• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vikes Fans 2.0

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more so than Ponder would have been. I think Cassels longest ball was 10 yards before the receiver ran with it. I know the longest of the day was that 3 yard dump to Reisner that he got 23 out of. Vikes had more rushing yards than passing.

Make no mistake, Ponder IS a better QB than Cassel is. Zimmer likes guys with experience though. And until they feel Teddy is Reddy, Cassel is likely to get the call. Until he trips on his dick that is. And he will...

Sooner or later. Its in his history... :D

No he's not, if he was he'd be starting! Zimmer has no reason to pick Cassel over Ponder other than he gives the Vikes a better chance to win. Zimmer likes guys with experience? Ponder isn't a rookie!

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cassel is bad, but Ponder is definitely not better.

I really wish we would have just let Teddy go right out of the gates. Now if we pick up some wins it will provide a false sense of reality regarding Cassel and his lack of talent.

Above all I do want to win though. So I guess as long as the wins come..

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
No more so than Ponder would have been. I think Cassels longest ball was 10 yards before the receiver ran with it. I know the longest of the day was that 3 yard dump to Reisner that he got 23 out of. Vikes had more rushing yards than passing.

Make no mistake, Ponder IS a better QB than Cassel is. Zimmer likes guys with experience though. And until they feel Teddy is Reddy, Cassel is likely to get the call. Until he trips on his dick that is. And he will...

Sooner or later. Its in his history... :D

LOL...So what's the reason Cassel gets the start?
Ponder has been in the league long enough to learn the ropes, not a rookie anymore.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Cassel is bad, but Ponder is definitely not better.

I really wish we would have just let Teddy go right out of the gates. Now if we pick up some wins it will provide a false sense of reality regarding Cassel and his lack of talent.

Above all I do want to win though. So I guess as long as the wins come..

I like the fact that they have the option to sit Teddy, it'll just make him that much better IMO..

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I was pretty impressed with the offense against that D.
I can't wait to see how the Vikes defense performs against a starting QB so we can truly evaluate them .

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the fact that they have the option to sit Teddy, it'll just make him that much better IMO..

Don't get me wrong having teddy sit and watch a little rather then being thrown to the wolves could definitely be beneficial I am just hoping that if we reel of a few wins(most likely do it playing a bad team, AP/CP going beast mode or good defense) we don't get some false sense of reality with Cassel playing him this whole year and dare I say it next year?

That's probably just the Twins fan in me getting worried though.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, and if he doesn't get a start all season, I'm ok with that.

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he's not, if he was he'd be starting! Zimmer has no reason to pick Cassel over Ponder other than he gives the Vikes a better chance to win. Zimmer likes guys with experience? Ponder isn't a rookie!

Cassel is not top QB talent, but I don't get how anyone could have watched Ponder's time as the Vikings starter and still said he is better than, or even as good as Cassel. They must have been watching a different Ponder. Forget the straight up stats and watch them play. Ponder consistently missed golde. opportunities to hit open receivers because as he saw it, he had 3 basic options - 1) throw to his first read 2) panic when the first read is not open, bail from the pocket right away and run with it 3) dump it off, even if better options were open. At least Cassel goes through his reads. That and, notice how Greg Jennings was great in Green Bay with Rodgers, then dissapeared in Minnesota with Ponder, then suddenly came back into existence with Cassel at QB? That tells me that Rodgers was amazing, Cassel is serviceable, Ponder sucks and Jennings is still a well above average WR.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Cassel is not top QB talent, but I don't get how anyone could have watched Ponder's time as the Vikings starter and still said he is better than, or even as good as Cassel. They must have been watching a different Ponder. Forget the straight up stats and watch them play. Ponder consistently missed golde. opportunities to hit open receivers because as he saw it, he had 3 basic options - 1) throw to his first read 2) panic when the first read is not open, bail from the pocket right away and run with it 3) dump it off, even if better options were open. At least Cassel goes through his reads. That and, notice how Greg Jennings was great in Green Bay with Rodgers, then dissapeared in Minnesota with Ponder, then suddenly came back into existence with Cassel at QB? That tells me that Rodgers was amazing, Cassel is serviceable, Ponder sucks and Jennings is still a well above average WR.

Exactly it!!
I was a big supporter of giving Ponder time to learn, like Met.
But after last season I realized it wasn't going to happen. Now that Turner has taken over the offense, maybe Ponder would do well sitting and learning for a couple seasons. But it's too late for him as a Viking now.
He would have benefited from sitting for a couple seasons and learning the system like Bridgewater will do, but it just isn't happening for him.
He may go somewhere and excel in the future, but it isn't going to be here.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, Ponder IS a better QB, all the statistics say so. But as to why they are starting Cassel, that is quite easy to explain.

Bridgewater needs coaching. Probably not much before hes ready really. But there are some things they want to make sure he has down before they toss him into the fire. I cant say that I fault them for that. Personally, I would like to see him in there, but I can see the logic in letting him learn.

When Ponder was drafted, the plan was to let him sit 2 years behind a veteran and learn. Well, the "veteran" they picked was McNuggetts, and after 5 games, he quit. So they tossed Ponder in WAY before he was ready. No OTAs, just 9 weeks of training camp and 5 weeks of season and they got him starting, remember? The O line, or at the very least the blocking scheme Muskrat used was for shit. Ponder was running for his life. Even last year, PFF ratings gave Ponder less than 2 seconds to throw the ball in that first game against Detroit. League average was over 3.5 seconds.

So, yes, he developed some bad habits. He had no coaching for those 3 years. The O line played like shit for 3 years. But even at that, Ponders time of possession, 3rd down conversions rates, completion percentage, ect ect ect are better than Cassels. Norv believes that he can coach those bad habits out of Ponder, or Ponder wouldnt be here. Turner has flat out said that Ponder doesnt deserve the criticism he has gotten and he was disappointed in the "fans" that booed him. So right now, rather than starting and continuing with the bad habits, they are coaching him.

That leaves Cassel as the starter. 10 year vet, so they pretty much know they arent going to be able to make any drastic changes to his game. He is set in his ways. So they will start him while they coach the other 2 up, and when they feel Teddy is Reddy, or when Cassel steps on his dick too badly to ignore, he will get yanked.

With AD out this week, look for Cassel to show what he is really made of. I expect the Pats to get at least 3 picks off him on sunday.

Yes, I really am a Vikings fan, but Im also a realist.