• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Look in the Mirror Monday

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, any thought that this team can contend for a playoff spot, let alone a super bowl, are pretty much shattered at this point.

While there are teams that have finished strong, squeaked into the playoffs and made a deep run, given our roster/cap situation, I don't think the 9ers have the luxury to see how that pans out. There's some real long-term planning that needs to start this week. There are too many one-year deals out there and too many high draft picks sitting on the bench.

As much as I'm pissed at Shanahan for his part in all of this, I don't think he's on the hot seat this year. Unless there's a better option out there, I think the blame will be placed on Lynch and the personnel department. Our early-round draft picks have been bad. The coaching staff has limited faith in the young guys we bring in and the good ones get injured.

But something isn't right with Shanahan either. On offense, the team looks unprepared and lacks confidence. His in-game decisions have been questionable at best, but more concerning is that he doesn't seem to get the best out of the roster he has - whether it's game planning or play calling. Way too many mental errors and they play scared. I could write a lot more in critique of him, but I just don't see Shanahan going anywhere this year.

Do they start playing the young guys to see what they have, or try to salvage a season that's most likely already out of reach? I'm thinking the former, but something tells me we're gonna have to live with the later.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s been discussed in other threads. The organization needs to look at conditioning or what the hell is going on. I get it this is the NFL and injuries occur on every team. But let’s look at the past 4 seasons.

2018 - Injuries are well above league avg.
2019 - At league avg.
2020 - Set NFL records for injuries
2021 - Well above league avg.

Other team fans will comeback with quit whining “next man up” mentality, but when there is a pattern that prohibits this championship roster to not preform at the level it should, you have to take a deep dive into what the hell is going on.

Yes season is shattered and it’s time to mix in the younger players, mainly Lance when he is healthy.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s been discussed in other threads. The organization needs to look at conditioning or what the hell is going on. I get it this is the NFL and injuries occur on every team. But let’s look at the past 4 seasons.

2018 - Injuries are well above league avg.
2019 - At league avg.
2020 - Set NFL records for injuries
2021 - Well above league avg.

Other team fans will comeback with quit whining “next man up” mentality, but when there is a pattern that prohibits this championship roster to not preform at the level it should, you have to take a deep dive into what the hell is going on.

Yes season is shattered and it’s time to mix in the younger players, mainly Lance when he is healthy.
Agreed... the injuries are more than just an anomaly at this point. Somewhere between the scouting and conditioning departments is an answer.

There's a host of youngins I'd like to see get quality playing time. They may end up blowing chunks, but experience is a big part of their development either way. Lenoir, Moore, Sermon.... they need to throw Banks out there at some point too. I know he "could" be worse than Brunskill, but they've got the rest of this year to figure it out and Brunskill probably won't be on the team next year anyway.

Sucks to see what's going on with Aiyuk. I wonder if it's beyond repair at this point. He played a huge role last year and was fine by all accounts during training camp, then the regular season hits and "poof", he's not onboard and has bad habits? Something doesn't add up. Seems like he was being punished for something, then he lost confidence, now it's just snowballed. From the outside looking in, seems like player mismanagement by the coaching staff, but who knows.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one good thing about finishing last again this year will be a top draft pick. Oh wait, Shanahan gave that pick and the year after's pick away.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed... the injuries are more than just an anomaly at this point. Somewhere between the scouting and conditioning departments is an answer.

There's a host of youngins I'd like to see get quality playing time. They may end up blowing chunks, but experience is a big part of their development either way. Lenoir, Moore, Sermon.... they need to throw Banks out there at some point too. I know he "could" be worse than Brunskill, but they've got the rest of this year to figure it out and Brunskill probably won't be on the team next year anyway.

Sucks to see what's going on with Aiyuk. I wonder if it's beyond repair at this point. He played a huge role last year and was fine by all accounts during training camp, then the regular season hits and "poof", he's not onboard and has bad habits? Something doesn't add up. Seems like he was being punished for something, then he lost confidence, now it's just snowballed. From the outside looking in, seems like player mismanagement by the coaching staff, but who knows.
And the drafting of players with known injuries again (Kinlaw). Shanahan has destroyed this team

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMO, any thought that this team can contend for a playoff spot, let alone a super bowl, are pretty much shattered at this point.

While there are teams that have finished strong, squeaked into the playoffs and made a deep run, given our roster/cap situation, I don't think the 9ers have the luxury to see how that pans out. There's some real long-term planning that needs to start this week. There are too many one-year deals out there and too many high draft picks sitting on the bench.

As much as I'm pissed at Shanahan for his part in all of this, I don't think he's on the hot seat this year. Unless there's a better option out there, I think the blame will be placed on Lynch and the personnel department. Our early-round draft picks have been bad. The coaching staff has limited faith in the young guys we bring in and the good ones get injured.

But something isn't right with Shanahan either. On offense, the team looks unprepared and lacks confidence. His in-game decisions have been questionable at best, but more concerning is that he doesn't seem to get the best out of the roster he has - whether it's game planning or play calling. Way too many mental errors and they play scared. I could write a lot more in critique of him, but I just don't see Shanahan going anywhere this year.

Do they start playing the young guys to see what they have, or try to salvage a season that's most likely already out of reach? I'm thinking the former, but something tells me we're gonna have to live with the later.
As the game wore on, i kept thinking the Colts are adjusting to stop our run game, why isn't Shannahan countering it? So i will have to agree with "something isn't right with Shannahan either". We didn't lose the game only because of non-adjustments, but that was so frustrating to watch.

We also the game more on pass interference and turnovers, when players exhibit poor ball security, can't be blamed on play-calling. Poor security by Samuel, another by JG, and of course one by the punt returner.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to KNBR today, reading this site and just the general temperature in the media makes it clear in my eyes. And of course the LOUD boo-birds at the game…

Shanahan and Lynch are OFFICIALLY over their honeymoon and any cache they accumulated by going to the SB a few years back has been spent. Blood is in the water at this point, I fear.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lance doesn’t change that Juan Marichal windup before he throws we can add him to the “bust” list. Josh Allen corrected it, maybe Lance can too

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articl...believes-49ers-handling-trey-lance-correctly/

The obvious rant is to say let's start Lance but i agree with Peter King, you start Lance when he's ready to start. There is no perfect time to start Lance i know, but if he's still too raw.....which the whole country expected.. You can't start him just because everything else is a mess, else you make Lance a mess too.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just say the Rain won the game for the Colts. We all know Jimmy can't hold onto a wet football. If that wasn't clear prior to the game it certaintly was on the 49ers final play of it. The one time he tried to pull back and let one rip it slipped right out of his hand.

Let's just hope for better weather against Chicago.

This team on both sides need to be more consistent. One series the Defense is all over the QB and backfield making plays. The next their getting gashed by the run and blowing coverage in the secondary. The offense one series looks like an unstoppable juggernaut, and then comes back like the New York Jets for the next several series.

I could see them still making the playoffs, but they need to string together a few wins and gain back some confidence and consistency to do it. Sadly these games against the Colts and Bears after a Bye Week was a perfect opportunity to do just that and we've already blown it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Let's just say the Rain won the game for the Colts. We all know Jimmy can't hold onto a wet football. If that wasn't clear prior to the game it certaintly was on the 49ers final play of it. The one time he tried to pull back and let one rip it slipped right out of his hand.

Let's just hope for better weather against Chicago.

This team on both sides need to be more consistent. One series the Defense is all over the QB and backfield making plays. The next their getting gashed by the run and blowing coverage in the secondary. The offense one series looks like an unstoppable juggernaut, and then comes back like the New York Jets for the next several series.

I could see them still making the playoffs, but they need to string together a few wins and gain back some confidence and consistency to do it. Sadly these games against the Colts and Bears after a Bye Week was a perfect opportunity to do just that and we've already blown it.
I get it was raining but thats why you secure with both ARMS/hands once you have to. Deebo should've done this during his fumble because he was already being tackled, same with the punt returner during his fumble. I don't recall who was the punt returner on that fumble?

Even JG should've done this once the pocket broke down. Why do you keep the ball away from your body when you're about to be sacked/tackled? That's why he fumbled too. It always starts with turnovers followed by penalties.

I haven't given up the play-offs just yet, but obviously the odds are LONG.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The obvious rant is to say let's start Lance but i agree with Peter King, you start Lance when he's ready to start. There is no perfect time to start Lance i know, but if he's still too raw.....which the whole country expected.. You can't start him just because everything else is a mess, else you make Lance a mess too.
I read the article and agree in principle.... but given the circumstances and JG's play, Shanahan will be forced to speed up Lance's timeline. I think King is looking at it myopically. Will the FO persist with that thinking if the stadium is empty and fans are booing for the rest of the year, and the media is calling for answers from Lynch and Shanahan on why they aren't looking towards the future?

They could ignore all of that noise... but given the way the year's gone, will they? I dunno. But if JG loses the game in Chicago, the drum beat is only gonna get louder. If they stick with JG through the Cards/Rams games and we lose does he make the switch then? Does he wait until we're mathematically eliminated? Each one of these decisions will be scrutinized massively. When you use 3 first round picks to get a player, this is gonna happen. If we had stood pat at 12, none of those decisions would get scrutinized as much. Now they will, and the team will most likely react.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the article and agree in principle.... but given the circumstances and JG's play, Shanahan will be forced to speed up Lance's timeline. I think King is looking at it myopically. Will the FO persist with that thinking if the stadium is empty and fans are booing for the rest of the year, and the media is calling for answers from Lynch and Shanahan on why they aren't looking towards the future?

They could ignore all of that noise... but given the way the year's gone, will they? I dunno. But if JG loses the game in Chicago, the drum beat is only gonna get louder. If they stick with JG through the Cards/Rams games and we lose does he make the switch then? Does he wait until we're mathematically eliminated? Each one of these decisions will be scrutinized massively. When you use 3 first round picks to get a player, this is gonna happen. If we had stood pat at 12, none of those decisions would get scrutinized as much. Now they will, and the team will most likely react.
Wow... I sound bleak. Silver linings? I'm gonna be in Chicago for the game this weekend, and will wear my jersey with pride. Gonna have a ton of good food and drink. Rooting for JG to have a turn-around game. If he does, all this panic will die down for a week, at least :suds:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

No question a lot of fans are calling for Lance to start, even a few Writers. Yes, there will be pressure on Ownership if we lose yet again.

But fans ALWAYS overreact to everything that happens, whereas the Coaching Staff knows a lot of stuff fans don't. Despite all the pressure should we lose again, I believe Jed will allow them to make the call. Granted "them" is mainly Shannahan, not Lynch. We simply invested way too much to risk messing up Lance now. His passing game needs to get better before he's ready to start. Else, we'll run him more than we want to.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow... I sound bleak. Silver linings? I'm gonna be in Chicago for the game this weekend, and will wear my jersey with pride. Gonna have a ton of good food and drink. Rooting for JG to have a turn-around game. If he does, all this panic will die down for a week, at least :suds:
Not bleak, i found it realistic. Not surprising following a 4 game losing streak, the natives are restless.

Give you credit for wearing 49er gear in enemy territory, i couldn't do it in Dallas eons ago, and good thing. There were raging Cowboy fans since the 49ers beating their azzes at the half. I wouldn't have gotten out of the restroom had i been wearing 49er gear, no joke!

I save my 49er gear for Levi's and i'll be at the Monday night game versus the Rams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/151760-brian-baldinger-49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-hes-good-enough/

Yeah ok, we all know JG isn't good enough. If you're limited to where you throw the ball, then you MUST be accurate and you MUST throw it on time. JG is too inconsistent on both counts.

But this is why you don't "force" Lance into the line-up either, cause he first needs to throw accurately himself. His timing of throws will improve after game experience, but he needs to throw accurately. Lance DOES have a little 'out' because of his threat to throw it deep and outside the numbers, keeping the CB honest. But until he proves he can throw accurately, don't force him.