• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What the hell is a Seahawk?

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you probably guessed, the "OP", myself, and others were simply poking a little (off usual topic) fun at what was heretofore generally perceived as an entirely fictitious object. I assure you there was no intention to offend your apparently delicate sensibilities. While I appreciate your offer to share the encyclopedic version of the story, I have to admit that I do not have a vested interest in the more literal aspect of the "seahawk" itself. I'm pretty sure the Chief will understand that no malice was intended. Do however, consider us duly educated on the matter. If its all the same to you though, I will continue to relegate my interpretation of the now famous "seahawk" to the football team currently based in Seattle.

Now can we go back to cutting up and acting like children ?

Sure thing, pal....but why the heck did Denver ever change their logo from an actual bucking bronco or even the letter D......to just merely an inconspicuous horse's head?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even looking at the logo today, objectively.... it's easy to see the native american influence within it, and how closely it resembles the hawk on top of some totem poles. Not to mention the colors....
blue to represent the sky and water (river/ocean)...and green for the trees and land.

I said it came from native art, but that particular image likely came from a ceremonial mask. I remember seeing pictures of them back then. Those masks were from tribes in the alaska/canada coast area and their art form moved south was eventually adopted into local totems and other forms. The controversy was it wasn't close enough to the actual form of the local versions from those totems. And I believe the actual bird of the masks was an Eagle.

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure thing, pal....but why the heck did Denver ever change their logo from an actual bucking bronco or even the letter D......to just merely an inconspicuous horse's head?
man...heck if I know. I keep telling them they have to clear that kind of crap through me, but do you think they listen at all ? I dont know who that Pat Bowlen thinks he is. I kinda like the new logo better though myself, the "D" may have been cool "old school" but it was kinda boring

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so they Alka-seltzer and not horses?
DERP.jpg

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seahawk

. The team was originally going to be called the Seattle Kings, but the name Seattle Seahawks ("Seahawk" is another name for Osprey) was selected on June 17, 1975 after a public naming contest which drew more than 20,000 entries and over 1,700 different names.

:suds:

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida had a Seahawks team many years ago

Back to the OP.
Yes, a Seahawk is an Osprey.
We have our very own for every home game. She leads the team out of the entry tunnel on game day. Her name is Taima and is an awesome bird. I believe she is an Auger Hawk which I suppose is similar to an Osrey.
Seattle Seahawks Entrance - YouTube

They devour and feast on horse meat.

ok...j/k about the horsey part, but it sounded good at the time.

Lots of osprey in FL, where we live I see them every day, they are very skilled hunters, and must have incredible strength, they circle the water and dive on fish, while the prey is grasped in their talons, they are able to pull themselves up out of the water and fly off, it is quite fascinating to watch. They also have very distinctive calls, you always know when an osprey is about. It appears they are also excellent nest builders and parents.

Osprey are just fucking cool. Seattle fans can be rightfully proud of their mascot.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sea for Seattle

Hawk for... Cause why not?

Seahawks

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God you Seattle guys are so sensitive. I'm just havin some fun with ya. It's been 2 weeks of anticipation for this game and I'm a bit bored so chill out and quit being so freaking serious.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
God you Seattle guys are so sensitive. I'm just havin some fun with ya. It's been 2 weeks of anticipation for this game and I'm a bit bored so chill out and quit being so freaking serious.

I know you were busting our balls. I was just busting your balls back with my horsemeat picture. My first choice would have been to post a gif of the a Broncos logo being sent to the glue factory, but I couldn't find any such pics. Sorry if my sense of humor is a little sick and twisted.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you were busting our balls. I was just busting your balls back with my horsemeat picture. My first choice would have been to post a gif of the a Broncos logo being sent to the glue factory, but I couldn't find any such pics. Sorry if my sense of humor is a little sick and twisted.

That pic didn't bother me in the least. :suds:

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of osprey in FL, where we live I see them every day, they are very skilled hunters, and must have incredible strength, they circle the water and dive on fish, while the prey is grasped in their talons, they are able to pull themselves up out of the water and fly off, it is quite fascinating to watch. They also have very distinctive calls, you always know when an osprey is about. It appears they are also excellent nest builders and parents.

Osprey are just fucking cool. Seattle fans can be rightfully proud of their mascot.

That was an outstanding post and I thank you for it.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tech_G_d has this one correct. An Osprey is a flesh-eating bird (fish and small rodents) that is associated with the foundation of the Seattle nickname.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team logo is based on local native american art, not necessarily the "thunderbird" myth. pretty much every bird depicted with that style looks the same, except the owl.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I CLEARLY win, you added nothing but mythical answers, like a Seahawk. Really, you couldn't say, Seahawk. One that is a region of the sea. Like a steeler. A Jet, WTF does NY have to do with a jet? Packer, still reaching, Bronco, really, that is a nickname, kind of like a Seahawk. Finf me a HORSE that is actually named a bronco? Really.

Nice try 2nd place, I STILL WIN.:suds:

The lack of intelligence and education here is stunning. No wonder this country is in trouble.

Seahawk is a regional and common name for the raptor known officially as an Osprey.

The Jets? New York’s original AFL team was called the Titans. When Sonny Werblin took over the franchise in 1963, he changed the team name to Jets to reflect the modern approach of his team and the star-studded performances he hoped his team would produce.

Bronco is a spanish word, or bronc, used in the United States, northern Mexico and Canada to refer to an untrained horse or one that habitually bucks

GREEN BAY PACKERS -
The name was a natural since the team was sponsored first by the Indian Packing Company and later the Acme Packing Company. Although both companies went out of business, the team prospered under the name Packers.

Seahawks are hard to find but I found a picture of one:

1653282_725908040761226_1428953071_n.jpg

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and people say Seahawk fans are the worst fans on the internet?

This is the kind of stuff we have to put up with on every forum we go to. ESPN, CBS, Sportshoopla, Twitter...you name it

Your fanbase did kind of bring it upon yourselves.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's been pretty thoroughly established that everyone here (including the OP), knows what a Seachicken is.