• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

James Gunn's DC Universe

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like James Gunn's DC Universe will be a big shake-up, possibly a full reboot. Now with Black Adam being a big underperformer at the Box Office, and all the troubles they got from Ezra Miller and Amber Heard, it seems like they will just release what they've already filmed, but scrap everything else and start anew. Yesterday they cancelled Wonder Woman 3. DC are still behaving in a very chaotic way, with different / contradicting news coming out every few weeks. After getting Henry Cavill back in Black Adam, they were supposed to do more Superman movies, with The Flash serving as kind of a soft reboot / relaunching platform for new projects.

Being a DC fan, I hope they release some good movies, but the market is already showing signs of superhero fatigue, with even Marvel projects being less successful than before.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we actually have enough evidence that James Gunn knows what he is doing?

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we actually have enough evidence that James Gunn knows what he is doing?

Not really... but he was given the keys of the car anyway.

Honestly, he's directed some great movies and can't do worse than DC is already doing.

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a cursed franchise. Get ready for another dark & gritty Batman reboot, this time 135% darker and 74% grittier!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really... but he was given the keys of the car anyway.

Honestly, he's directed some great movies and can't do worse than DC is already doing.
DC has some really great actors so they really should be able to leverage that. If you have Cavill, Gadot, the Rock, and Momoa then you should have some great movies

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a cursed franchise. Get ready for another dark & gritty Batman reboot, this time 135% darker and 74% grittier!

Dark and gritty works great for Batman, and Batman / Batman adjacent stories like Joker are the only DC movies that consistently do well. From what I've read, Gunn might reboot the shared universe and includes Ben Affleck's Batman, but The Batman and the Joker sequels will continue as planned.

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dark and gritty works great for Batman, and Batman / Batman adjacent stories like Joker are the only DC movies that consistently do well. From what I've read, Gunn might reboot the shared universe and includes Ben Affleck's Batman, but The Batman and the Joker sequels will continue as planned.
He's a ridiculous character, at this point. Everything DC/WB does is dark & gritty, whether it's Batman or not, and it's long since past when the legacy of Batman has been affected. I agree that better planning needs to happen. The last time any DC property was well planned, was the Nolan trilogy. Since then, it's been a pile of weird, dark garbage that looks like a cheap imitation of the MCU.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC has some really great actors so they really should be able to leverage that. If you have Cavill, Gadot, the Rock, and Momoa then you should have some great movies

The problem is that the brand has been tainted by too many terrible movies. I haven't seen Black Adam, but from what I've read, it's a fun movie featuring The Rock, one of the world's biggest stars. Those two facts alone should be enough to sell tickets, but the movie ended up making less money than even Shang-Chi or The Eternals, the least marketable Marvel movies.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that the brand has been tainted by too many terrible movies. I haven't seen Black Adam, but from what I've read, it's a fun movie featuring The Rock, one of the world's biggest stars. Those two facts alone should be enough to sell tickets, but the movie ended up making less money than even Shang-Chi or The Eternals, the least marketable Marvel movies.
Gunn seems like someone who can turn that around... although I'm not sure I'd trust him with everything. A lot of gamers I've talked with think the 2021 Guardians of the Galaxy game is better written than either Guardians movie. (It won best narrative at the video game awards last year) That said, it certainly borrows many of the ideas from the movies.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gunn seems like someone who can turn that around... although I'm not sure I'd trust him with everything. A lot of gamers I've talked with think the 2021 Guardians of the Galaxy game is better written than either Guardians movie. (It won best narrative at the video game awards last year) That said, it certainly borrows many of the ideas from the movies.

Yeah we don't know, and it's difficult to compare movies (particularly movies that are bound to an existing universe) to video games, but Gunn has proven that he can make great movies. His first GotG is top tier MCU, and The Suicide Squad is one of the very few truly good movies on the DCEU.

Of course, being able to make good movies is not the same as being able to succeed as the CEO of DC Studios. As a DC fan I wish he becomes DC's Kevin Feige, but he has a tough task ahead of him, with the brand carrying a ton of baggage.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah we don't know, and it's difficult to compare movies (particularly movies that are bound to an existing universe) to video games, but Gunn has proven that he can make great movies. His first GotG is top tier MCU, and The Suicide Squad is one of the very few truly good movies on the DCEU.

Of course, being able to make good movies is not the same as being able to succeed as the CEO of DC Studios. As a DC fan I wish he becomes DC's Kevin Feige, but he has a tough task ahead of him, with the brand carrying a ton of baggage.
GotG and Suicide Squad are both 'bad' guys playing good guys. It works. They're also slight subversions of more traditional comic book tropes.

Id also say the first GotG is top tier MCU...but it also kinda doesnt stick the landing. That said, its probably the biggest success in the MCU from an ideas standpoint so I get why you'd want someone like that in charge of ideas.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GotG and Suicide Squad are both 'bad' guys playing good guys. It works. They're also slight subversions of more traditional comic book tropes.

Id also say the first GotG is top tier MCU...but it also kinda doesnt stick the landing. That said, its probably the biggest success in the MCU from an ideas standpoint so I get why you'd want someone like that in charge of ideas.
What Gunn brings is he’s more than just a superhero guy when it to comes to screen writing. I don’t know if he still wants to keep the DCEU “dark” but he’s had success with that tone in the past with movies like Slither and The Dawn of the Dead remake.

Now I know those are straight horror movies but Guillermo del Toro just proved with Multiverse of Madness that there is an audience for that kind of superhero movie in today’s world.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
batman-dark.gif

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ashamed to say I sat through that movie. Family was involved. In fairness to me, I did fall asleep about 50% in because my heart or neurotransmitters or something took pity on me.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Announcement!

James Gunn said:
Peter & I have a DC slate ready to go, which we couldn’t be more over-the-moon about; we’ll be able to share some exciting information about our first projects at the beginning of the new year.

James Gunn said:
Among those on the slate is Superman. In the initial stages, our story will be focusing on an earlier part of Superman's life, so the character will not be played by Henry Cavill.

James Gunn said:
But we just had a great meeting with Henry and we’re big fans and we talked about a number of exciting possibilities to work together in the future.

4840qr1ce06a1.jpg

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad, because Henry Cavill could have been a great Superman and deserved better movies... And I believe that "Man of Steel" is underrated. It's a flawed movie, but there's a ton of greatness in it.

But the Snyderverse is just dead, despite having some great characters and portrayals. The upcoming Aquaman, Shazam and the Flash movies are the end of the road, I hope they didn't spend too much time universe building in those.

Last edited:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Henry Cavill's statement on Instagram:

NxRduuN.jpg

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Cavill now out of the picture for DC, online fan forums for Game of Thrones, James Bond, and Marvel are all clamoring for Cavill to join their universes.

It's funny because it seems like all the other big franchises want Cavill, while the one franchise that actually has him under contract doesn't want him. After years, DC calls him back for a cameo in Black Adam just to dump him again. DC management is so dumb.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Cavill now seemingly out of the picture for DC, online fan forums for Game of Thrones, James Bond, and Marvel are all clamoring for Cavill to join their universes.

It's funny because it seems like all the other big franchises want Cavill, while the one franchise that actually has him under contract doesn't seem to want him.
He is not a good actor. He just has an amazing look.

is there any character left in Marvel that he could take that he would be a good fit for? A white, American male? I don’t see him as a fit for Marvel.

The only roll I see for him in Bond would be Leiter, but that is a small roll. He can’t be Bond since he isn’t British.

I could see him in GoT somewhere, but I am not familiar enough with unused characters to know where he would fit. But I think GoT should focus on acting ability over raw looks.