• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPCOMING FREE AGENTS THIS YEAR AND NEXT

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would say yes. Not the main reason but they are one of the reason why we have lost to them. Many other things as well.

CB play ranks so low on the list of reasons why Seattle has been beating us that it hardly bears mentioning. Bigger issues have been QB, WRs, OL, DL, and even safety. Heck, TE has been a problem as Vernon has disappeared against Seattle lately. Meanwhile, Seattle has made its living against us on offense with Lynch, big-play tossups, and gimmick plays to the RBs and TEs.

Obviously having Revis would help more than not having Revis. But if we're talking about adding an elite player, I'd much rather have Watt or Suh on defense, and a slew of guys on offense.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think we would even if you subtract some. Just like Seattle won because of Sherman. He was one of the main reasons. Having a Top CB like that is Big. My point is that position is a big reason why the last 2 super winners won. Both had a top CB.

Seattle didn't win because of Sherman. They won because their defense - across the board - is phenomenal. If anything, it was their pass rush that made the biggest difference in that game. Hell, Sherman doesn't even play both sides of the field, so if they had terrible players at the other CB spots or the DB spots, it wouldn't matter how good he is. Instead, they have very good players at those spots. And NE sure as hell didn't win because of Revis. He certainly helped, but they won because of Brady and the receivers.

Your reasoning above is just silly. How many SBs did Revis win before this one? How many has Haden won? How many did Champ Bailey win when he was in his prime? CB is one of eleven defenders on the field. Without other pieces around him, he's not going to make much of difference.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think we will see more in the middle. If someone pays 15 mill for him its a big mistake. Again Im saying what my dream case would be. I would love to land him or Dez but I know the chances are really slim.

The chances of landing Suh and Dez are not slim. They are nonexistent.

Suh will definitely get very close to $15 million/year. He's probably a top-3 DL.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB play ranks so low on the list of reasons why Seattle has been beating us that it hardly bears mentioning. Bigger issues have been QB, WRs, OL, DL, and even safety. Heck, TE has been a problem as Vernon has disappeared against Seattle lately. Meanwhile, Seattle has made its living against us on offense with Lynch, big-play tossups, and gimmick plays to the RBs and TEs.

Obviously having Revis would help more than not having Revis. But if we're talking about adding an elite player, I'd much rather have Watt or Suh on defense, and a slew of guys on offense.

It that was true then we wouldn't be looking to draft a CB in the 1st RD or 2nd rd again after spending our 1st rd pick last year on a CB.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle didn't win because of Sherman. They won because their defense - across the board - is phenomenal. If anything, it was their pass rush that made the biggest difference in that game. Hell, Sherman doesn't even play both sides of the field, so if they had terrible players at the other CB spots or the DB spots, it wouldn't matter how good he is. Instead, they have very good players at those spots. And NE sure as hell didn't win because of Revis. He certainly helped, but they won because of Brady and the receivers.

Your reasoning above is just silly. How many SBs did Revis win before this one? How many has Haden won? How many did Champ Bailey win when he was in his prime? CB is one of eleven defenders on the field. Without other pieces around him, he's not going to make much of difference.

And their best defensive player is Sherman who u don't need to worry about that side of the field he plays on. U somewhat just made my point. Seattle D is built around Sherman.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is like most players his age will look for the big bucks first. I don't see too many young guys choosing Super Bowl over money. They are going to go for the big bucks while they still can, it is big business on both sides.

The 49ers realistically aren't going to get any big name free agents because, 1) Balke does not operate that way 2) The cap situation barring a player dump won't allow for it.

We might as well talk about obtaining Aaron Rodgers cause the odds of obtaining him are no worse than any oher significant free agent.

I agree with this statement for most of it. Cap situation has no impact on my reasoning. If Smith retires and we cut Brooks we can get smith at even 12 mill a season(not that I would give that much.) Right now we have about 5 mill in cap when everything is said and done, then add another 6.5 mill in smith and then throw in brooks 7. mill and now you have 18 million in cap space. We have plenty to sign Suh. Yes it would leave us thin to sign others but Im ok with that. A

Again do I think they will do this No but cap reason makes no sense. 49ers can do it if they really wanted to. Damn 49ers can sign Dez and Suh if they wanted to if they cut Willis or Bowman because we have Borland. (No I don't want this, just stating they can).

….I might be a little off on the numbers but overall it can happen.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is like most players his age will look for the big bucks first. I don't see too many young guys choosing Super Bowl over money. They are going to go for the big bucks while they still can, it is big business on both sides.

The 49ers realistically aren't going to get any big name free agents because, 1) Balke does not operate that way 2) The cap situation barring a player dump won't allow for it.

We might as well talk about obtaining Aaron Rodgers cause the odds of obtaining him are no worse than any oher significant free agent.[/QUOTE]

That statement(in bold) again makes no sense. Rogers isn't on the market. The other 2 are. So u are wrong its not the same. Now do I think both might get franchise yes but right now both are FAs.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man rumor going around that Miami is getting ready to sign Tannehill 15 mill a year. WOW. This guy has done nothing. We got a steal with Kap. They are talking 7 year 105 million. Man Seattle and Indy are going to pay Luck and wilson like 23-25 mill a year.

Thank god we signed Kap when we did.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And their best defensive player is Sherman who u don't need to worry about that side of the field he plays on. U somewhat just made my point. Seattle D is built around Sherman.

Some would say Thomas is their best player

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some would say Thomas is their best player

I never heard 1 person say that. Thomas is good but he isn't Sherman. Finding a top CB is harder to find then a Safety. I mean look at the 49ers they had 4 straight years having a safety making the Pro bowl with 4 different safety's.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this statement for most of it. Cap situation has no impact on my reasoning. If Smith retires and we cut Brooks we can get smith at even 12 mill a season(not that I would give that much.) Right now we have about 5 mill in cap when everything is said and done, then add another 6.5 mill in smith and then throw in brooks 7. mill and now you have 18 million in cap space. We have plenty to sign Suh. Yes it would leave us thin to sign others but Im ok with that. A

Again do I think they will do this No but cap reason makes no sense. 49ers can do it if they really wanted to. Damn 49ers can sign Dez and Suh if they wanted to if they cut Willis or Bowman because we have Borland. (No I don't want this, just stating they can).

….I might be a little off on the numbers but overall it can happen.

Where do you get these numbers? As of now, the 49ers are about $3 million under the cap. That will be what they have assuming they resign none of their own free agents and don't restructure anyone. When you factor in it is going to cost approx. $5,000,000 to sign this year's draft class, that leaves the team $2 million in the hole. You don't get $7 million in cap space by cutting Brooks. You have to factor in dead money. If Brooks is cut before Jun 1, the 49ers will only get $1.5 million in cap savings. After that, the cap savings would be approx. $4 million, because it pushes the cap hit beyond next year. There is also dead money associated with Justin Smith. When you cut players, you have to factor in what the salaey cap savings will be which is not necessarily what the player's actual contract cost is. I don't believe the situation is gloom and doom only because the best players are locked up. But the cap room is not there to sign free agents like Dez or Suh.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never heard 1 person say that. Thomas is good but he isn't Sherman. Finding a top CB is harder to find then a Safety. I mean look at the 49ers they had 4 straight years having a safety making the Pro bowl with 4 different safety's.

I've heard a lot of people say Thomas is more important to that defense than Sherman

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We might as well talk about obtaining Aaron Rodgers cause the odds of obtaining him are no worse than any oher significant free agent.[/QUOTE]

That statement(in bold) again makes no sense. Rogers isn't on the market. The other 2 are. So u are wrong its not the same. Now do I think both might get franchise yes but right now both are FAs.

My point is the odds of the 49ers being able to sign them is nonexistent as Crimson stated

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It that was true then we wouldn't be looking to draft a CB in the 1st RD or 2nd rd again after spending our 1st rd pick last year on a CB.

Because we aren't also looking at WR, DL, and feasibly even RB? Perhaps the fact that both our starting CBs are FAs has something to do with the need to address CB.

Your reasoning is simply flawed.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Man rumor going around that Miami is getting ready to sign Tannehill 15 mill a year. WOW. This guy has done nothing. We got a steal with Kap. They are talking 7 year 105 million. Man Seattle and Indy are going to pay Luck and wilson like 23-25 mill a year.

Thank god we signed Kap when we did.

Think you may be among a very select few who currently feel this way. Kap has A LOT of improving to do to show that he's worth the contract.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Earl Thomas is the best safety in the league, and his elite range allows their CBs - Sherman included - to be as aggressive at the line as they are. It's not a coincidence that guys like Browner, Thurmond, and Maxwell have all looked like top-notch corners when playing in Seattle.

Sherman may be the best CB in the league, but they didn't beat the piss out of GB in week one because Sherman held Jarrett Boykin without a catch.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earl Thomas is the best safety in the league, and his elite range allows their CBs - Sherman included - to be as aggressive at the line as they are. It's not a coincidence that guys like Browner, Thurmond, and Maxwell have all looked like top-notch corners when playing in Seattle.

Sherman may be the best CB in the league, but they didn't beat the piss out of GB in week one because Sherman held Jarrett Boykin without a catch.

U can have thomas i rather have sherman. U are the only person i ever heard say that. there is a bigger gap between sherman and revis type CB then thomas and the next safety.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
U can have thomas i rather have sherman. U are the only person i ever heard say that. there is a bigger gap between sherman and revis type CB then thomas and the next safety.

You should talk to more people. Particularly knowledgeable hawks fans. That's not a knock on Sherman at all; he's a very, very good player. Probably the best CB in the league today. For that defense, though, I'll take Thomas. He makes the whole thing tick IMO.

And again, it doesn't change the fact that we lost to the Hawks in the recent past for a variety of reasons, arguably the least of which was the play at the CB position. Hell, the most significant play given up by a CB by far was the 4th down TD in the 2013 NFCCG where Aldon jumped offsides and Wilson squeezed in the TD to Kearse. Rogers was in about as tight coverage as he could have been on that play and Wilson just threw a great ball that he probably doesn't throw but for the offsides (even though it was 4th down so an INT wouldn't have mattered anyway; I think psychologically Wilson doesn't throw the ball without the free play), so I'm not sure Revis makes any difference on that particular play. Perhaps more to the point, that TD was to Kearse, and presumably Revis would have been on Tate.

Wilson has two TD passes to WRs in the Niners' past four losses to the Hawks. Those passes went to Kearse (see above) and Paul Richardson. Those guys were both the #3 WR in those games. It's also worth noting that the Richardson TD came only after they called that BS roughing penalty on Moody. In the past five games against the Hawks, the Hawks' #1 receiver has put up the following stat line (Niners' result follows):

11/27/14: Baldwin - 2 for 28 yards (L)
12/4/14: Baldwin - 3 for 53 (L)
9/15/13: Tate - 1 for 19 (L)
12/8/13: Tate - 6 for 65 (W)
1/19/14: Tate - 4 for 31 (L)

The best game their #1 guy had by far was the only game we won. So again, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not the shaky play of our #1 CB that has been hurting us against Seattle. I'm curious if you have any sort of concrete evidence to the contrary.