• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will the Spurs finish the season with the best record

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: You act like the Spurs have never exited the playoffs earlier than expected 1 season and come back the very next season to win it all. The Spurs have also won at least of their 3 titles since they were "past their prime." They have also added a couple of guys who are not past their prime in Aldridge and Leonard. I hear those guys are pretty good.

I have little doubt that the Spurs will be just fine when the playoffs start. If you are depending on the Spurs being past their prime or "winded" for the Warriors to make it out of the West, you're likely to be disappointed.

There have been plenty of teams that have exited the playoffs in the first round, or earlier than expected...for reasons such as being gased because a younger, quicker team out-played them. I just happened to point out that imo that was the reason it happened to them last year.

And I'm not waiting on the Spurs to do anything. As a matter of fact, I can't wait to see them match up with the Warriors. Not too long ago they were the team the Warriors couldn't get past in the playoffs. Can't wait to see the outcome this season.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter cause OP is screwed either way.

The team that ran his Idol out of Miami?

Or the team that beat his Idol when The Chosen One returned to Cleveland?

Maybe OP would be better off rooting for the Mavs to win the West.

Oh....

Wait....
Lebron23james getting worked by RT......

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Spurs don't have homecourt vs those two, I'm worried. If they don't, I'm a hell of a lot less worried. Playing at OKC and winning is damn near impossible for them.

They won't make the same mistake twice.

Had they won that last game against the Fly Pelicans Fly, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The Clippers and Thunder both have a elite pg and Forward.

But, the Spurs have the elite TEAM.

Add Duncan, Pop, Gi-nose-bleeds experience and savvy to a Prime Aldridge and Finals MVP Kahwi and you walk to the WCF if healthy.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been plenty of teams that have exited the playoffs in the first round, or earlier than expected...for reasons such as being gassed because a younger, quicker team out-played them. I just happened to point out that imo that was the reason it happened to them last year.

And I'm not waiting on the Spurs to do anything. As a matter of fact, I can't wait to see them match up with the Warriors. Not too long ago they were the team the Warriors couldn't get past in the playoffs. Can't wait to see the outcome this season.

I agree. My point was, the Spurs have a history of it (part of the reason they've never had a repeat). Warriors/Spurs should be a really good series if we get to see it. If the Warriors beat them in a series, that'll go along way toward shutting up some of the "they didn't play the Spurs/Cavs were injured" folks.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. My point was, the Spurs have a history of it (part of the reason they've never had a repeat). Warriors/Spurs should be a really good series if we get to see it. If the Warriors beat them in a series, that'll go along way toward shutting up some of the "they didn't play the Spurs/Cavs were injured" folks.
Oh yes, couldn't agree more!

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the Warriors would to have a lot of injuries to get beat in the standings and I don't think that is going to happen. The Spurs has an aging team with some of the players, so Popovich tends to pace the older players even if it means losing some games and ending in the third or fourth seed. The Warriors and young and healthy and they can run marathons every day. In a few years they are older, they might begin to slow down a little, but not this year

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called an upset. They happen sometimes. The Spurs have 5 championships that show they have a pretty solid handle on this playoff thing.

Were the Spurs the better team? Yes.

Did they win? No.

That's why it's called an upset and why they play the games.
I am not convinced that the Spurs could have beat the Warriors for several reasons. The Spurs did get beat by the team that eventually got beat by the Warriors who beat every one in the playoffs and earned the championship.

For me, the Spurs have a big challenge: That challenge is how to match the Warriors speed or slow them down and truthfully - The Spurs can try to slow down the game, and play a slower speed, but like what happened to the Lakers will happen to them. The faster and younger team will down at the other side waiting for them to get to the basket with their defense set and then while the Spurs are trying to get to the other side to defend the paint, the Warriors will be there. To slow down the game is difficult. I admire what the Spurs have done in the last decade, but I think there time has just about gone for Parker, Duncan and company.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I totally understand that and upsets happen because older teams get winded, lose energy & so on. Especially teams with a core that are past their primes, such as TD, TP & MG.

Now, I'm not saying those guys aren't good but they're all definitely past their primes at this point in their careers.

They were past their primes a couple years ago and they keep winning. They have Leonard, Green, and Aldridge to take the load off their shoulders. They will be just fine. If it wasnt for the Clippers going crazy, we could be talking about the Spurs being champions and that's without Aldridge.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Clippers never played the Warriors in the playoffs.
The way I see it, even though we were talking about the Spurs and the Warriors, is if the Clippers couldn't beat the team that got beat by the Warriors in the Western Conference, then how can they expect to beat the better team and the Warriors was the better team last year.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this: I like the Spurs chances of beating the Warriors better then the Clippers who I hope loses in the first round of the playoffs.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it, even though we were talking about the Spurs and the Warriors, is if the Clippers couldn't beat the team that got beat by the Warriors in the Western Conference, then how can they expect to beat the better team and the Warriors was the better team last year.

It's all about matchups. Seems like if a team has an athletic big like Griffin or Ibaka, they have a better chance against the Spurs in the past. For instance, OKC or Clippers. Might not be the case, but the Spurs match-up well against the Warriors.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about matchups. Seems like if a team has an athletic big like Griffin or Ibaka, they have a better chance against the Spurs in the past. For instance, OKC or Clippers. Might not be the case, but the Spurs match-up well against the Warriors.
I also think that the Spurs has a better and deeper team than the Clippers. I am not much of a Chris Paul or Blake Griffin fan any more either. They might surprise me and step up, but I think the race this year will be the Spurs and Warriors and I would be careful if I was the Warriors. I think the main reason the Warriors won, was not because they played small ball well, but because the opposite teams did not have a big man that could run and defend. It Aldridge steps up for that role, the Warriors could be in trouble

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were past their primes a couple years ago and they keep winning. They have Leonard, Green, and Aldridge to take the load off their shoulders. They will be just fine. If it wasnt for the Clippers going crazy, we could be talking about the Spurs being champions and that's without Aldridge.

Not likely....but I can understand how you would want the team that just beat you outta the title to lose to the team that beat you outta the title the previous season. :dhd:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not convinced that the Spurs could have beat the Warriors for several reasons. The Spurs did get beat by the team that eventually got beat by the Warriors who beat every one in the playoffs and earned the championship.

The team that beat the Spurs lost to the Warriors? Aside from the fact that the Clips didn't play the Warriors, transitive property arguments don't work. USC beat UCLA in basketball last night. UCLA beat the #1 team in the country a couple of weeks ago. Does that mean USC is #1? Also, this isn't the same Spurs as last year. They didn't have LaMarcus Aldridge.

The Spurs can try to slow down the game, and play a slower speed, but like what happened to the Lakers will happen to them.

Doubtful that what happened to the Lakers will happen to the Spurs. The Spurs are a better, more disciplined and more experienced team than the Lakers.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team that beat the Spurs lost to the Warriors? Aside from the fact that the Clips didn't play the Warriors, transitive property arguments don't work. USC beat UCLA in basketball last night. UCLA beat the #1 team in the country a couple of weeks ago. Does that mean USC is #1? Also, this isn't the same Spurs as last year. They didn't have LaMarcus Aldridge.

Doubtful that what happened to the Lakers will happen to the Spurs. The Spurs are a better, more disciplined and more experienced team than the Lakers.

1. In the playoffs, the Clippers got beat and the Warriors didn't. It doesn't matter who the Warriors did or did not play because they moved forward and were the best and the Clippers weren't. I really don't think the Clippers could have beaten the Warriors any way.

2. I don't think the Spurs will do what the Lakers did, but as that whack job - Charles whatever says - Father time is undefeated and the Spurs have some aging players. Like you said, that's why they play the games, but as I said, if I had a team that I believe could be the Warriors - It would be the Spurs and not the Clippers.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. In the playoffs, the Clippers got beat and the Warriors didn't. It doesn't matter who the Warriors did or did not play because they moved forward and were the best and the Clippers weren't. I really don't think the Clippers could have beaten the Warriors any way.

2. I don't think the Spurs will do what the Lakers did, but as that whack job - Charles whatever says - Father time is undefeated and the Spurs have some aging players. Like you said, that's why they play the games, but as I said, if I had a team that I believe could be the Warriors - It would be the Spurs and not the Clippers.

1. :wtf:

2. The Spurs haven't exactly stood pat. They have Aldridge, Green and Kawhi (among others) to do most of the heavy lifting and make sure Timmy, Parker and Ginobili are rested. The old guys all took lower salaries specifically to put themselves in this position.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. :wtf:

2. The Spurs haven't exactly stood pat. They have Aldridge, Green and Kawhi (among others) to do most of the heavy lifting and make sure Timmy, Parker and Ginobili are rested. The old guys all took lower salaries specifically to put themselves in this position.

Sounds like we agree, but I do think controlling the tempo of the game is going to be the Spurs biggest issue. Now on the other hand, If the Spurs wanted to win another championship in a bad way, they could trade a draft pick for Kobe before February and he would have a legitimate chance to win one. I would think a normal player(Kobe is not normal and that won't happen) would love the opportunity to go out with a shot at it. Popovich would have no problem in how to use Kobe effectively

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors schedule has been extremely favorable so far. After tonight, they will have played 40 games. Only 16 of those games are against current playoff teams. And only 7 of those games have been on the road. Right now, they are 4-2 on the road vs teams with winning records. And that included 3 games vs Houston and Boston who are barely above 500.

The Warriors opponents composite record is 653-895. I am not sure how close that is to last place, but it can't be far off.

The Warriors don't have to apologize to anyone. They play the games that are on their schedule. But I think that the schedule is one of the reasons why the advanced metrics are placing the Spurs as the best team right now. The other being point differential.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me, the Spurs have a big challenge: That challenge is how to match the Warriors speed or slow them down and truthfully - The Spurs can try to slow down the game, and play a slower speed, but like what happened to the Lakers will happen to them. The faster and younger team will down at the other side waiting for them to get to the basket with their defense set and then while the Spurs are trying to get to the other side to defend the paint, the Warriors will be there. To slow down the game is difficult. I admire what the Spurs have done in the last decade, but I think there time has just about gone for Parker, Duncan and company.

Well let's not forget their best player Leonard is young, and Aldridge isn't old either. The old core isn't as fundamental to that team anymore.