• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We may not have Chris Harris for much longer

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I need a new avatar, I’ll take suggestions here

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually I would agree with you guys, but here’s my take. Harris signed as a UDFA, then he chose loyalty over money and still played at the highest level. It’s time we show a little loyalty back, and give him the financial security to finish his career as a Bronco. I get the business aspect of it, but Harris as a player and a person of exemplary character transcends the financial lines of value.
You obviously flunked out of Belichick 101...

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I need a new avatar, I’ll take suggestions here

Here you go:

ZUsEzeW.jpg

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So looking at the Chris Harris Jr's situation I thought I would look at the guys that are going to be free agents in 2020. The list is long:
Von Miller - He has a team option for 2020 but his cap hit would be $25.6 million. A new deal may be needed.
Emmanuel Sanders - Is an free agent, and depending on how Sutton and Hamilton progress he probably walks.
Derek Wolfe - Is a free agent, and allowed to walk unless he is willing to stay at a discount.
Ron Leary - Is a free agent, and should be allowed to leave.
Shelby Harris - I would say it is 50/50 on if he is given an new contract. It probably depends on how the Dline plays out this season.
Casey Kreiter - He has been reliable, but long snappers are easier to find then some other positions. 50/50 on getting a new contract. Not big money.
Adam Gotsis - I would like to see him resigned, but could be looking at a nice contract.
Justin Simmons - Probably would be 4th or 5th on my list to resign behind Miller, Chris Harris Jr., Connor McGovern, and maybe Gotsis. Probably a nice contract coming. He should thrive in Fangio's system.
Connor McGovern - Another decent contract and maybe one of the more important guys to lock up. We need to to start keeping some Oline around. Chemistry is huge on the oline and changing 2-3 guys every year will not help that.
Andy Janovich - I would like to see him get a new deal, but Full Backs don't get huge money. Might depend on what Aston shows.
Will Parks - He improved his play last year and a guy that would like to see retained, but someone might pay more for him.

Denver has a few big names coming to the end of their contracts, and not all will return.

If I were writing the checks my top 5 would be:
1. Von Miller
2. Chris Harris Jr.
3. Connor McGovern
4. Justin Simmons
5. Adam Gotsis

I think we need to keep the corner stones of our defense together. If we sacrifice the defense for offense then mediocre is all we will be. Keeping the D at a reasonably high level and bringing the offense back to being competent would be my goal.

Just some thoughts.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harris deal complete
1 year restructure

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I don’t get is wasn’t he already under contract this year, what does paying him more money this year but not guaranteeing anything for next year do for the team? On paper it looks like we just gave him more money this year for no benefit.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a GM, is it Elway's job to field the best team possible, even if for just one season ... and as a Bronco fan, I have hopes this time of year, every year ..

I will not use the word "deluded" in reference to John Elway, as in the NFL, anything is possible ... Get into the post season, a good defense and Flacco has played his best in the post season, esp vs the best ..

It's possible

If Elway believes that this team can win a SB this season, more power to 'em .. I'll watch each game with the same hopes, and I am sure there will be times when we're all happy that Harris is out on the field in 2019 .. and hopefully Jan and Feb 2020

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listo wins the contest, as he was the only entry. Thank you my friend

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The no franchise tags puts a little sting into my heart. I still feel if we really want Harris he is more then willing to stay a Bronco as long as he gets what he deserves.

Lets not ignore the fact this guy has been an elite CB since his 3rd season and really hasn’t been paid like one. I get where he is coming from.

Probably want to see how he fits with Fangio before we go all in on him at age 30 though. 3-4 year deal would be nice.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I don’t get is wasn’t he already under contract this year, what does paying him more money this year but not guaranteeing anything for next year do for the team? On paper it looks like we just gave him more money this year for no benefit.

Gets him into camp learning Fangio’s scheme while giving us the ability to sign him to a longer term deal down the road. Seems like to me that Harris has his dollar figure and Denver wants to see how he fits in with Fangio before they pay him that.

The best thing about this is it is not a marriage gone bad. I can see both sides to it.
I feel like Harris gave us a pretty good discount the first time he signed a new contract and now he realizes he should get as much as he can this time around.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gets him into camp learning Fangio’s scheme while giving us the ability to sign him to a longer term deal down the road. Seems like to me that Harris has his dollar figure and Denver wants to see how he fits in with Fangio before they pay him that.

The best thing about this is it is not a marriage gone bad. I can see both sides to it.
I feel like Harris gave us a pretty good discount the first time he signed a new contract and now he realizes he should get as much as he can this time around.

Just saw this from Mike Klis, if Harris really wants to be the highest paid CB in the NFL I don’t see him in Denver next year.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I'm the 4th cornerback this year (in 2019 cash) and after this season I'll hit free agency and be No. 1"

I agree that Harris has been underpaid in comparison to other CBs, however, a quote like this is just discouraging ...

After sitting out of the voluntary workouts, you head into the next phase of acclimating yourself with an entirely new staff lead by a defensive genius .. The two CBs you'll be playing with are brand new to the team, and regardless of what they say, you basically show no respect to Jackson or Callahan with immature, idiotic public comments about wanting to be the highest paid CB on the team in 2019 and the highest paid CB in the NFL "when I hit free agency"

I have no issues with Harris' goals .. But why make a big deal about in the media and for all to see ??

Is it that important to him that he makes sure every NFL follower know that he thinks he's the best ??

I'm surprised and disappointed that he's done this in public ... Again, setting goals and wanting this for himself and his family is great, but what benefit is there in harping on it in public ??

You think that's going to endear him with the new staff, his new teammates or Elway ?

Less is more Chris, geeesh

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SpiritOf77 - Players who sign club friendly contracts - have to defend that decision to other players who think they are making less because of the deal you signed. Harris signed a club friendly contract - and served out the term.

I think the answer to your question about is attitude today is well anchored by his past decision on the last contract. The NFL players - see justice as measured by dollar signs.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Harris' deal even now is the 14th richest contract ever. I'm sure in 2014 it was top 3 ever. Talib in 2014 signed for 9.5 MM a year. CHJ signed for 8.5 MM.