• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Most Overrated/Underrated

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree on Vladdy. The 130 OPS+ and 17 WAR thru age 25 sounds good, but he's only had two seasons with an OPS+ of 130 or higher (next best is 122 this year). he's wowed in the HR derby and minor leagues, but his power numbers aside from 2021 haven't been that impressive (three seasons with an ISO below .200, and only a .202 career ISO). he needs to get more lift in his swing and stop hitting so many ground balls. hard hit and exit velocity only matter so much when you hit the ball into the dirt on a regular basis. he's been a good major leaguer, but more good than great.
On the plus side, it looks like he's in better shape this year than he used to be. A couple years ago it looked like he was on a path to becoming morbidly obese to the point where he'd be out of baseball by the time he was 32 or something. (ok, morbidly obese is an exaggeration but he definitely looks like he's in better shape this season)

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the plus side, it looks like he's in better shape this year than he used to be. A couple years ago it looked like he was on a path to becoming morbidly obese to the point where he'd be out of baseball by the time he was 32 or something. (ok, morbidly obese is an exaggeration but he definitely looks like he's in better shape this season)
he just lost 25 lbs he cut his hair :suds:

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philadelphia did not overpay to keep Nola. It seems like at least half of their fans are less than thrilled with him overall. In what sense do you see him as overrated?

Prior to 2022 and 2023, I was a Phillies fan that was on the trade Aaron Nola/ don’t resign Aaron Nola train. For two seasons I had my eye on Corbin Burnes and his issues in Milwaukee with arbitration getting ugly and I wanted the Phils to go that direction.

I was wrong. I had seen Nola fail down the stretch in numerous seasons. In 2022 September he was lights out. He was great in both playoffs. Nola is all day consistent. The problem is that with his stuff if he isn’t living on the black and he misses, in Citizens Bank Park his mistakes are home runs.

I’m very pleased to have Nola now. I don’t think he’s a top 10 arm in baseball. I think he is top 5-7 in the NL. Starting pitching is expensive. I think Nola’s deal is fair for both parties.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo, he's a poor man's Hamels. Not HOF, but HOVG
This is a great comparison. Ironically, they may also be the best home grown pitchers the Phillies have had in my lifetime.