• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp 2013

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the same thing, but Collie isn't that small. He's 6'1", 200. Not big by any means, but not like a Welker type.

I thought the same too... he is the tallest WR on our team behind lockette.

I take that back Osgood is 6-5

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never considered Cully a physical CB ASO is much more physical than Cully IMO

Oh I actually have it the other way around lol.... I had Cully as a solid tackler in the back plus he gets really jabby at the LOS... and sometimes beyond the 5 yard allowance. His postseason performance(SB) was terrible though.

I heard that when Aso played in a zone defense the last few years, he couldn't be as physical. I'm not much of a defensive guy, but I'd like to how physical he can be in our defense.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
really? wow... he seems a lot smaller in my memory flashback lane lol

Yeah, I was pulling up his combine numbers and I was pretty surprised he's as big as he is. I think of him as being pretty undersized.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McDonald is doing a great job receiving but needs to work on blocking. Celek is doing a good job blocking but just ok receiving.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McDonald could be huge for us in the redzone... I expect his blocking to be much better as time goes by.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I really wouldn't start being concerned about performances at training camp until around the 3rd preseason game especially for the young guys and newcomers to the team.

Everyone is going to have some good days and some bad days over the course of camp so it's best not to read too much into them good or bad.

I mean if we had blog updates of training camp in the 80's can you imagine message boards wondering if Montana or Rice have got it and doubting Young will ever be a starting QB in the league.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The backup TE spot is not looking as solid as neither Celek nor McDonald have impressed. Regardless here is the stat breakdown of targets and catches from yesterday's 11-11 drills (the last paragraph):

49ers blog: Training camp D9: Jenkins returns, makes deep catch; Brock jumps out as no. 3 CB - 49ers - The Sacramento Bee

I think the TE spot in general will be a strength. No concerns about Davis, but I'm excited about the young guys, too. They have been a little up-and-down, as one would expect of most young players when you evaluate them on a day-to-day basis. However, the overall reviews have been positive. McDonald will be an upgrade as a receiver over Walker, the only question is if we can replicate his blocking. But I could see scenarios that have all three of our TEs on the field at once, especially given how the WR corps looks.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think the TE spot in general will be a strength. No concerns about Davis, but I'm excited about the young guys, too. They have been a little up-and-down, as one would expect of most young players when you evaluate them on a day-to-day basis. However, the overall reviews have been positive. McDonald will be an upgrade as a receiver over Walker, the only question is if we can replicate his blocking. But I could see scenarios that have all three of our TEs on the field at once, especially given how the WR corps looks.

I have a feeling Celek is going to be asked to take over more of Walker's blocking duties and McDonald is going to be more of a WR this season.

I do believe McDonald will completely take over Walker's role eventually but I remember in the 2011 season Davis and Walker were saying it took them a long time to get their roles so I think the team will ease McDonald into Walkers role by playing to his strengths of receiving and easing him into the blocking schemes.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to hear Jenkins is bouncing back, I hope by the end of camp they turn him into an NFL WR. Right now he is a Glanville WR, not for long.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Jikkle and Crimson, both very good points and I agree. Taking the day to day blogs of camp statistics at more than face value won't tell us much.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Patrick Willis - LB - 49ers

49ers ILB Patrick Willis will require surgery on his slightly fractured right hand.

He'll be sidelined "only a few weeks" and is expected back in "plenty of time" for the regular season opener. An injury like this is far less concerning for a player of Willis' track record and caliber. He's also played through broken hands before. Less camp time may even help Willis with fresher early-season legs.
Source: Mike Sando on Twitter

Aug 5 - 2:54 PM

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read every practice about Mickey D dropping passes so I wouldn't call him great in that department yet.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another strong showing for AJ Jenkins today at practice, two days in a row, lets how this is just the start of something big. Perhaps I should bad mouth him more often..............

AJ is a bust, he'll never amount to anything. *crosses fingers*