• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who was the most overrated player in NBA History

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo it's tough to really overrate him with all the titles, and his impact on getting them. Trust me I know about the supporting cast, and not many teams being in the league, etc.

Take Russell away from that team and maybe they win half the titles they actually did. The most basic of things that win basketball games...rebound, outlet pass, defend...he excelled at it...the Celtics were known for their vaunted fastbreak offense, with him there was no fastbreak....Auerbach said many times, Russell was the glue of the Celtics.

I was a Kareem/Laker fan growing up and I rooted for any team that played the Celtics.

John Wooden called Russell ''the greatest defensive man I ever saw'', and he had a few great defenders himself through the years.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who ever thought of Scottie as a top 10 guy? Or better than Hakeem?

Pippen played in an era where he probably have trouble being in the top 25. So who is rating him so high?

I thought you had been talking about Russell with your statement. I don't think Pippen was overrated at all.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you had been talking about Russell with your statement. I don't think Pippen was overrated at all.

The best thing I can say about Pippen is he could make any team in The NBA better, not just this season either, just about any team ever. His defense, both press and off ball was amazing, plus he was a great finisher and an excellent ball handler. Just because he wasn't cut out to be the go to guy doesn't diminish his value at all.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing I can say about Pippen is he could make any team in The NBA better, not just this season either, just about any team ever. His defense, both press and off ball was amazing, plus he was a great finisher and an excellent ball handler. Just because he wasn't cut out to be the go to guy doesn't diminish his value at all.

He was the ideal second fiddle.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How did any team run their offense against Pippen, MJ and Rodman ?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Wooden called Russell ''the greatest defensive man I ever saw'', and he had a few great defenders himself through the years.

He was a smart defender which most good defenders are.

That said, he frustrated Chamberlin more than stopped him...Wilt's stat line was always pretty good vs the Celtics but Russell kept him from dominating games like he did other teams.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way. He lead the league in assists 5x. Was an 8x A.S., a 7x all NBA selection, 2x MVP & only John Stockton & Jason Kidd dished out more assists.

Funny you should Mention Stockton. How Many MVPs did he Win? Seeing as he had 5 Seasons Better than Nashs Best Season he should have at least 4 MVP awards right....

Nash is without a Doubt the Most Overrated Player. Just compare his Numbers to a True Player Like Stockton.

Nashs Best Seasons for Assists would be 898. That would rank as 10th Best Compared to Stockton. Stockton had 5 Seasons with over 1,100 Assists.
Nashs best season in FG% was .532. That would rank as Stocktons 6th best season.
Nashs best season in Steals was 85. That would rank as Stocktons 19th Best Season.
Stockton averaged more Blocks per Game.
Nash Averaged more Turnovers.
Nash only averaged 1.5 More PPG

Stockton Obliterates Nash in Every Stat, Nash was good at. And the few Nash has the Advantage, Stockton is very close.

If Nash was Good then Stockton was a god...

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did any team run their offense against Pippen, MJ and Rodman ?

They didn't. Only team in NBA history to have 3 - 1st team NBA all defense in the same year.

GoShaqDaddy needs to go look what Pippen did in game 5 of the 1991 finals while defending Magic.

Top 10 all time? No

Top 50? yes

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice the first minute of this how he picks up a guy full court.

The rest is sick. Dude guarded Magic, Barkley, Ewing...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He did buckle under the pressure of being the top dog, but he is the player you would want to play with the most if you are a superstar.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The dude could make ANY defense considerably better.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a smart defender which most good defenders are.

That said, he frustrated Chamberlin more than stopped him...Wilt's stat line was always pretty good vs the Celtics but Russell kept him from dominating games like he did other teams.

What he did was isolate Wilt so Philly or LA couldn't run their offense, that's part of how he was such a great TEAM defender.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did buckle under the pressure of being the top dog, but he is the player you would want to play with the most if you are a superstar.

Was he Jordan? No He did get the Bulls to the ECF vs the Knicks and it went 7 games. Sounds pretty Lebronish early in Lebron's career. As far as hitting big shots? Not really

But he would guard the other team's best player and get you 18-20 with 7-8 boards and 4-5 assists with a couple steals.

#6 all time in steals. 8 - 1st team all NBA defense, only 4 guys have more.

Did Lebron make the NBA all team defense team this year? No Last year? No

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you got me fired up