• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When Michael Sam the gay player from Missouri is not drafted what will the excuses be?

TENN.SPORTS.FAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and you bought into it, there was nothing historical about it whatsoever. As JDM said, he is not the first, nor will he be the last.

I guess you and i have a different definition of history. Sams being the first openly gay player drafted in the NFL is history to me.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because that's how it will be presented. You can't be that oblivious to how the media works. If he didn't confirm it to them when they asked, they'd run it anyways and present it like he's hiding it.

It's how the world works.

Yes I know and I agree, he should acknowledge it if asked if he is proud of who he, there is no disagreement there. My point is it should be a complete non-issue because as you said, he is not the first gay player and everyone knows that.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still preferable to how it would have been presented if he didn't own it, though. I think he's right.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I know and I agree, he should acknowledge it if asked if he is proud of who he, there is no disagreement there. My point is it should be a complete non-issue because as you said, he is not the first gay player and everyone knows that.

Should be? Sure. Religion's influence on our country makes it a much greater deal than it otherwise would be, though.

The circus was unavoidable, so owning the narrative as much as possible was really his best option.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you and i have a different definition of history. Sams being the first openly gay player drafted in the NFL is history to me.

I guess if you are gay, it is a little bit more of acceptance, but honestly beyond that I do not see why. As I said, it should be a non-issue. A football player got drafted, that is all I care about, he can be whoever he wants to be beyond that and I could give a flying fuck, it is his life, he can keep whatever he wants with his life. I am not even saying do not flaunt it in front of me, I just do not care and he can do what he wants. It is when things that are non-issues get made into a spectacle that it is bullshit and it affects everyone else and it should not. Yippee!!! Sam is gay, can we move along please now?

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow this thread took off. Congrats to him there was question out there if he would get drafted. Many thought he wouldn't. I guess it was close to not being drafted with like 7 picks left in the draft.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Prediction:

Sam is on the Rams until the very last cut down to 53 & then the team has glowing opinions of him but says he didn't quite make it & absolutely thinks he'll make it with another team (but he probably won't). We'll see...

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, when you throw it into the hands of the media it grows into something it should not be, a big deal.

There was no way this wouldn't be a big deal. Tell us how he could have handled it differently in a realistic way? It appears most of his teammates knew he was gay and so did the coaches. They found out that some of the scouts and NFL teams were getting wind of it. It was really a matter of time before it got to the media and the blew the lid off of it. He decided if his life story had to be told that he might as well own it.

I'm not sure how some of you aren't seeing the stories like this in other areas. The media has blown up every don't ask don't tell horror story and every other segment of society where the LBGT issues have risen.

Blame this on him all you like, but this was going to happen no matter what. Never before has a gay football player been this close to the NFL that wasn't deeply in the closet. I know many of you wish he would stay in the closet as well. You would all rather he lives a lie and stays in fear of being outed by some disgruntled lover or nosy media so you wouldn't have to be inconvenienced by this.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be? Sure. Religion's influence on our country makes it a much greater deal than it otherwise would be, though.

The circus was unavoidable, so owning the narrative as much as possible was really his best option.

The only reason I find it even remotely humorous is the uproar it is causing the christian communities that observed it on ESPN. Otherwise, it just caused me the opportunity to listen to the commentary about the other 7th round picks that I actually did want to hear about instead of something that should have been a non-issue and moved on from, instead of going back, and back, and back.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prediction:

Sam is on the Rams until the very last cut down to 53 & then the team has glowing opinions of him but says he didn't quite make it & absolutely thinks he'll make it with another team (but he probably won't). We'll see...

About what I expect. I'm not sure if anyone will be surprised when he doesn't make the cut. He was one of the very last people taken and according to the media that covered this pick from the Rams war room it was kind of a 'fuck it, why not' pick more than a we really want this kid pick.

I'm sure some will blame his being gay on why he is cut, but those will be the minority voices and it really doesn't matter. The first openly gay player was drafted. The next one won't matter nearly as much. By the second or third it will be a footnote at best and the homophobes will have less to bitch about.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no way this wouldn't be a big deal. Tell us how he could have handled it differently in a realistic way? It appears most of his teammates knew he was gay and so did the coaches. They found out that some of the scouts and NFL teams were getting wind of it. It was really a matter of time before it got to the media and the blew the lid off of it. He decided if his life story had to be told that he might as well own it.

I'm not sure how some of you aren't seeing the stories like this in other areas. The media has blown up every don't ask don't tell horror story and every other segment of society where the LBGT issues have risen.

Blame this on him all you like, but this was going to happen no matter what. Never before has a gay football player been this close to the NFL that wasn't deeply in the closet. I know many of you wish he would stay in the closet as well. You would all rather he lives a lie and stays in fear of being outed by some disgruntled lover or nosy media so you wouldn't have to be inconvenienced by this.
Wizard ,I would agree with most what you have posted. If not for the bullshit last night I would say that he just wanted to let everyone know before the draft that he was gay. He and the media took it over the top IMO.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do not think I am just annoyed about the Sam story, I get annoyed whenever anything that is made into a bigger deal than what it is to something it should not be, a feeding frenzy. So Sam is gay, I still say the same thing I said the first day I found out, so what, but good for him.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wizard ,I would agree with most what you have posted. If not for the bullshit last night I would say that he just wanted to let everyone know before the draft that he was gay. He and the media took it over the top IMO.

Completely agree with this.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't argue it was over the top, but I'm not sure it proves anything about his motives or the circumstances under which he came out. It was fairly well documented at the time. He didn't show up to that interview wearing a dress or something. He's a really gay gay and wants to be himself. Doesn't feel the need to put a filter on. There are actually quite a lot of gays out there like that. They aren't all after an agenda. They are just being who they are.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Anyone who supports or roots for a player just because he's a homo' is an idiot. Sexual preference is not a virtue or an accomplishment.

Just like being black is not a virtue or an accomplishment. Or white. Or being a woman. Or enjoying games of Pokémon cards or Dungeons and Dragons.

Now actually getting a single sack in the NFL? That would be an accomplishment. But I doubt he does it. Go prove me wrong Mikey.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't argue it was over the top, but I'm not sure it proves anything about his motives or the circumstances under which he came out. It was fairly well documented at the time. He didn't show up to that interview wearing a dress or something. He's a really gay gay and wants to be himself. Doesn't feel the need to put a filter on. There are actually quite a lot of gays out there like that. They aren't all after an agenda. They are just being who they are.
Not to filter at all, but if you didn't see that as a set-up from the beginning.....look again. It was staged.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who supports or roots for a player just because he's a homo' is an idiot. Sexual preference is not a virtue or an accomplishment.

Just like being black is not a virtue or an accomplishment. Or white. Or being a woman. Or enjoying games of Pokémon cards or Dungeons and Dragons.

Now actually getting a single sack in the NFL? That would be an accomplishment. But I doubt he does it. Go prove me wrong Mikey.
:agree: This is football. The best player on the field is what matters.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to filter at all, but if you didn't see that as a set-up from the beginning.....look again. It was staged.

As I said, I don't think it matters if it was. That doesn't mean the whole situation was for attention from the beginning. I'm sure they got together and planned on that while they waited for the draft week to arrive. Doesn't mean his coming out or the manner in which he did was an agenda thing. that's what I was saying.