top 10 pick. Not high enough to get one of the premier QBs in the draft.

As @seahawksfan234 said, I think that Carroll's hubris is that they can find a QB that will be able to replace or nearly replace Wilson.
I know I'm repeating the cliche that this is a weak QB draft, but it really is. I'd rather them not reach for a guy like Malik Willis in the first round. If you want to roll the dice on a high upside QB, trade for Jalen Hurts. Perhaps I'm undervaluing Hurts, but I think we could land him for a second or third round pick along with along pick later in the draft.

Apparently Deshaun Watson has ruled out Seattle, so I think the best course of action is rolling with our current roster with Drew Lock at QB, using our draft capital this year to address other holes on the roster such as the offensive and defensive lines.

This might be a hot take since we have a ton of money committed to Jamal Adams and Diggs, but if Kyle Hamilton falls to us at 9 I would take him. The Seahawks plan on running more two deep looks, this would allow Hamilton and Diggs to cover that portion of the field with Adams playing in the box where he's at his best and limited in his coverage responsibilities. It would be unconventional, but I really do think Kyle Hamilton is the best safety prospect in years. He has Earl Thomas' range and instincts with nearly Kam Chancellor's size.

If not Hamilton, there are a number of guys with top-5 talent who could fall to us at 9 and I think it would be a mistake to reach for a QB there or trade down when we could land a blue chip guy.