• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Warhammer

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the wake of the DC Universe dumping Henry Cavill as Superman, Cavill just announced on Instagram that he is intent on starting a Warhammer Cinematic Universe. It's not entirely clear whether it will be Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40K, or both.

Moreover, according to The Hollywood Reporter, Cavill and Amazon have secured the rights to Warhammer from Games Workshop and are preparing to produce TV series and films.

For the Emperor!

3g0nexqqoa6a1.jpg

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Passion projects, imho, have the best chance for success. Look at Ryan Reynolds and Deadpool.

I know absolutely zero about Warhammer. Never played the games. But I am intrigued to see what comes from this.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically he dumped Witcher for this?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played 40k tabletop for about five years. Lots to work with there. I suspect Cavill is a better fit with Warhammer fantasy which I know nothing about. 40K Space Marines are supposed to be 7-10 feet tall and jacked like the Rock. Lots of cool Eldar stuff that would be pretty wild with a real budget so I wouldnt rule out 40k...but...fantasy seems like a way safer bet.

Been impressed with a lot of what Cavill has done. Mission Impossible comes to mind as well as Witcher. The Adam Warlock in the recent Guardians game is really similar to Cavill and it looks like the movies are going a different direction. I think Hollywood could use a couple of Cavills.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically he dumped Witcher for this?
Not directly, but at the end of the day, yes.

Though I suspect he will still collect quite a large paycheck from DC since they did sign the contract and he made other decisions based on that contract.

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC and Warner Bros can’t get out of their own way. They had a great license, plenty of adaptable stories and instead chose to remake every DC property into a darker / grittier Batman mold, with illusions that they could copy the MCU blueprint on the cheap.

Cavill represents what could have been, along with the first Wonder Woman movie and the Joker movie. The reality is terrible cinematography, poor adaptations, and apparently hiring a crazed child molester to be The Flash.

I hope Gunn can figure out how to salvage this mess. It likely will take 8 years and $6 billion. Spider-Man and X-men stalled because of too much complication and reboots and DC appears to be headed down the same path now.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC and Warner Bros can’t get out of their own way. They had a great license, plenty of adaptable stories and instead chose to remake every DC property into a darker / grittier Batman mold, with illusions that they could copy the MCU blueprint on the cheap.

Cavill represents what could have been, along with the first Wonder Woman movie and the Joker movie. The reality is terrible cinematography, poor adaptations, and apparently hiring a crazed child molester to be The Flash.

I hope Gunn can figure out how to salvage this mess. It likely will take 8 years and $6 billion. Spider-Man and X-men stalled because of too much complication and reboots and DC appears to be headed down the same path now.
Imho, to get a good product, they need to walk away from the IP for 10-15 years, then do a slow reboot, similar to what Marvel did. Start with a series of solo-movies, only roughly alluding to each other in Easter egg form. 2-3 years later, have a team up movie. Then start doing a bunch of team up movies and bigger Justice League type movies as the bigger story.

It shouldn’t be that hard. It will just take time and patience, but collecting huge paydays along the way.

Instead they tried STARTING with the Justice League without any of the build up. That is like walking down the street and just shoving it into the hot chick you pass. No saying “Hi”. No going to dinner. No making out. No groping. Just sticking it right in her.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh ok, I actually looked at the articles and its 40k for sure. There is definitely enough material to do a MCU-ish type of thing with a 40K universe. Early Space Marine stuff seems like a probable place to start if I had to guess.

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imho, to get a good product, they need to walk away from the IP for 10-15 years, then do a slow reboot, similar to what Marvel did. Start with a series of solo-movies, only roughly alluding to each other in Easter egg form. 2-3 years later, have a team up movie. Then start doing a bunch of team up movies and bigger Justice League type movies as the bigger story.

It shouldn’t be that hard. It will just take time and patience, but collecting huge paydays along the way.

Instead they tried STARTING with the Justice League without any of the build up. That is like walking down the street and just shoving it into the hot chick you pass. No saying “Hi”. No going to dinner. No making out. No groping. Just sticking it right in her.
The only thing that might concern studio execs is what the level of audience fatigue there is for superhero movies. Even Marvel seems to have waned and isn’t dumping as much money in anymore…

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that might concern studio execs is what the level of audience fatigue there is for superhero movies. Even Marvel seems to have waned and isn’t dumping as much money in anymore…
100%. And in 10-15 years, the comic craze will likely be completely over.

Maybe DC is making these crap movies as a direct attack on Marvel. The more crap they produce, the more fatigue that generated in the market and Marvel’s golden goose dies faster.

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100%. And in 10-15 years, the comic craze will likely be completely over.

Maybe DC is making these crap movies as a direct attack on Marvel. The more crap they produce, the more fatigue that generated in the market and Marvel’s golden goose dies faster.
Interesting thought. Spending money on such spectacularly losing efforts seems like just ineptitude. Hiring Gunn makes me think they still think there’s a chance they can salvage the franchise and make some profits.