• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who was the most overrated player in NBA History

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny you should Mention Stockton. How Many MVPs did he Win? Seeing as he had 5 Seasons Better than Nashs Best Season he should have at least 4 MVP awards right....

Nash is without a Doubt the Most Overrated Player. Just compare his Numbers to a True Player Like Stockton.

Nashs Best Seasons for Assists would be 898. That would rank as 10th Best Compared to Stockton. Stockton had 5 Seasons with over 1,100 Assists.
Nashs best season in FG% was .532. That would rank as Stocktons 6th best season.
Nashs best season in Steals was 85. That would rank as Stocktons 19th Best Season.
Stockton averaged more Blocks per Game.
Nash Averaged more Turnovers.
Nash only averaged 1.5 More PPG

Stockton Obliterates Nash in Every Stat, Nash was good at. And the few Nash has the Advantage, Stockton is very close.

If Nash was Good then Stockton was a god...

Nash's career EFG percentage was better than Stockton's, E for efficiency takes 3 pt shooting into account, Nash was one of the best ever in 3 pt shooting.
Also, no question Stockton had the better career, Nash was a late bloomer, he hadn't played that much basketball when he came into the league, at least not compared to other players. He was primarily a soccer player much of his childhood.
Stockton is the #2 pt guard all time.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dude could make ANY defense considerably better.

He's probably the best SF defender of all-time and I'll throw in Lebron for when he feels like playing D (last 4 minutes of the 4th Q).

Last edited:

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was he Jordan? No He did get the Bulls to the ECF vs the Knicks and it went 7 games. Sounds pretty Lebronish early in Lebron's career. As far as hitting big shots? Not really

But he would guard the other team's best player and get you 18-20 with 7-8 boards and 4-5 assists with a couple steals.

#6 all time in steals. 8 - 1st team all NBA defense, only 4 guys have more.

Did Lebron make the NBA all team defense team this year? No Last year? No

Not many players have been able to play anywhere against most at player offense AND be a truly t off ball defender like Pippen was.
He's top 5 at any position defensively, top 10 in overall versatility.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny you should Mention Stockton. How Many MVPs did he Win? Seeing as he had 5 Seasons Better than Nashs Best Season he should have at least 4 MVP awards right....
Nash wouldn't have any MVPs if he played in MJs era so your argument is a little silly outside of saying that Stockton was better than Nash and Id imagine that most people would agree with that point.

Whats funny is that if you're going by win shares, the guy Nash robbed with his MVPs isnt who most people associate (Shaq and Lebron). Dirk had highest win shares both years.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many players have been able to play anywhere against most at player offense AND be a truly t off ball defender like Pippen was.
He's top 5 at any position defensively, top 10 in overall versatility.

Rodman and Pippen both in top 10 for defending multiple positions. Add in Jordan. :nod: Kukoc, Harper and Longley. Good luck with that

But..but..but the teams today are so much better :L

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horry was a role player, Russell was by far the most valuable player on 13 championship teams. The 2 years he DIDN'T win titles over 15 years he was insured.

By far??

John Havlicek, Bob Cousy, Sam Jones, Tom Heinsohn, KC Jones, Bill Sharman...

His teams were absolutely stacked.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodman and Pippen both in top 10 for defending multiple positions. Add in Jordan. :nod: Kukoc, Harper and Longley. Good luck with that

But..but..but the teams today are so much better :L

Man, I'd really love to see Kukoc in today's game. He was ahead of his time.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 Hall of Famers on his team
8 team era without a salary cap.
Only about 2 of those 8 teams were financially sound.
50% guaranteed chance of making the conference finals if you just submitted the paperwork to play.

All that winning is a bit over-rated if you put it in context.

Kawahi, Westbrook, Curry, Lebron, Davis, and Durant on the same team.
Let them be coached by Popovich, Riley, and Jackson.
Let all the other teams be worried about payroll and salary cap issues.
Give them a mathematical certainty of 50% or more to make the conference finals every year.

I wonder how many titles they could win???

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 Hall of Famers on his team
8 team era without a salary cap.
Only about 2 of those 8 teams were financially sound.
50% guaranteed chance of making the conference finals if you just submitted the paperwork to play.

All that winning is a bit over-rated if you put it in context.

Kawahi, Westbrook, Curry, Lebron, Davis, and Durant on the same team.
Let them be coached by Popovich, Riley, and Jackson.
Let all the other teams be worried about payroll and salary cap issues.
Give them a mathematical certainty of 50% or more to make the conference finals every year.

I wonder how many titles they could win???

They would win fewer than Russell did. Russell put several of those early Celtic players in The HOF. Tommy Heinsohn and K.C. Jones would never have gotten in without the titles.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would win fewer than Russell did. Russell put several of those early Celtic players in The HOF. Tommy Heinsohn and K.C. Jones would never have gotten in without the titles.

Add Jam Jones and frank Ramsey to the list of players who rode Russell's coat tails to The HOF.
Only Cousy and Havlicek would be in without the titles, and Havlicek was a rookie in 1962.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a clear #2 option on a team that won 6 championships is over rated? Why?

Yes he is overrated. Most have him high on the all-time list. I would put him much lower. Great great defender but the rest of his game was overrated, he couldnt shoot either. His peak year compared to others are just not good enough to put him higher.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo it's tough to really overrate him with all the titles, and his impact on getting them. Trust me I know about the supporting cast, and not many teams being in the league, etc.

Take Russell away from that team and maybe they win half the titles they actually did. The most basic of things that win basketball games...rebound, outlet pass, defend...he excelled at it...the Celtics were known for their vaunted fastbreak offense, with him there was no fastbreak....Auerbach said many times, Russell was the glue of the Celtics.

I was a Kareem/Laker fan growing up and I rooted for any team that played the Celtics.

So basically you are describing a really good role player. That is exactly why I dont have him as a great.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When viewed as a top 10 guy(or better than Hakeem), yes overrated.

Overrated never meant bad, just means people think more of him than he earned.

Actually Horry was the starter on those great Houston teams it wasnt until later in his years he became such a great bench player

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:...Putting Robert Horry (a bench guy) in the same sentence as Russell who was the leader of the Celtics. Hilarious.

Never compared them once. Winning rings doesnt make you one of the greatest. It's pretty easy to look like the greatest player ever surrounding by 6 HOFrs. You say Billy made all these players HOF caliber. That is bullshit. Great team player, but Billy was more than a great role player and great defender. He would have a very tough time scoring in this league, comparinf him to a guy like Hakeem who could dominate this years league.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Russell over The Dream, but Olajuwan was a great player as well.

Ok now you are just trolling. Hakeem and Kareem are the two best centers ever IMO. Wilt is right there at 3. Russell already has been dominated by Wilt his entire career, imagine him against those guys. A little 6'7" 210 pound "center". He would get pummeled just like Wilt did it to him. Like I said great defender and especially for his size but vastly overrated, mediocre scorer and lacked size. He is more than a great bench player that won a bunch of titles with a ton of great player. Comparing him to guy like Hakeem whos primes was one of the best ever is just dumb.

Everything that comes out of your mouth is bullshit man. Go back to the Politics forum.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok now you are just trolling. Hakeem and Kareem are the two best centers ever IMO. Wilt is right there at 3. Russell already has been dominated by Wilt his entire career, imagine him against those guys. A little 6'7" 210 pound "center". He would get pummeled just like Wilt did it to him. Like I said great defender and especially for his size but vastly overrated, mediocre scorer and lacked size. He is more than a great bench player that won a bunch of titles with a ton of great player. Comparing him to guy like Hakeem whos primes was one of the best ever is just dumb.

Everything that comes out of your mouth is bullshit man. Go back to the Politics forum.
Bill Russell would have problems with the big white guy at the rec. who played high school ball and is a CPA.

DeAndre Jordan would whoop his ass.

ChrisWebber

Changed my password to "incorrect"
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robert Horry and Samaki Walker.. scrubs

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he is overrated. Most have him high on the all-time list. I would put him much lower. Great great defender but the rest of his game was overrated, he couldnt shoot either. His peak year compared to others are just not good enough to put him higher.

Pippen?

Great defender but... 18 a game, 7 boards, 5 assists isn't good?

Great defender, good offensive player.... I'd say he's not top 10 or 20 all time but he's probably the best SF defender of all time and the guy can get you 18,7,5 a night. That's pretty bad ass

Top 50 no doubt

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron on the NBA 1st team all D this year? 2nd team?

Last year? I guess he's not really a great all around player any more