• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp starts today!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So first day of pads! This is the time it really starts feeling like football is getting close. OTA's and Minicamp are great but having guys run around in shorts all day doesn't really give us any clue of how the guys will do on the field.

First and foremost today only a few minor injuries to report. No season ending or PUP type injuries so above all else have to count it as a good day.

Wolfe and Josh Boyett sat out a bit with some back pain and a guy named Greg Latta had a strained knee but otherwise looks like everybody stayed good to go.

So I guess start with the bad for the day and work to the good.

Montee Ball struggled in one-on-one blocking drills. I think he had 3 times where he did not get the job done.

Chris Clark continues to struggle at the Right Tackle spot. Right now he is still the starter but the competition could be heating up.

Ronnie Hillman fumbled the football on a sweep play but good news is he recovered his own fumble. Carried around the blue ball today at practice so hopefully he can get this under control.

So that is the bad that I have read for the day (I'm sure there will be more later kind of thing)

The good...Although Ball looked bad in the one-on-one drills he excelled when they went 11-on-11 and did very well with blitz pick up.

Ball also looked like he had the best vision of the RB's today finding the holes perfectly with some nice gains.

CJ Anderson ran with authority and broke some nice tackles. He also did very well in the one-on-one blocking drills.

Hillman took the hardest hit of the day from Steven Johnson but held onto the ball with 2 HANDS to make sure as to not fumble.

TJ Ward is a name that I think Bronco fans are going to love this year. He set the tone early and often at practice with some big hits on the RB's. Hopefully he doesn't hurt anybody during practice but this is good to make sure everybody knows that these practices are serious work.

Marvin Austin is a guy also making a name for himself on defense. The Back Up OL players could not stop him. He was having his way with them.

Another guy making a name for himself is Gerrell Robinson. He has done well with his blocking as well as his receiving so far.

Probably the name that everybody keeps talking about though is Louis Young. He is a Corner that went undrafted from Georgia Tech but everyday he seems to make a big game changing type play. He is 6'1" so fits the bigger more physical type corner that the Broncos are trying to establish and has the speed to turn and run with most receivers in this league.

Webster has been outplaying Roby so far in camp. Understandable as you expect a 2nd year player to outplay a 1st year guy even if he is a 1st round pick. Webster has looked really good so far though. He looks much more comfortable in what is expected of him on any given play.

So far that is all I have heard.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks cd. I have a feeling Webster is going to be hard to beat out. For a rookie last yr and thrown to the wolves per say, he did a very admirable job considering. You have to imagine that expierience and another off season to study,learn,etc has got to give him more confidence and that should translate to his abilities on the field. Been seeing some bad injuries in other camps and hope and pray Denver players avoid any serious ones. Can`t wait for 1st pre-season game and actually get to see the players you mentioned above ( Young, Wolfe, Robinson, Austin, Hilman,etc) on the field. Keep em coming as you get em cd:)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will do randymon. Really stinks not having the fans there as there were a lot more reports and information. Most of these reporters now adays just want to do video and interviews with players and very little reporting of what actually happens on the field. I am really struggling to find a ton of information this year at least compared to the last few.

Thankfully tomorrow is the first practice done in front of fans so should have more information tomorrow compared to the last few days.

I do know Latimer again with pads on shined as Bolden tried to come lay a big hit on him after he caught a pass and he just lowered his shoulder and sent Bolden flying. This kid could be something special.

Also heard that Emmanuel Sanders got the best of Talib today on more than one occasion. They were matched up one-on-one most of practice and Sanders just zoomed by him. Talib did make a couple of plays but to me if Sanders is beating one of the top-5 or so Corners in the league one-on-one I like the odds of him doing that against say Seattle's secondary.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's being reported here in the east that Greg Orton blew out his knee yesterday and is done for the year. Any news about that??

Don't get overly excited about Emmanual Sanders. Remember that the Patriots made him an offer lest year as a restricted free agent. The Steelers matched it and he disappeared in 2013 during a contract season. The Steelers didn't even make him an offer this year and as much as the Patriots needed an experienced WR, they didn't go after him either. No question that Peyton Manning is much different than Ben Rothslesberger, but even Big Ben said Sanders tends to get pushed around and out of bounds.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orton doesn't play for the Broncos so none of my reports would have anything on him. He is a patriot now and he blew out his Achilles on Friday.

As for Sanders...nobody quite knows what to expect. Peyton has made a career out of no name receivers becoming household names. He has been beating Talib this week at practice so right now it looks promising. Also I wouldn't say 700 yards and 6 touchdowns last year was actually that bad. Especially in a more run oriented offense. Throw in he is not even the #2 man of our receivers. Just like last year with Decker he is the 4th option. With the way out rookie WR is tearing up camp he could even move back to 5th option for receiving. I doubt that will happen but he will have a lot of favorable match ups with one of the greatest quarterbacks throwing him the football.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sanders is about to have the biggest season of his career. DT will get more catches and probably more yards and TDs, but Sanders will have a lot of yards/catch.

Even if Sanders does not pan out he is not the only option available. The Broncos did bring back Andre Caldwell who knows the offense and has Manning's trust. He is a big and fast player capable of picking up where Decker left off and would likely be a solid #2 on most other teams. And let's not forget the rookie WR who is also an unknown quantity right now, but has been given very solid grades in the draft.

Mind blowing as it may seem, this year's offense may actually be better than last year's. It may not translate to raw numbers on the stat sheet but adjusting for quality of opponents I think it'll be close. Of course, there's no way to do that until we've played the season, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, CD keep the camp reports coming. Love reading your updates!

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's being reported here in the east that Greg Orton blew out his knee yesterday and is done for the year. Any news about that??

Don't get overly excited about Emmanual Sanders. Remember that the Patriots made him an offer lest year as a restricted free agent. The Steelers matched it and he disappeared in 2013 during a contract season. The Steelers didn't even make him an offer this year and as much as the Patriots needed an experienced WR, they didn't go after him either. No question that Peyton Manning is much different than Ben Rothslesberger, but even Big Ben said Sanders tends to get pushed around and out of bounds.

Link? And who the hell is Greg Orton? LOL

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some Day 3 notes from espn: Denver Broncos Camp Report: Day 3 - ESPN

I am particularly enthused by the comments about Clady and Ware battling one another in camp. Also enjoyed Trevathon's characterization of Ward and Ware as "savages". LOL

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as much news coming out of camp today so only little things until I see full reports from some of the reporters at camp.

Offense and defense both had their moments today. At one point in 7-on-7 drills Osweiler and Manning had only one incomplete pass between them. At the same time both Manning and Osweiler were picked off a couple of times today.

In fact one of those interceptions was by of all people Sly Williams jumping up and snagging a Manning pass.

Derek Wolfe also looked good today blowing up Clady. In fact probably the group with the worst reports today was the OL. Didn't hear much good but again full pads have not gone on yet so we can't really tell.

Latimer continues to make plays all over the field.

No significant injuries today again! Tomorrow is first full pads practice though so hopefully that trend can continue.

After practice Manning was talking to his 2 new receivers as they had lots of questions for him.

Louis Young is making a name for himself as he has had an interception in both practices at this point and has looked good at other times.

Ball once again impressed with his pass catching ability making some catches in traffic.

A name that keeps standing out that is on the roster bubble is that of Omar Bolden. The guy has looked like he finally gets it. Hopefully this is true and we see that early round potential he had before injury in college.

If that's the case then you know it's really OUR year. He's been pretty useless since we drafted him, and I honestly didn't think he'd even make the roster last year.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone go to the practice at Mile High yesterday? A first hand report would be great.

I keep hearing about how amazing Denver's receivers look. My question is, how many do you think Denver will keep on the team this season? Last year we only kept 4 (5 if you count Holliday), but it seems like Burse is really looking good on kick returns and is pushing for a roster spot. Could the Broncos conceivably keep 6 receivers? DT, Welker, Sanders, and Latimer are locks to make the team IMO, and I think Bubba makes it as well. So if the Broncos keep more receivers, what position gets shorted? Last year we had 4 tight ends, I could see only 3 making it this year. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is Jeff Legwold's thoughts on what the final roster will look like.

I think CJ Anderson will make the team instead of either Clay or Thompson, I think Louis Young will make the team instead of Tony Carter, I could see the Broncos finding a spot for Gerrell Robinson at tight end (maybe at the expense of Tamme), and I still think they find a way to keep Burse on the team. Maybe they cut Dysert and Renner and put one of them on the practice squad, depending on which one is claimed.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone go to the practice at Mile High yesterday? A first hand report would be great.

I keep hearing about how amazing Denver's receivers look. My question is, how many do you think Denver will keep on the team this season? Last year we only kept 4 (5 if you count Holliday), but it seems like Burse is really looking good on kick returns and is pushing for a roster spot. Could the Broncos conceivably keep 6 receivers? DT, Welker, Sanders, and Latimer are locks to make the team IMO, and I think Bubba makes it as well. So if the Broncos keep more receivers, what position gets shorted? Last year we had 4 tight ends, I could see only 3 making it this year. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Receiver wise I do think we keep 6 this year. The first at least 4 if not 5 are almost guaranteed to make the roster...DT, JT, Welker, Latimer, and Caldwell are almost all but guaranteed. I know people keep saying Caldwell could be a roster bubble guy but when DT hasn't been at practice he has been the guy to come in and it has shown that he is one of Manning's most trusted receivers. They have a great connection so I doubt they would cut him. So it comes down to Burse and can he show he gives them something extra for Special Teams while also showing something that he could be a future playmaker for the offense? Right now he has done well in both aspects so I think they would really struggle to let him walk and hope he could make it on the practice squad.

This year is going to be an interesting one in honestly I just have trouble with the idea of us keeping 3 quarterbacks. We have done it every year but this is one of those years where if we do keep 3 we are letting a player that actually could contribute this year to the team walk to another team. Our WR and DL position is just too deep (if there is such a thing in the NFL). We are going to have to cut some quality players and I would just rather let one of the quarterbacks that most likely is going to be a career back up walk than somebody who we see as a possible starter in the future.

Now as for things I have been reading about yesterday's practice...

First off they said Manning had probably his best practice as a Bronco yet yesterday! Considering how well he has played the fact that he is taking it up another notch sounds almost criminal.

For the first time in Training Camp the offense seemed to get the better of the defense. They were hardly stopped in the Red Zone drills. Now whether this just shows how dynamic the offense is or that the defense has a lot of work to do I don't know. I'm just going to go with the offense is just that good as they were historical last year. Now considering we still haven't even seen DT on the field yet makes me just about to burst with excitement for this offense.

Play of the day for the first time was not Latimer...This time it was Sanders making a one handed grab for a touchdown during Red Zone drills.

JT is showing last year was not a fluke. The guy is making plays everywhere on the field and is actually showing he is probably more dynamic this season than last. His route running is greatly improved and he is showing a fearlessness across the middle that wasn't there last year.

Defensive players to watch out for...Marvin Austin and Sylvester Williams! Williams has shown both greatness in stopping the run and rushing the passer up the middle. He is throwing guys to the side left and right and is showing a bit of JJ Watt in him with his ability to knock down passes. Austin has just been unblockable one-on-one. He has the quickest first step of any of our DT's this year and is really making the decision for the DT position a tough one.

Montee Ball looked much better in blitz pick up at this practice as he was always in the right place and was technically sound.

Hillman actually had a very good day as well showing elite speed.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeMarcus Ware sat out practice today as a precaution. Just has a leg bruise but team already knows what they have in him.

Gave Q. Smith a chance to get some first team reps and made a few plays.

D. Thomas did not practice today again but was at Broncos training facility. Won't be able to practice in pads for a few days but good to see him back with the team.

Harris was cleared today by Dr. Andrews. Team doesn't look like they will take him off the PUP right off the bat though as he is only supposed to do limited work anyway.

Kenny Anunike keeps making a name for himself making plays in the backfield. DL is truly stacked this year.

Couple of "fights" broke out at practice. Good to see these guys really taking this so serious.

Sanders once again showed off his elite speed taking a quick slant pass 40 yards for a touchdown out running Moore in the process.

Chris Clark finally had a better day and looks like he is settling into his role at the Right Tackle position. Really anchored well and did well against speed rushers.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Manning was out there dancing and goofing around before practice started. Then straight to business.

Is he like the coolest cat to ever suit up, or what?

Glad to hear Clark had a better day. Of all the O-lineman, I thought his transition would probably be the toughest.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Manning was out there dancing and goofing around before practice started. Then straight to business.

Is he like the coolest cat to ever suit up, or what?

Glad to hear Clark had a better day. Of all the O-lineman, I thought his transition would probably be the toughest.

It really is a completely different position for the most part. The best way I have heard it described is that of playing baseball. Obviously we all have a certain side we favor. Like for me I bat right-handed. Switching to the other side would take some major time to get down. Yes I could eventually get there but would need a ton of practice.

The footwork for an OT has to be switched, how you use your hands, and so much more. Plus a RT is asked to do a lot more 2nd level blocking than that of a LT usually. So again people will need to have some patience when hearing of Clark's struggles. I remember last year when Ramirez switched to Center and struggled for the first 2 weeks of practice and everybody thought we were doomed on the OL because of him. He then according to PFF I think turned in a top-7 Center performance for the year and should only be better this year. Not saying Clark is the best answer at RT for us but I think once he gets it down will see a much improved looking OL against speed teams like that of Seattle.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job again cd and thanks. As far as Caldwell goes, as far as being on bubble like some think, thats a def "NO" IMO. After the big "4" ( DT, Welker, JT and Sanders) you got Norwood,Palmer,Fowler,Wlison,Burse, and Hardin. Hardly household names and very little exp with Peyton and Denver Offense. So, to release Caldwell would be very detrimental for team if they suffered an injury with one of the top 4. Also, Denver does have some packed roster slots that releasing 10 players wouldn`t be has significant as some might believe. Prob alot don`t know Denver still has 6 Tes on roster even after Driessen release. You can cut three right there and still have JT, Tamme and Green. That`s just one example and theres plenty more room on the the D side as well. Got to go go, mamas home...waaa

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget though we might be keeping 4 TE's like we have every year since Elway started. Gerrell Robinson has been shining at camp so far and I can see the team really struggling to cut him.

At this point the positions that will be hard to make cuts will be DL, WR, and maybe Corner.

For the DL the team usually keeps around 9 guys. Right now we have locks to make it in Ware, Knighton, Williams, Wolfe, Jackson, Smith. That is 6 for sure players making it. Guys that most likely make it are Vickerson and Austin. So the bubble guys become Anunike (having a great camp), Unrein (big time veteran for the team plus plays both sides of the ball). So most likely we will lose at least one guy from this position group that then goes to another team possibly to start.

Corner we usually keep around 5 guys. Right now the locks are Talib, Harris, Roby, and Webster. That means only one spot available between guys like Tony Carter, Louis Young (my dark horse to make the team), and maybe Omar Bolden depending how you look at him on our roster. I'm somewhat hoping Bolden falls in the Safety group and is able to make a go of it. Been hearing very good things about this kid this year. Very good depth guy as he plays Corner, Safety, and Special Teams. Those are the guys you like for the back end of the roster.

WR is truly going to be the test though for this team. DT, Welker, Sanders, and Latimer are locks. Caldwell most likely makes it. Last year we kept 5 receivers and that was including Holiday so if we decide to keep 6 this year it will be interesting to see where they cut from on the roster. Right now I have heard outstanding things about guys like Burse (plays both receiver and return man very well), Norwood, and Fowler. All 3 of those guys have really started making a name for themselves at camp. Those are going to be some tough names to take off the board for the coaches.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off day from camp so don't expect a whole lot of updates. Very excited though to read some of the players' tweets this morning and how a day off just means the whole day spent in the film room and playbook. This team is focused I would say a lot more this year than last.

Also if you get a chance I would go over the Milehighreport and read the article titled "What went wrong with the run game in 2013." The writer did a very good job of breaking down the issues of last year and where to look for the issues heading into this season. If you don't want to read the whole article it essentially breaks down to the problems last year were with the OL in both Clark and Ramirez graded out very very poorly in the run game. They whiffed on close to 1 in 4 attempts to block in the run game last year leading to a lot of negative run plays. I'm hoping that since both are now in their 2nd year that they will show some improvement plus having Clady back obviously helps but there still might be some struggles in the run game at first this year.