• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPCOMING FREE AGENTS THIS YEAR AND NEXT

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read my post #315. Brooks will not be cut.

Thanks. I just did. I believe you are right. I think they were planning to release him before the surprise retirements of Borland and Willis. That changed the FO plans

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The time to release Brooks has passed. He will be a 9er for this season at the least.From Spotrac: In 2015, Brooks will earn a base salary of $3,500,000, a roster bonus of $1,106,250 and a workout bonus of $100,000. Brooks has a cap hit of $7,055,000 while his dead money value is $5,546,250.I hope he can be all he can be because he is currently listed behind Lynch as the starter at LOLB.
so 49ers would save 2.5 mill if they cut him not bad. I see them trading him or cutting him if others look better then him in camp. Cant have a 7 mill guy sitting on the bench. Most likely situation would trade him. cutting him doesn't make much sense but if he becomes an distraction and can see them cutting him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
so 49ers would save 2.5 mill if they cut him not bad. I see them trading him or cutting him if others look better then him in camp. Cant have a 7 mill guy sitting on the bench. Most likely situation would trade him. cutting him doesn't make much sense but if he becomes an distraction and can see them cutting him.

If he's not starting for us, who is going to not only pay him that salary, but give something up for the pleasure? This isn't Madden.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's not starting for us, who is going to not only pay him that salary, but give something up for the pleasure? This isn't Madden.
a lot of teams who need a pass rushing OLB.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Brooks isn't really a pass rushing OLB. He's an all-around OLB who can also rush the passer, but he's never put up double-digit sacks. If the Niners don't want him, I can't see another team jumping at him with that contract. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't see another team wanting to pick up that salary in a trade. Cutting is most likely the only option.

I wish that was the case but I just don't see i. Brooks still has some issues looming. On top of that he had that falling out with Tomsula. Other teams will take notice of these things, especially with a contract that size. teams would rather pass and try and get him off of waivers than take that contract.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brooks isn't really a pass rushing OLB. He's an all-around OLB who can also rush the passer, but he's never put up double-digit sacks. If the Niners don't want him, I can't see another team jumping at him with that contract. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
I see a lot of teams that could use him, I might be wrong but I doubt it. Teams will take football players and Brooks is a good football player. We just have a better one in Lynch and Smith at his position.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't see another team wanting to pick up that salary in a trade. Cutting is most likely the only option.

I wish that was the case but I just don't see i. Brooks still has some issues looming. On top of that he had that falling out with Tomsula. Other teams will take notice of these things, especially with a contract that size. teams would rather pass and try and get him off of waivers than take that contract.
Yes but a team will take him either through trade or through waivers. there are a lot of teams that could use him. Now lets hope a MLB gets cut so we can land one.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If some one would take a 2.5-4 mill dollar(2.5,3,4 mill) Punter(lee) from us I cant see us having a problem trading him or cutting him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I see a lot of teams that could use him, I might be wrong but I doubt it. Teams will take football players and Brooks is a good football player. We just have a better one in Lynch and Smith at his position.

Teams will take football players at the right price. They won't overpay for decent players on the wrong side of 30, particularly if it's a guy who is coming off a down season and has had off-field issues and issues with authority. He was outplayed by a 5th-round rookie last year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes but a team will take him either through trade or through waivers. there are a lot of teams that could use him. Now lets hope a MLB gets cut so we can land one.

If we cut him, and it doesn't look like we will, I would expect him to clear waivers and then sign somewhere as a FA for a fraction of the value of his current contract.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we cut him, and it doesn't look like we will, I would expect him to clear waivers and then sign somewhere as a FA for a fraction of the value of his current contract.

Exactly, why would a team want to pay up all that money for a player with issues when they can just let him clear waivers and pick him up on the cheap.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If some one would take a 2.5-4 mill dollar(2.5,3,4 mill) Punter(lee) from us I cant see us having a problem trading him or cutting him.

Lee's contract will cost the Browns $2 million this season. He's well worth that IMO. After this year, it ticks up to almost $3 million, at which time we may see them cut him or try to restructure. Lee and Brooks are very different situations.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The time to release Brooks has passed. He will be a 9er for this season at the least.From Spotrac: In 2015, Brooks will earn a base salary of $3,500,000, a roster bonus of $1,106,250 and a workout bonus of $100,000. Brooks has a cap hit of $7,055,000 while his dead money value is $5,546,250.I hope he can be all he can be because he is currently listed behind Lynch as the starter at LOLB.

I don't think this precludes cutting him. The savings are relatively small, but better to take the bulk of the dead money hit this year than next if Brooks doesn't earn his spot. When is the roster bonus due? Did that already happen? If so, there is a slightly greater chance another team would trade for his $3.5 million contract. That still seems pretty steep for the product he put on the field last year, though.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

but then you have to compete to obtain his FA services.

Not justifying he'll be traded and odds are he won't. But regarding this scenario only, if a contending team needs him, they'll TRY to get him first with a low draft pick. granted his cap cost is difficult, but a contender can't sit back and then assume they'll get him cheap.

odds are the 'lowly' teams have more cap space to bid higher than them. So if they expect to pay half price, another team will pay 60%.

btw - from a talent standpoint we don't want to trade him. but what if his 'attitude' issue resurfaces? It might re-surface if Lynch is named starter early on.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but then you have to compete to obtain his FA services.

Not justifying he'll be traded and odds are he won't. But regarding this scenario only, if a contending team needs him, they'll TRY to get him first with a low draft pick. granted his cap cost is difficult, but a contender can't sit back and then assume they'll get him cheap.

odds are the 'lowly' teams have more cap space to bid higher than them. So if they expect to pay half price, another team will pay 60%.

btw - from a talent standpoint we don't want to trade him. but what if his 'attitude' issue resurfaces? It might re-surface if Lynch is named starter early on.

I think this can happen when a player has qualities other teams want and the other teams are willing to take on a big contract. Because of the size of Brooks' contract and both his on and off the field issues, I don't see a team willing to trade for him.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee was an All-pro punter without issues.
he was not an all pro last year. U can say the same for brooks. He was a pro bowl LB. Im just saying a team would take him. Either through trade or waiver wire. The guy still has talent.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think this can happen when a player has qualities other teams want and the other teams are willing to take on a big contract. Because of the size of Brooks' contract and both his on and off the field issues, I don't see a team willing to trade for him.

obviously, Brooks had a rough 2014....on and off the field. But not counting 2014, since he earned that extension (before the year he signed it), feel he's a very good player. At this point in his career he may not be peak PEAK, but IMO still a solid player.

He doesn't get the high sack numbers but he gets sacks and pressure. Factor in his run defense and his overall game is solid. But sacks are similar to forty times, without a GOOD number, the rest of your 'game' is under appreciated.