• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPCOMING FREE AGENTS THIS YEAR AND NEXT

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on this year's cap situation, I don't see the 49ers going after any significant free agents when they might have to let go of some of their own free agents. Last year, the team kicked the tires on some FAs but passed. I suspect the team is going to try and address its needs through the draft. In regards to J. Thomas from Denver, he is going to want too much money for the 49ers budget. I also question also whether it would be a good move after reading Cdumler's and a couple other Denver Bronco poster comments about him here on the Hoop. According to them, he is a horrible blocker and doesn't play hurt. He will miss a game with a hangnail. They were saying they don't want him back in Denver if it is going to be a significant contract.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baalke usually doesn't sign 'big' name FA's, don't see this changing now? Like the way he seeks value, not names.

the drafts are always the lifeblood and at least we're picking a little higher....each round.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke usually doesn't sign 'big' name FA's, don't see this changing now? Like the way he seeks value, not names.

the drafts are always the lifeblood and at least we're picking a little higher....each round.

I agree with this statement. I just think if we lose J. Smith we need to find some of that nastiness and tough play who commands a lot attention on D and that person can be Suh. If we lose Smith that opens up what 6-7 mill. I think we can find another 2-3 mill to pay Suh. Again if he hits the market.

I guess my value of smith is higher then some. I do agree Baalke usually doesn't pay. Again that is his weakness. If we sign Revis we probably would of won a super bowl already. CB has been our weakness for awhile now(talking about finding that #1CB.)

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think overall Baalke will end up signing some low key guys but one big move he can make and wont cost anything would be trade VD and picking up Clay or Cameron. He actually can save money here maybe.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with this statement. I just think if we lose J. Smith we need to find some of that nastiness and tough play who commands a lot attention on D and that person can be Suh. If we lose Smith that opens up what 6-7 mill. I think we can find another 2-3 mill to pay Suh. Again if he hits the market.

I guess my value of smith is higher then some. I do agree Baalke usually doesn't pay. Again that is his weakness. If we sign Revis we probably would of won a super bowl already. CB has been our weakness for awhile now(talking about finding that #1CB.)

Your opinion of 'weakness' is ok, but mine is....that's the way it is, you have to manage the ENTIRE roster. if we only look at individual FA's, then we start to think he's cheap, but Baalke is responsible for the entire 49er roster, not just outside FA's.

IMO Reavis wouldn't have won us a SB, cause most of the issues are on offense. Plus, in order to have signed him, we would've 'forego' multiple good players. Similar to now, if you want to sign Suh, you can't sign or re-sign much else.

CB is now a position where you need even more depth. with so much passing, it places pressure on 2-3 CB's every game. the wear and tear is increasing year over year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your opinion of 'weakness' is ok, but mine is....that's the way it is, you have to manage the ENTIRE roster. if we only look at individual FA's, then we start to think he's cheap, but Baalke is responsible for the entire 49er roster, not just outside FA's.

IMO Reavis wouldn't have won us a SB, cause most of the issues are on offense. Plus, in order to have signed him, we would've 'forego' multiple good players. Similar to now, if you want to sign Suh, you can't sign or re-sign much else.

CB is now a position where you need even more depth. with so much passing, it places pressure on 2-3 CB's every game. the wear and tear is increasing year over year.

Agree with this. Talking about signing any significant free agents this offseason is unrealistic. The team will be letting go of some of our own free agents just to manage the cap this year before even trying to add any free agents. The team will also need some cap room to sign draft picks.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont think cornerback has been a weakness. I think the play has been fairly solid there. Last year the 49ers had the 5th ranked pass defense despite an inconsistent pass rush last year. Lynch was great but Aldon was an invisible man most of the time he was out there. Lemonier didnt do anything either

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we sign Suh at 8-9 mill a year we wont be giving up much if Smith retires. I think that's what you are missing. Now if he wants 11-13 mill a year then yes pass. Again we don't know how much these guys want yet. Im thinking at 8-9 Mill with Smith retiring it wont cost 49ers much and they still can sign others. Again just my opinion. Do I think it will happen no. Im realistic on how the 49ers operate.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Has Seattle been beating us over the past two years because of our CB play? I don't think so.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If we sign Suh at 8-9 mill a year we wont be giving up much if Smith retires. I think that's what you are missing. Now if he wants 11-13 mill a year then yes pass. Again we don't know how much these guys want yet. Im thinking at 8-9 Mill with Smith retiring it wont cost 49ers much and they still can sign others. Again just my opinion. Do I think it will happen no. Im realistic on how the 49ers operate.

JJ Watt recently signed a deal that pays him almost twice that a year. Suh is probably going to get something in the area of $15 million a year, and possibly more. Hell, he had a $12.5 million base this past year, and had a $22 million cap hip. You think he's going to take a $5 million+ pay cut?

It won't happen because your scenario is completely unrealistic, not because of how the Niners operate (though they aren't going to pay an outside FA $15 million).

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ Watt recently signed a deal that pays him almost twice that a year. Suh is probably going to get something in the area of $15 million a year, and possibly more. Hell, he had a $12.5 million base this past year, and had a $22 million cap hip. You think he's going to take a $5 million+ pay cut?

It won't happen because your scenario is completely unrealistic, not because of how the Niners operate (though they aren't going to pay an outside FA $15 million).

I don't know what he will take. Im saying what I would pay for him. 8-9 mill a year. No way a team gives him that much. In the long run I do think Lions either Franchise tag him or sign him. 10 mill is the most I would pay for Suh. As of right now it is realistic because no one knows what these guys want or what the market will be.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Seattle been beating us over the past two years because of our CB play? I don't think so.

I would say yes. Not the main reason but they are one of the reason why we have lost to them. Many other things as well.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disagree with this 100%. No way Revis lets Boldin burn us in the superbowl like that. 100% I really feel we would of won on at least 1 if we had a Top CB. Look what Revis did for the Pats. helped them get back to the superbowl and win it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know what he will take. Im saying what I would pay for him. 8-9 mill a year. No way a team gives him that much. In the long run I do think Lions either Franchise tag him or sign him. 10 mill is the most I would pay for Suh. As of right now it is realistic because no one knows what these guys want or what the market will be.

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean your view is realistic. I guarantee that suh will make closer to $15 million a year than $8 million.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Suh is looking for one of two things (or both), a big payday or a SB ring. I would guess on the prior as he is still young enough to bank some money. Either way, in no way are the 9ers able to offer him either this next season realistically.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Disagree with this 100%. No way Revis lets Boldin burn us in the superbowl like that. 100% I really feel we would of won on at least 1 if we had a Top CB. Look what Revis did for the Pats. helped them get back to the superbowl and win it.

if we had signed Reavis, who would we NOT have signed that year? Don't know who were our FA's, Goldson, Whitner? if we had not signed those other players, would we have made it to the SB? The names may be incorrect but point is.......you can't just look at it in a vacuum. You can't just say add Reavis to that SB game.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean your view is realistic. I guarantee that suh will make closer to $15 million a year than $8 million.

I think we will see more in the middle. If someone pays 15 mill for him its a big mistake. Again Im saying what my dream case would be. I would love to land him or Dez but I know the chances are really slim.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we had signed Reavis, who would we NOT have signed that year? Don't know who were our FA's, Goldson, Whitner? if we had not signed those other players, would we have made it to the SB? The names may be incorrect but point is.......you can't just look at it in a vacuum. You can't just say add Reavis to that SB game.

I think we would even if you subtract some. Just like Seattle won because of Sherman. He was one of the main reasons. Having a Top CB like that is Big. My point is that position is a big reason why the last 2 super winners won. Both had a top CB.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we would even if you subtract some. Just like Seattle won because of Sherman. He was one of the main reasons. Having a Top CB like that is Big. My point is that position is a big reason why the last 2 super winners won. Both had a top CB.

His play is big, but you also have to factor in Earl Thomas and Chanceller. Some think Thomas is even more important than Sherman.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Suh is looking for one of two things (or both), a big payday or a SB ring. I would guess on the prior as he is still young enough to bank some money. Either way, in no way are the 9ers able to offer him either this next season realistically.

Suh is like most players his age will look for the big bucks first. I don't see too many young guys choosing Super Bowl over money. They are going to go for the big bucks while they still can, it is big business on both sides.

The 49ers realistically aren't going to get any big name free agents because, 1) Balke does not operate that way 2) The cap situation barring a player dump won't allow for it.

We might as well talk about obtaining Aaron Rodgers cause the odds of obtaining him are no worse than any oher significant free agent.