• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPCOMING FREE AGENTS THIS YEAR AND NEXT

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL, I don't put much stock in what Tomsula says. My impression of him is that he isn't going to put down a player in the media but would rather overhype a player to the media. Not faulting him for that, just makes me question how accurate his media assessments are. Not sure how Lynch will do in coverage, but he just looked much better than Lemonier. Harold isn't going anywhere and unless the team decides to cut ties with Brooks, not sure if there is room left for Lemonier.

Corey Lemonier Puts Emphasis on First Step

alright, good coaching and he's motivated....Gooooooooooooooooo

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah but why the 5th rd. Could of got him in the 6th or 7th rd. Some even said he might be un drafted. wasting a 5th rd on a punter was weird.

no one knows for sure, just draft speculation same as most of the prospects on the entire board. Anyway, if you really believe in a player, you go get him. Baalke can't assume the 31 other teams follow general draft consensus.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Corey Lemonier Puts Emphasis on First Step

alright, good coaching and he's motivated....Gooooooooooooooooo

Good read. I'd love it if Lemonier steps up. He and Harold probably control what happens with Brooks. If the coaching staff feels like a rotation of Lynch and one of those guys is better than Brooks, then I think we cut Brooks. I was looking over Lemonier's combine numbers - which, particularly at this position, are far from the be all end all - and they're very good. 34 1/2" arms, 4.6 40, good jumps, lifts, and quickness numbers. He's got the tools if he can put them together, and it would be nice to go younger at the position. Even if he makes this squad, Brooks' days are numbered.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one knows for sure, just draft speculation same as most of the prospects on the entire board. Anyway, if you really believe in a player, you go get him. Baalke can't assume the 31 other teams follow general draft consensus.
Very true, but 5th rd for a punter is uncommon. I hope he is a beast.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good read. I'd love it if Lemonier steps up. He and Harold probably control what happens with Brooks. If the coaching staff feels like a rotation of Lynch and one of those guys is better than Brooks, then I think we cut Brooks. I was looking over Lemonier's combine numbers - which, particularly at this position, are far from the be all end all - and they're very good. 34 1/2" arms, 4.6 40, good jumps, lifts, and quickness numbers. He's got the tools if he can put them together, and it would be nice to go younger at the position. Even if he makes this squad, Brooks' days are numbered.

agree.

i like Brooks (maybe the only one here?) and think he can play well this season. But if things play out with the others, easy decision Brooks is out.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yes, ordinarily no one wants to spend a 5th on punter. Going forward, depends on what we each feel a 5th round punter should achieve? But do consider his other contributions should it include kick-offs and long FG's?

For me not expecting an All Pro or Pro Bowl punter, just something close. I'll take consistent punts of 40 yards with hang time, versus an occasional 55 but also an occassional 30 (shank).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
An excerpt from a Paul Gutierrez article. No comment on this, just for reading since this thread has a little OLB discussion.

Also, with Ahmad Brooks having a solid on-the-field offseason, and Aaron Lynch hampered with a hamstring issue that kept him off the field, it seemed prudent to swap them from their previous standings in out most recent way-too-soon depth charts.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

You know, that was my thought when we drafted him, but it's really not true. In 2013, two punters went in the 5th. In 2012, a punter went in the 3rd. Punters went in the 5th in 2010 and 2009 (two). Two punters went in the 4th in 2007 and one in the 3rd in 2005. It's certainly not an every draft occurrence, but the 5th round is right about where the better-quality punters start to go off the board, and an elite prospect can go a fair bit higher.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
agree.

i like Brooks (maybe the only one here?) and think he can play well this season. But if things play out with the others, easy decision Brooks is out.

Brooks at his best is a very good all-around LB. He's strong in all three phases of the game. But he's expensive, he's older, he's a bit of a head case, and he's not a smart player (always good for a couple crucial encroachment penalties each year). If we can find a comparable player who is younger and cheaper, we should definitely do so.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, that was my thought when we drafted him, but it's really not true. In 2013, two punters went in the 5th. In 2012, a punter went in the 3rd. Punters went in the 5th in 2010 and 2009 (two). Two punters went in the 4th in 2007 and one in the 3rd in 2005. It's certainly not an every draft occurrence, but the 5th round is right about where the better-quality punters start to go off the board, and an elite prospect can go a fair bit higher.
good info.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers salary cap: Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith raise financial questions - Niners Nation

Lynch proved himself to be a strong pass rusher, and at times looked solid on base downs when Brooks was being disciplined. Brooks remains a strong all-around outside linebacker who can rush the passer, set the edge against the run, and drop into coverage. He also has a sizable cap hit with the team eventually needing to consider an extension for Aldon Smith. It is worth noting that assuming he stays out of trouble, Smith will end the season with the highest cap hit of the outside linebackers. This number reflects that nine of his 16 game day roster bonuses are viewed as "not likely to be earned". Ideally he does in fact earn them.

The 49ers could clear a decent chunk of cap space by releasing Brooks, but are they sufficiently comfortable with Lynch as an every down outside linebacker this year? We'll find out by the end of August. I expect them to keep Brooks this year and clear out his cap space next year, but this team has surprised us before. I like the idea for now of an extensive rotation in that group, keeping the pass rushers fresh.

agree, been saying he has a good all around game, just not a large sack number. then you never know with injuries to an OLB. the idea of cap space IS intriguing, but i'd keep Brooks this season.

JV35

El Chapo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some guy nobody ever heard of tearing up the fantasy leagues in 2016.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need training camp to start. I hate this dead period, I am so bored.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yup everyone is putting us down. It will be nice if we start like 4-1 or something like that.I know we lost alot but we still have alot of talent on this team. Plus we upgraded at WR with Smith over Crabtree, and I like Hyde and Bush and Hunter Combo better then Gore, Hyde and whoever else we had. our RB all add something different.

Yes we down graded at Oline, MLB's but we added some nice Depth at Dline and out OLB are stacked.

I hope we shock everyone.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yup everyone is putting us down. It will be nice if we start like 4-1 or something like that.I know we lost alot but we still have alot of talent on this team. Plus we upgraded at WR with Smith over Crabtree, and I like Hyde and Bush and Hunter Combo better then Gore, Hyde and whoever else we had. our RB all add something different.

Yes we down graded at Oline, MLB's but we added some nice Depth at Dline and out OLB are stacked.

I'm not sure we downgraded at ILB. Willis wasn't himself last year, and Wilhoite had some growing pains early. I don't see Bowman and Wilhoite being much of a downgrade, and depending on Bowman's recovery, we could be better at that spot.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

agree, even a 3-2 start would be ok. Obviously, we want to win every game, but considering this past off-season, 3-2 is ok.

as long as we don't start 0-4, cause this team (players and coaches) are vulnerable to a meltdown. 'meltdown' meaning it will be too easy for players to stop 'buying in', and coaches to start questioning themselves.

you can only imagine how fans will go bezerk...starting at 0-2, not to mention 0-4?! :-)

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Line could be better than last year. having Kilgore back at center, Staley, and Boone for the whole year. Depends on how the other guys do. On the Kap thread I posted an article with videos from a couple of the games. One shows a D lineman just blowing by Iupati on a direct line to Kap. Hopefully we can get to more consistent pass blocking.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure we downgraded at ILB. Willis wasn't himself last year, and Wilhoite had some growing pains early. I don't see Bowman and Wilhoite being much of a downgrade, and depending on Bowman's recovery, we could be better at that spot.
No way better. We have no depth at that position. With Bowman, Willis and Borland we had 3 pro bowl type MLBs. Now we only have one with no Depth. I do think if Bowman is really healthy he can make up for some of that because before he got hurt he was just about to Jump Willis as best MLB.