• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPCOMING FREE AGENTS THIS YEAR AND NEXT

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree, even a 3-2 start would be ok. Obviously, we want to win every game, but considering this past off-season, 3-2 is ok.

as long as we don't start 0-4, cause this team (players and coaches) are vulnerable to a meltdown. 'meltdown' meaning it will be too easy for players to stop 'buying in', and coaches to start questioning themselves.

you can only imagine how fans will go bezerk...starting at 0-2, not to mention 0-4?! :-)
100% agree. We need a strong start so players can trust the coaching staff and game plan. They need to buy in. U start losing right away u might lose them for the season.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way better. We have no depth at that position. With Bowman, Willis and Borland we had 3 pro bowl type MLBs. Now we only have one with no Depth. I do think if Bowman is really healthy he can make up for some of that because before he got hurt he was just about to Jump Willis as best MLB.

Bowman was better than Willis before he got hurt.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
agree, even a 3-2 start would be ok. Obviously, we want to win every game, but considering this past off-season, 3-2 is ok.

as long as we don't start 0-4, cause this team (players and coaches) are vulnerable to a meltdown. 'meltdown' meaning it will be too easy for players to stop 'buying in', and coaches to start questioning themselves.

you can only imagine how fans will go bezerk...starting at 0-2, not to mention 0-4?! :-)

I don't think we can afford to start 0-1. I realize that sounds silly, but that first game is against Minnesota, followed by at Pittsburg on a short week, at Arizona, and then Green Bay at home. I've got to think we'll be the underdog in all three of those games. I'm not going to say we definitely lose all of them, but coming out of those first four games at 2-2 would be a solid start to the season IMO. If we drop the opener, starting 0-4 is a very real possibility.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No way better. We have no depth at that position. With Bowman, Willis and Borland we had 3 pro bowl type MLBs. Now we only have one with no Depth. I do think if Bowman is really healthy he can make up for some of that because before he got hurt he was just about to Jump Willis as best MLB.

We never "had" all three of those guys at the same time. Bowman and Willis missed 26 of 32 starts last year. Barring injury - which is admittedly a question - I think we're in basically the same shape we were at this time last year. As far as depth, we don't have a Borland on the bench, but Skov and Borland were pretty close parallels coming out (word is that Skov has slimmed down some and is looking faster, if not fast per se), and Moody should be better. Besides that, I think we pull our ILBs a lot more this year than we have in the past. We'll see a lot more dime this year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We never "had" all three of those guys at the same time. Bowman and Willis missed 26 of 32 starts last year. Barring injury - which is admittedly a question - I think we're in basically the same shape we were at this time last year. As far as depth, we don't have a Borland on the bench, but Skov and Borland were pretty close parallels coming out (word is that Skov has slimmed down some and is looking faster, if not fast per se), and Moody should be better. Besides that, I think we pull our ILBs a lot more this year than we have in the past. We'll see a lot more dime this year.
Yes but this year we were suppose to have all 3 and then 2 retired so there is no way we are the same or better with the group we had before. Right now we only have Bowman. Now I agree with you that we might see us pull more ILB in because we have 4 of them now that can play. I can see Brooks playing inside.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes but this year we were suppose to have all 3 and then 2 retired so there is no way we are the same or better with the group we had before. Right now we only have Bowman. Now I agree with you that we might see us pull more ILB in because we have 4 of them now that can play. I can see Brooks playing inside.

When talking about upgrading or downgrading spots, you compare it to last year's team, not some imaginary future team that you never had. Otherwise, you effectively can only downgrade as injuries and cuts occur.

Our ILB situation this year is pretty similar to what we had last year, on a good (until the injuries got way out of hand the last two or three weeks) defense.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When talking about upgrading or downgrading spots, you compare it to last year's team, not some imaginary future team that you never had. Otherwise, you effectively can only downgrade as injuries and cuts occur.

Our ILB situation this year is pretty similar to what we had last year, on a good (until the injuries got way out of hand the last two or three weeks) defense.
We did have them. LOL all 3 were on the team last year. LOL. There is no imaginary team. This is real life team. All 3 were on the roster last year. Willis and Borland played together. Bowman didn't play last year but practiced. This year we were going to have all 3 2 retired so now we only have 1. IN NO way its a better situation or better at that position. We have down graded in that spot. Its not a big deal because we have upgraded on the OLB position.

I hope this helps you if not I don't know what to say. I guess on to the next subject.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We did have them. LOL all 3 were on the team last year. LOL. There is no imaginary team. This is real life team. All 3 were on the roster last year. Willis and Borland played together. Bowman didn't play last year but practiced. This year we were going to have all 3 2 retired so now we only have 1. IN NO way its a better situation or better at that position. We have down graded in that spot. Its not a big deal because we have upgraded on the OLB position.

I hope this helps you if not I don't know what to say. I guess on to the next subject.

Bowman was never available. He never made it to the active roster. Hell, he started the season on the PUP list, and could not have been activated under any circumstances prior to week seven, at which time Willis was already gone. All three players were on the team, but we didn't "have" them. I would have thought my use of quotes made my meaning quite obvious.

When considering this year's defense compared to last year's defense - such that conversations about "upgrading" or "downgrading" would apply - it only makes sense to consider what we put on the field. Bowman is not part of that consideration. If we're taking the 90-man roster at the end of the draft and UDFA and comparing it to the opening day roster, you're almost always only going to see downgrades. Injuries always happen during training camp. It would be silly to say, for instance, the WR position is "downgraded" is Dres Anderson re-aggravated his injury. It would be downgraded relative to earlier in the offseason, but upgraded relative to last year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey in other news not related to the 49ers for once Josh Gordon with another DUI and looks like he is done with football. Another wasted talent.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Williams ranks as 49ers' top priority in free agency

on the bright side, the 49ers won't struggle to re-sign multiple good FA's. Ian Williams no doubt, and Celek likely. Combined they won't 'break the cap bank' by any means.

Agree Boone will look for more dollars (not blaming him) and they have to cut Boldin because today's NFL is about S-P-E-E-D. Whereas someone might argue he's a leader, that isn't near enough reason over his speed, and displacing a young talent.

Smelter is an unknown true, but you almost have no choice. Not saying he WILL be good, but you have to give him every opportunity to show it. I'd think even DeAndrew White or Diandre Cambell would get good shots this off-season? Dres Andersen?

Last edited:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams ranks as 49ers' top priority in free agency

on the bright side, the 49ers won't struggle to re-sign multiple good FA's. Ian Williams no doubt, and Celek likely. Combined they won't 'break the cap bank' by any means.

Agree Boone will look for more dollars (not blaming him) and they have to cut Boldin because today's NFL is about S-P-E-E-D. Whereas someone might argue he's a leader, that isn't near enough reason over his speed, and displacing a young talent.

Smelter is an unknown true, but you almost have no choice. Not saying he WILL be good, but you have to give him every opportunity to show it. I'd think even DeAndrew White or Diandre Cambell would get good shots this off-season? Dres Andersen?

Boldin has slowed considerably and he wasn't quick to begin with. I agree, time to move on. A 36 year old WR on the decline doesn't serve a purpose on this roster. I hope Celek is back, I really like what I've seen from him this year

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers could have $50 million in cap space

Yes, there is a process and you build good teams thru the draft. Certainly great to have this much cap space, but you STILL spend it wisely.

i would GUESS Baalke will NOT sign any of the highest FA's, and i'm very ok with that. I'll also guess his first FA signing(s) will be an interior offensive linemen.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok after looking at some FA's in this class. My #1 player I want with our 50+ mill cap is Bruce Irvin. He will add that Pass rush we need. I think he would be a great help. Also doesn't hurt that he is from seattle. U know he will play 110% every time we play them. He is also only 28 so he probably has about 2-3 really good years left and then some so so years. I would go after him.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok after looking at some FA's in this class. My #1 player I want with our 50+ mill cap is Bruce Irvin. He will add that Pass rush we need. I think he would be a great help. Also doesn't hurt that he is from seattle. U know he will play 110% every time we play them. He is also only 28 so he probably has about 2-3 really good years left and then some so so years. I would go after him.

Irvin would be a good addition and certainly add to the pass rush of the defense. I agree with Deep they need to add talent on the O-Line particularly on the interior but at RT as well. If Boone leave they'll really need 4 linemen.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irvin would be a good addition and certainly add to the pass rush of the defense. I agree with Deep they need to add talent on the O-Line particularly on the interior but at RT as well. If Boone leave they'll really need 4 linemen.
They will have Staley, Tiller, Kilgore, AD and blank. We only need 1 starter. Brown would be our back up at Tackle and then you hope Thomas and other can be back up at guard.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also some decent O-Line free agents this year so they could sign one or two.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will have Staley, Tiller, Kilgore, AD and blank. We only need 1 starter. Brown would be our back up at Tackle and then you hope Thomas and other can be back up at guard.

I'm not going to count on AD and if you have the money it wouldn't hurt to bring in at least one or two guys as FA's that could start or compete for the starting job.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will also say I was underwhelmed with the O-Line play and the only sure fire starter to me is Staley.