• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We may not have Chris Harris for much longer

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be in the minority here but I have no problem with Chris Harris wanting to become the number one paid CB in the NFL. He has proven to me that he is one of the best. Very underrated at the beginning of his career nationally. I’d like a contract where he’s paid as one of the top but we can get out of it after a few years if he starts to lose his game. Sorta like Talib’s contract was set up. (But not for that manyyears) Right bow Xavien Howard is the top paid CB in the NFl and he is good and young so I get it Harris isn’t as young as him but he is still better then him. Harris should definitely be one of the top paid CB’s in the NFL and if you don’t agree with that or are expecting him to take leas to be loyal to us put yourself into his shoes. He was a big part of why we won the Super Bowl. He gave us many years being underpaid compared to cornerbacks not as good as him. If he doesn’t show a sign of let down this year he deserves it. Whether that is with us or someone else.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also feel like Denver from the front office standpoint is doing a great job with the contract they just gave him. Give him what he deserves and earned through proving himself. Yet, don’t jump into the richest contract at the position with a new coaching staff. Give him his 12 million this year and if he plays up to the same level next year and fits in the system with the coaching staff and they feel it with him then show him the money. I think from both sides this made sense.

Be thankful as a fan unlike a lot of teams they aren’t jumping right into a huge contract for a guy who hasn’t even played a down with this coaching staff yet.

I get it! Harris deserves to be paid as one of the richest CB’s and the new staff deserves to evaluate of they agree within their system.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris is one of my favorite current Broncos but the team will have to prioritize who they want to keep. There is not enough cap space to pay all the guys in line with what they are worth.

We have about $53 million in cap space next year per a quick google search.

I believe next year Denver may concentrate on their free agents more then other team’s free agents. I am hoping the Flacco experiment lasts 1 year as that would mean Lock is ready to take over and it would free up another 20+ million.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say let him get that “richest CB contract” somewhere else if that’s what he truly wants. Pittsburgh didn’t keep a dominant linebacker corps by paying everyone top dollar. They simply groomed eventual replacements and let other teams pay top dollar while Pittsburgh’s defense remained dominant.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB’s with Harris coverage skills don’t grow on trees. They are very hard to find. With a solid year in Fangio’s system. Pay him! But I get waiting.

Derek Wolfe and Sanders probably done in Denver after this year.

Hopefully we aren’t winning 5-6 games and only able to re-sign a few of our own free agents.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say let him get that “richest CB contract” somewhere else if that’s what he truly wants. Pittsburgh didn’t keep a dominant linebacker corps by paying everyone top dollar. They simply groomed eventual replacements and let other teams pay top dollar while Pittsburgh’s defense remained dominant.

Pitt’s D hasn’t been so dominant lately. Last year LB was a major weakness for them. One of the weakest in the NFL. Devin Bush will help.

But yeah nobody is as good as Pitt at drafting and grooming. Unfortunately, we are not Pittsburgh and don’t have that method down yet.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitt’s D hasn’t been so dominant lately. Last year LB was a major weakness for them. One of the weakest in the NFL. Devin Bush will help.

But yeah nobody is as good as Pitt at drafting and grooming. Unfortunately, we are not Pittsburgh and don’t have that method down yet.
I refer more to the 1990’s- early 2000’s, but the method is still sound once you can reach that point.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree that Chris Harris has earned being paid top dollar .. He deserves it, no doubt ..

But he'll get that contract whether he harps on it or not in the media .. I just don't see the upside of coming out and publicly stating that he wants to be paid more than newly acquired Kareem Jackson, or else he won't show up ... That's just not the way, IMHO, to build a bond with your new teammates ..

It is an unusual situation in that Harris has been a Bronco through and through - he's been a trooper, a mainstay in the secondary and has built his reputation as a Bronco and has defined what a true Bronco should be .... But he's now "the new guy" returning to his spot -- there are 2 new faces in the secondary - and Callahan has familiarity with Fangio and Co. - so we;ve got a new staff, new additions to the CB spot ( who happen to be Top 10 players at their position ) and Harris coming off a holdout making him the "new guy" ...

Fangio on Harris:

"I don't know him well enough to see .. He told me he'll learn it fast, but I gotta see it and not hear it"

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree that Chris Harris has earned being paid top dollar .. He deserves it, no doubt ..

But he'll get that contract whether he harps on it or not in the media .. I just don't see the upside of coming out and publicly stating that he wants to be paid more than newly acquired Kareem Jackson, or else he won't show up ... That's just not the way, IMHO, to build a bond with your new teammates ..

It is an unusual situation in that Harris has been a Bronco through and through - he's been a trooper, a mainstay in the secondary and has built his reputation as a Bronco and has defined what a true Bronco should be .... But he's now "the new guy" returning to his spot -- there are 2 new faces in the secondary - and Callahan has familiarity with Fangio and Co. - so we;ve got a new staff, new additions to the CB spot ( who happen to be Top 10 players at their position ) and Harris coming off a holdout making him the "new guy" ...

Fangio on Harris:

"I don't know him well enough to see .. He told me he'll learn it fast, but I gotta see it and not hear it"

I hope Fangio pulls him into his office and tells Harris he better damn well play at a Pro Bowl level this year after what the team did for him.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harris did well. He had no particular leverage and still got a 3.5 million dollar raise.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harris did well. He had no particular leverage and still got a 3.5 million dollar raise.
Elway made him the highest paid DB in the room. Sounds like that was his primary concern . Top paid DB on the Broncos.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway made him the highest paid DB in the room. Sounds like that was his primary concern . Top paid DB on the Broncos.

Well - Harris did have to sit there this off season and watch two outsiders get hired on at better than he was being paid. The Broncos didn't have to give Harris a pay raise - as fans we knew he richly deserves to be better paid - so Harris gets to be the to paid DB on the Broncos and he can still be a free agent next year.

I hope he retires as a Denver Bronco. He is Rod Smith only on Defense.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Fangio pulls him into his office and tells Harris he better damn well play at a Pro Bowl level this year after what the team did for him.

I love how a lot of fans think (or feel) Harris owes the team something.

The only thing he owes is to play out his contract. And if within the framework of the union rules he can get his employer to recognize he's outplayed his contract and give him a raise, all the better.

I'm pretty sure taken the comments above, that Harris could go into Elway's office with a straight face and say that John damn well better pay up after the discounted contract I gave you, and never complaining about anything until the last year of his contract.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m pretty sure if Harris doesn’t play to the level of this new contract he’s not going to be the “highest paid CB” come next season.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how a lot of fans think (or feel) Harris owes the team something.

The only thing he owes is to play out his contract. And if within the framework of the union rules he can get his employer to recognize he's outplayed his contract and give him a raise, all the better.

I'm pretty sure taken the comments above, that Harris could go into Elway's office with a straight face and say that John damn well better pay up after the discounted contract I gave you, and never complaining about anything until the last year of his contract.

What’s funny is i quoted a take from Nick Ferguson this morning which I agreed with.

He said Shanahan and parcel would handle the Harris on field situation like
I quoted. Two coaches/GMs he played for.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CHJ is a Bronco for the 2019 season and that's pretty important to this fan. He sounded pretty grateful at his presser and the relationship with the Broncos is still intact. I think the Broncos want to know what he's going to look like this year coming off of an injury and turning 31. At the end of the day it's a business and once next year is over....neither side owes the other a thing. I also hope he only plays as a Bronco but if he can get more money elsewhere for a few years, no one should stand in his way or not understand. Being a professional football player is a very short career.

I'll also add that although Elway didn't need to raise him a dime, I like that the franchise did the right thing. That goes a long way with current players and future free agents who might consider coming here.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philip Lindsay should be on that list to get a raise too. Maybe next off-season if he performs at the same level this year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philip Lindsay should be on that list to get a raise too. Maybe next off-season if he performs at the same level this year.

I agree with this, but he will have to extend his contract - to get more money - which is what CHJ did a few years back.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lindsay can’t extend his contract until after his third season in the league.

Just like Mahomes has to wait until after 2019 season to sign his 300 m dollar deal.