• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why do fans of fast paced offenses whine when defenses...

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure what NFL rule you are citing. The only rule I know is the following:

With the exception of the last two minutes of either half, the offensive team, while in the process of substitution or simulated substitution, is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line and snapping the ball with the obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul; i.e., too many men on the field.

That is a judgement call and if you are snapping it at 7 seconds every play it would be hard to say you intentionally attempted to cause a defensive foul on a particular play

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Whats wrong with the way CFB does it? If the offense substitutes, the defense gets a chance. I do not see anything that is inherently unfair with that. There are about 100 post and not one person has come up with a reason why it is unfair.

Why does the NFL say they will not change the pace of the officials to suit Chip Kelly and to his credit he is fine with it? Look, Alabama is going to run to the line and call plays as well and I don't like that either. It is my opinion and I am entitled to it. I don't really give a flying flip who agrees or disagrees with it. It does so happen Texas is going to it this year.

If you really believe it doesn't change the game then you're clueless. When I watch Alabama or other defenses not be able to get the personnel they want on the field because of timing or even worse they get a certain package defense out there and can't get them off. Inherently unfair might be too strong term but unfair it is!

Run it like the best sports organization in the world, the NFL, and it would be fine. Teams could still run fast and it would be tough to substitute but you could find those windows of opportunities much more.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure what NFL rule you are citing. The only rule I know is the following:

With the exception of the last two minutes of either half, the offensive team, while in the process of substitution or simulated substitution, is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line and snapping the ball with the obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul; i.e., too many men on the field.

That is a judgement call and if you are snapping it at 7 seconds every play it would be hard to say you intentionally attempted to cause a defensive foul on a particular play

Come on coda! The NFL is saying they ae not going to have their officials rush at any quicker pace to appease anyone. Just like college football was years ago. Remember a big play would be made and the clock was ticking and players would walk back and the refs would throw a flag BUT they also didn't make them sprint back now like they do. They use to could jog back showing good effort to get back. Now it's like the officials in college rush as fast as possible to get the ball in play. The NFL is more equitable and it IS different!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on coda! The NFL is saying they ae not going to have their officials rush at any quicker pace to appease anyone. Just like college football was years ago. Remember a big play would be made and the clock was ticking and players would walk back and the refs would throw a flag BUT they also didn't make them sprint back now like they do. They use to could jog back showing good effort to get back. Now it's like the officials in college rush as fast as possible to get the ball in play. The NFL is more equitable and it IS different!
-
Still have to wait for chain gangs. I do not think there is as much difference as you seem to think. Buffalo used to do it all the time. Huddle on the ball or just go. I think the main difference is that NFL teams do not do it much. It will be interesting to see how the NFL treats Chip and his Eagles.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Still have to wait for chain gangs. I do not think there is as much difference as you seem to think. Buffalo used to do it all the time. Huddle on the ball or just go. I think the main difference is that NFL teams do not do it much. It will be interesting to see how the NFL treats Chip and his Eagles.

Coda,

The only reason this thread is back up is because I posted this concerning the NFL and the Eagles.

Chip Kelly will slow down Eagles offense to pace of officials - CBSSports.com

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not sure of the differences between college and pro game as far as no huddle hurry up offense....I think refs in the college game should limit the access of the hurry up...I don't think they should rush the ball to the line of scrimmage for one team that runs hurry up....in other words if they know a team doesn't run a no huddle.... one week...they shouldn't speed up the process when Oregon or texas comes to town.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not sure of the differences between college and pro game as far as no huddle hurry up offense....I think refs in the college game should limit the access of the hurry up...I don't think they should rush the ball to the line of scrimmage for one team that runs hurry up....in other words if they know a team doesn't run a no huddle.... one week...they shouldn't speed up the process when Oregon or texas comes to town.

Thank you! I couldn't have said it better. Why should the officials change week to week depending on the teams?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coda,

The only reason this thread is back up is because I posted this concerning the NFL and the Eagles.

Chip Kelly will slow down Eagles offense to pace of officials - CBSSports.com
-
We will found out what that means when the season plays out. It is a moronic statement. Refs control the pace? Really? The QB is the one that snaps it. Oregon's time between snaps is roughly 23-24 seconds. That is about 10 seconds faster than an average team. Truth is we do not know what the NFL will do about it. We have never seen it tested. They allow it for a portion of time currently. There is no standard procedure or hard rule on the subject currently, so watching it play out will be interesting.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ding ding ding!!! 4down, some people's egos make them think otherwise! This is about how the game should be played. Does Mamba think Oregon is the only team to run a fast tempo offense? Kind of self centered, don't you think? :nod:

If the NFL has issue with it why does it bother you that I have a problem with it? You have really taken this personal. What word is it many long time SportsHoopla members like to use? Butthurt?

Seriously?!? You know what's MORE self-centered? Thinking that "your way" is the only way to play football!!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I am not sure I have a ton of officials doing there Usain Boldt impressions. Human nature would guess they speed up a bit, but I am not sure it is a meaningful number. Unfortunately, there is no data on the time that the whistle blows the play dead to the time the ball is placed in play.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did not read thread.

Why do we "whine"? BECAUSE IT'S CHEATING NUMBNUTS.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously?!? You know what's MORE self-centered? Thinking that "your way" is the only way to play football!!

Do you think they should play it the way I'm saying or the way the tempo offenses are? The reason I ask is when you answer that question I'll make sure your way is included in that sel centered comment. It's called an opinion. Ever heard of one? By the way, I have read tons of posts by you talking up the Oregon Ducks. I thought it was only the SEC who did that. In fact, if I didn't know better I would say your a Duck in Trojan clothing! :noidea:

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did not read thread.

Why do we "whine"? BECAUSE IT'S CHEATING NUMBNUTS.

Lets take the part of faking injuries out and just say forcing the officials to run and get the ball in play for teams that run that type offense is wrong and it should be more like the NFL. They do it at a solid pace and do not allow the team to change that. Like someone said earlier, it's nt right for the officials to do it one way one week and a different way another week just to appease the tempo team.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma runs more plays than any team.
I don't think any of us have complained.

but I'm not reading through this whole thread.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma runs more plays than any team.
I don't think any of us have complained.

but I'm not reading through this whole thread.

2012 plays from scrimmage.

Oklahoma 1005

17 teams ran more plays than Oklahoma last season.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012 plays from scrimmage.

Oklahoma 1005

17 teams ran more plays than Oklahoma last season.

OK, i'll rephrase it.
Oklahoma runs an up tempo offense and runs as many plays as most any team over the last 5 years.
Would that be better for your taste.

Here's the bottom line. Who whines about that kind of crap?

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but injury-flopping on the football field is just as reprehensible as foul-flopping in the NBA.

YOU HAVE AN ALLOTTED NUMBER OF TIMEOUTS PER HALF. THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE FOR. USE 'EM, LOSE 'EM, JUST DON'T PULL CHICKENSHIT TACTICS TO SKIRT THE RULES PHAGGORZ.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, i'll rephrase it.
Oklahoma runs an up tempo offense and runs as many plays as most any team over the last 5 years.
Would that be better for your taste.

Here's the bottom line. Who whines about that kind of crap?

:nod:

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Best way to stop a fast paced offense is to punch them in the mouth... things got real slow after this.

Last edited by a moderator: