• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPCOMING FREE AGENTS THIS YEAR AND NEXT

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams will take football players at the right price. They won't overpay for decent players on the wrong side of 30, particularly if it's a guy who is coming off a down season and has had off-field issues and issues with authority. He was outplayed by a 5th-round rookie last year.
Im not saying we would get a lot for him. Im just stating that a team would take him. He will find another team if 49ers trade him or cut him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Im not saying we would get a lot for him. Im just stating that a team would take him. He will find another team if 49ers trade him or cut him.

He will find another team, yes. I don't think another team will pay him what he's set to make, though. Again, if we've already covered the $1 million roster bonus, then it's feasible, but I'd still be surprised. Teams will let him clear waivers and then try to get him on the cheap.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
but then you have to compete to obtain his FA services.

Not justifying he'll be traded and odds are he won't. But regarding this scenario only, if a contending team needs him, they'll TRY to get him first with a low draft pick. granted his cap cost is difficult, but a contender can't sit back and then assume they'll get him cheap.

odds are the 'lowly' teams have more cap space to bid higher than them. So if they expect to pay half price, another team will pay 60%.

btw - from a talent standpoint we don't want to trade him. but what if his 'attitude' issue resurfaces? It might re-surface if Lynch is named starter early on.

It's possible a team would try to get him for like a 6th, but I think his contract makes that highly unlikely.

I don't think we move him unless he's beaten out by a younger, cheaper player - or at least the younger player is close to his level. If he's not going to start, though, I'm sure we'll make a few calls.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
he was not an all pro last year. U can say the same for brooks. He was a pro bowl LB. Im just saying a team would take him. Either through trade or waiver wire. The guy still has talent.

Andy Lee's net average was 5th in the league. He tied for 9th in punts inside the 20. Those are still very good numbers. The guy has been a perennial pro bowler, and is an upstanding guy on and off the field. It's not a comparable situation. Brooks was not good last year, and he has off-field baggage.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee's contract will cost the Browns $2 million this season. He's well worth that IMO. After this year, it ticks up to almost $3 million, at which time we may see them cut him or try to restructure. Lee and Brooks are very different situations.
I agree with this whole post.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this precludes cutting him. The savings are relatively small, but better to take the bulk of the dead money hit this year than next if Brooks doesn't earn his spot. When is the roster bonus due? Did that already happen? If so, there is a slightly greater chance another team would trade for his $3.5 million contract. That still seems pretty steep for the product he put on the field last year, though.
Not sure on the roster bonus . I will take a look into that.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy Lee's net average was 5th in the league. He tied for 9th in punts inside the 20. Those are still very good numbers. The guy has been a perennial pro bowler, and is an upstanding guy on and off the field. It's not a comparable situation. Brooks was not good last year, and he has off-field baggage.
I am a Andy lee fan. I actually thought it was weird that we drafted a punter in the 5th rd and that we traded Lee. We are so under the Cap why not keep Lee this year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a Andy lee fan. I actually thought it was weird that we drafted a punter in the 5th rd and that we traded Lee. We are so under the Cap why not keep Lee this year.

I guess you always want more. Hard to figure. Maybe they felt Lee was on a downturn and Pinion could do almost as well at a fraction of the cost. They will end up using the free cap space eventually.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Who's next? No one has retired today yet, right? I kid. Kinda. Because while (take a deep breath here) Anthony Davis, Justin Smith, Chris Borland, Patrick Willis and, yes, even Bubba Ventrone all chose to hang up their helmets, you have to wonder if any more “name” Niners might also be done before the season begins. No, there are no obvious candidates, but all eyes will be focused on inside linebacker NaVorro Bowman's surgically-repaired left knee as he continues his comeback. And if charges do come against outside linebackerAhmad Brooks -- he was accused in May by the same woman who accused Ray McDonald of sexual assault last year -- Brooks could be the next Niners regular to be sent on his way.

Wow, Brooks isn't cleared yet.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's next? No one has retired today yet, right? I kid. Kinda. Because while (take a deep breath here) Anthony Davis, Justin Smith, Chris Borland, Patrick Willis and, yes, even Bubba Ventrone all chose to hang up their helmets, you have to wonder if any more “name” Niners might also be done before the season begins. No, there are no obvious candidates, but all eyes will be focused on inside linebacker NaVorro Bowman's surgically-repaired left knee as he continues his comeback. And if charges do come against outside linebackerAhmad Brooks -- he was accused in May by the same woman who accused Ray McDonald of sexual assault last year -- Brooks could be the next Niners regular to be sent on his way.

Wow, Brooks isn't cleared yet.

He hasn't but the fact that all this time has elapsed and charges haven't been filed yet, makes it less likely any ever will.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess you always want more. Hard to figure. Maybe they felt Lee was on a downturn and Pinion could do almost as well at a fraction of the cost. They will end up using the free cap space eventually.

just part of managing the team cap which requires an overall view, not just one player (Lee). So even if Pinion isn't quite as good, there are benefits (more cap space) elsewhere for the team.

IMO Pinion just needs to be close enough on punting, a little less yards is ok as long as he has the hang time. He supposedly has good kick-off ability which helps coverage and the D. Back-up PK is another skill that benefits the team, he won't be as good but what if Dawson "goes down" DURING a game?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just part of managing the team cap which requires an overall view, not just one player (Lee). So even if Pinion isn't quite as good, there are benefits (more cap space) elsewhere for the team.

IMO Pinion just needs to be close enough on punting, a little less yards is ok as long as he has the hang time. He supposedly has good kick-off ability which helps coverage and the D. Back-up PK is another skill that benefits the team, he won't be as good but what if Dawson "goes down" DURING a game?

There is always that risk for all teams

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I think the big thing is that Lee's contract becomes pretty steep next year, and Pinion was regarded as being better than any punters who were going to be available next year. I don't have a huge problem with it, just probably wouldn't have used a 5th.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is always that risk for all teams

yes, there is always risk.....everywhere.

In this case, totally fine taking the risk on Pinion. If the change wasn't made this year, it would've been next. Due to his extra skills, even ok drafting him where we did.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the big thing is that Lee's contract becomes pretty steep next year, and Pinion was regarded as being better than any punters who were going to be available next year. I don't have a huge problem with it, just probably wouldn't have used a 5th.

I am ok with a 5th if Pinion turns out to be the best punter in the NFL, lol

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah but why the 5th rd. Could of got him in the 6th or 7th rd. Some even said he might be un drafted. wasting a 5th rd on a punter was weird.