• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who was the most overrated player in NBA History

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at Lebron not even on the 2nd team all NBA defense team the last 2 years.

Complete player in the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter though

But but but.... The teams are so much better today. :L

Scottie Pippen 1991 Finals game 5 go check it out. Hell check out the whole series. Bulls lose game 1 then they put Scottie on Magic.

Lol at no game 7s for Bulls.

Yeah they were that good

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta agree with Steve Nash.

All world on offense in the Phoenix system.........total garbage on defense. Never took LOADED teams to the Finals.

Good player......but extremely overrated. MVPs play on BOTH ends of the floor. Man how many opposing PGs had career nights against Nash? Like all of them?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at Lebron not even on the 2nd team all NBA defense team the last 2 years.

Complete player in the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter though

But but but.... The teams are so much better today. :L

Scottie Pippen 1991 Finals game 5 go check it out. Hell check out the whole series. Bulls lose game 1 then they put Scottie on Magic.

Lol at no game 7s for Bulls.

Yeah they were that good
Jordan was that good.

Pippin did make the Playoffs without him. That does deserve a mention.

And went 34-31 that one time, till Jordan came back and they steamrolled.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically you are describing a really good role player. That is exactly why I dont have him as a great.

He was a role player, but he was so good at his role that I think you have to look at him at a great player given his role directly contributed to the success and without HIM playing the role they are not as successful. Imo he, and Rodman, to some degree a Wes Unseld were rare birds...they didn't have to be big scorers to have big impact on the outcome of the game.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell has such a high defensive PER rating it almost laps the guy in second place.
No player or coach who watched, played or coached for or against Russell would call him overrated.
The Celtics failed to win The NBA championship 2 times in Russell's 13 seasons, he was injured both years.
He also won titles in both his jr and sr seasons at The University Of San Francisco, the only titles in their history.
So he won 13 titles total, every year he was relatively healthy over a 15 season period.
Not that he didn't win injured either, he was hobbled when he brought The Celtics back to beat L.A. late in his career.
This Shane guy seems to be the only one who thinks russell is so overrated.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most over-rated ever?

Bill Russell

most overated currently?

EASY

Blancote.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never compared them once. Winning rings doesnt make you one of the greatest. It's pretty easy to look like the greatest player ever surrounding by 6 HOFrs. You say Billy made all these players HOF caliber. That is bullshit. Great team player, but Billy was more than a great role player and great defender. He would have a very tough time scoring in this league, comparinf him to a guy like Hakeem who could dominate this years league.

Stop making shit up. Never once did I say Russell made those HOF teammates of his. Where do you come up w/ that total nonsense? All I'm saying is Russell was a great player in his time. And next time speak for yourself rather than claiming I said something I never stated.

Last edited:

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By far??

John Havlicek, Bob Cousy, Sam Jones, Tom Heinsohn, KC Jones, Bill Sharman...

His teams were absolutely stacked.

Only Havlicek and Cousy would be HOFers if they hadn't played on The Celtics. The rest were just role players. Their stats are pedestrian. It would be like Toni Kukoc being in the hall.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop making shit up. Never once did I say Russell made those HOF teammates of his. Where do you come up w/ that total nonsense? All I'm saying is Russell was a great player in his time. And next time speak for yourself rather than claiming I said something I never stated.

I posted he made most of them HOFers, more to the point, all but Cousy and Havlicek rode his coattails in.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan was that good.

Pippin did make the Playoffs without him. That does deserve a mention.

And went 34-31 that one time, till Jordan came back and they steamrolled.

Pipp was a great defender - probably the best SF defender of all time and one of the best all around defenders of all time. Add in he'd get you 18,7,5 a game?

He got the Bulls to the ECF and game 7 vs the Knicks

He's not a great scorer but he could go off for 30 and did in some big games. Averaged 21, 9, 7 in the 1991 finals while guarding Magic and took 50 less shots than Jordan.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only Havlicek and Cousy would be HOFers if they hadn't played on The Celtics. The rest were just role players. Their stats are pedestrian. It would be like Toni Kukoc being in the hall.

Speaking of overrated.. KC Jones, Bill Sharman? Yeah they were very good players but it's helps to have a true HOFer in Bill Russell to pull you along.

Saying Bill Russell is overrated is only because he used to be the absolute gold standard for centers and certainly a number of great centers have played since his time.

But he basically transformed the sport and was a key component on one of the greatest pro sport dynasties of all time. No biggie.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pipp was a great defender - probably the best SF defender of all time and one of the best all around defenders of all time. Add in he'd get you 18,7,5 a game?

He got the Bulls to the ECF and game 7 vs the Knicks

He's not a great scorer but he could go off for 30 and did in some big games. Averaged 21, 9, 7 in the 1991 finals while guarding Magic and took 50 less shots than Jordan.
That was an awesome series.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was an awesome series.

It was a beatdown after game 1 when the Bulls put Scottie on Magic. That was the beginning though for sure. Bulls had to get past the Pistons finally.

It was sweet

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of overrated.. KC Jones, Bill Sharman? Yeah they were very good players but it's helps to have a true HOFer in Bill Russell to pull you along.

Saying Bill Russell is overrated is only because he used to be the absolute gold standard for centers and certainly a number of great centers have played since his time.

But he basically transformed the sport and was a key component on one of the greatest pro sport dynasties of all time. No biggie.

great and overrated are not exclusive statements. He would be a HoF player in any generation, he is only overrated because people think he is a top 10 player all time, and he just isn't.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want overrated, how about Shag O'Neil. Nice to be a 7 foot center playing a foot from the basket.

One bad mofo in the paint on D and scored 25 or so game? Free throws? totally different story. Center's today barely even have post moves like Shaq developed.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One bad mofo in the paint on D and scored 25 or so game? Free throws? totally different story. Center's today barely even have post moves like Shaq developed.

PatsFan is acting like Shaq was the only 7-footer to ever play the game. There are lots of guys who are his height but practically no one could do what Shaq could do. I really only started watching basketball in the mid-90s, so I can't speak about the time before then . . . but he's one of the top 5 players that I've seen play.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, as I posted earlier, he's not overrated. But he is a product of the era he played in. I think he'd be a very good player in any era and maybe even still an HOF'er.

But he wouldn't put up the numbers he did or have the number of rings he has in any subsequent era.