• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPCOMING FREE AGENTS THIS YEAR AND NEXT

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've mentioned in earlier posts the upcoming free agents we have coming up after this season - Out of all those, my priority is Perrish Cox and after him Dan Skuta. Skuta is a quality pass rusher and can play special teams. And we just extended Kendall Hunter to a 1 year deal. We'll see how things shake out with that....But check out the free agent bonanza of spring 2016 and who we have coming off the books - Anquan Boldin, Alex Boone, Derek Carrier (RFA), Craig Dahl, Vernon Davis, Phil Dawson, Kendall Hunter, Joe Looney, Jonathan Martin, Ray McDonald, Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, and Ian Williams....Obviously Aldon is the priority and has to be extended long term..After him, do you give another year or two to Boldin? Slot/possession receivers have longevity so he should be effective. What about Looney and Jonathan Martin? Quality backups and Looney may even become starter. What about Ian Williams? The Niners extended Dorsey but should they have extended Ian Williams instead? He is a few years younger and beat Dorsey for the NT job before 2013. Not sure about Boone and Vernon, after all you cant pay everyone.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've mentioned in earlier posts the upcoming free agents we have coming up after this season - Out of all those, my priority is Perrish Cox and after him Dan Skuta. Skuta is a quality pass rusher and can play special teams. And we just extended Kendall Hunter to a 1 year deal. We'll see how things shake out with that....But check out the free agent bonanza of spring 2016 and who we have coming off the books - Anquan Boldin, Alex Boone, Derek Carrier (RFA), Craig Dahl, Vernon Davis, Phil Dawson, Kendall Hunter, Joe Looney, Jonathan Martin, Ray McDonald, Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, and Ian Williams....Obviously Aldon is the priority and has to be extended long term..After him, do you give another year or two to Boldin? Slot/possession receivers have longevity so he should be effective. What about Looney and Jonathan Martin? Quality backups and Looney may even become starter. What about Ian Williams? The Niners extended Dorsey but should they have extended Ian Williams instead? He is a few years younger and beat Dorsey for the NT job before 2013. Not sure about Boone and Vernon, after all you cant pay everyone.

as it stands now, try to extend Aldon Smith no doubt. retain Perrish Cox too.

too many things WILL happen from now till Spring 2016, a few will play better next year, a few will play worse. Draft picks might rise up and replace vets, season ending injuries might occur?

by then Boldin is too old to keep around, and think Justin Smith will be much less effective by then.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

More than likely the 49ers will have to admit by the end of 16 that Kaepernick is not the answer and his huge salary will come off the books as well. I'm excited about all the young talent they have developed; especially on defense and they will be turning to those guys more and more I believe as people like Gore, Kaepernick and Boldin are phased out.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious to hear what you think he does well

I like that Kaep runs. I think he's the best QB the Niners had since Steve Young who ran sometimes. Niner offense wasn't very fun to watch during the Garcia, Rattay, O'Sullivan, Hill, and Smith era.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that Kaep runs. I think he's the best QB the Niners had since Steve Young who ran sometimes. Niner offense wasn't very fun to watch during the Garcia, Rattay, O'Sullivan, Hill, and Smith era.

Fair enough, but I think that ability has been the biggest detriment to his becoming a top flight pocket passer.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers resign cox and A. Smith and iupati. Players gone, Brooks, Crabtree. I think we might trade boone if we re sign Iupati. If we don't resign Iupati Boone stays.

Next year we need to either draft a top CB or pick up a top CB in the class.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kap needs to run more to open up the passing game. Harbaugh plays him so conservative.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Kap needs to run more to open up the passing game. Harbaugh plays him so conservative.

Run more meaning how much more? Once a game, twice, three? We're talking called runs right?

Between the 20's, don't think they're conservative at all. Seems like we don't throw any short passes?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Run more meaning how much more? Once a game, twice, three? We're talking called runs right?

Between the 20's, don't think they're conservative at all. Seems like we don't throw any short passes?

No I mean on broken plays he needs to run more. Every time he runs for like 50+ yards its seems like we win.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I mean on broken plays he needs to run more. Every time he runs for like 50+ yards its seems like we win.

A team that counts on broken plays as a staple of its offense is in big trouble.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
[/B]

A team that counts on broken plays as a staple of its offense is in big trouble.

no question.

getting back to the original comment on running....yes, sometimes it seems like Kaep should just take off with it? But its easier for us watching on TV, very difficult for Kaep.

then there is the potential injury the more he runs.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no question.

getting back to the original comment on running....yes, sometimes it seems like Kaep should just take off with it? But its easier for us watching on TV, very difficult for Kaep.

then there is the potential injury the more he runs.

No question the threat of his running increases his effectiveness but weighing the risk of doing so is the problem since they have no capable backup.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

Tell that to Russell Wilson, Big Ben, Fran Tarkenton, Randall Cunningham, etc. Big Ben has won 2 SBs cuz he is able to break tackles and keep broken plays alive.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tell that to Russell Wilson, Big Ben, Fran Tarkenton, Randall Cunningham, etc. Big Ben has won 2 SBs cuz he is able to break tackles and keep broken plays alive.

making something out of broken plays ARE good, but the emphasis is "staple of your offense". So if Kaep runs instead, fine. but you don't depend on broken plays.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

U aren't getting it. Im saying on broken plays he needs to run more instead of forcing it down the field or forcing it in tight windows.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Harbaugh is trying to mold Kaep to be first and foremost a pocket passer. I have no problem with that. Steve Young stated in a recent interview that it will take 3 or 4 years to do this, but that he has noticed improvements in Kaep's game this year. We just have to be patient while the process plays itself out. If it doesn't work out, we can always pull the plug since we didn't give Kaep much guaranteed money.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one of the reasons we can afford to be patient is that even as an unfinished product, he is already a good NFL QB. He's got a 93.2 career passer rating. It's not like we're working with Tim Tebow here.