• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here's why I'm against firing Rivera or anyone else right now.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The number one reason why I don't believe that it's a good time to fire Rivera or any of his staff right now is because it is far too late for that.

Too late??? Sty what the Eff are you talking about???

Well several years ago, I posted an in-depth look at this team and called for his dismissal. (Here's the link)

Ron Rivera has served his purpose and should be dismissed after the season. .Oct 29, 2020

At the time I was met with dismissal, some ridicule, and a fair amount of "way too early" for that at the time. So, okay, we ride with Ron. Subsequently, when I noticed zero changes I reintroduced the dismissal notion. (Here's that link)

The case for firing RR and staff Jan 16, 2023​

Letting Rivera go doesn't change the identity or personality of the team, that's honed over time and reinforced during training camp when you have a head coach who's entering his 4th season in charge.
Now, after yet another embarrassing loss on national television, the faithful are lighting torches and priming pitchforks as calls mount for the immediate dismissal of Ron Rivera et.al. Beyond my opening reason (it being too late) or the rehashed ones in prior postings, there are other things to consider.

Number one among them is that the team has been sold and the Dwayne Haskins standard must take precedence. Remember that? I do, and here’s how that works. When Rivera was hired there were numerous reminders that Haskins wasn’t drafted by or endorsed by the new management team, perhaps he actually sucked or was not managed well but ok, fair enough, so why shouldn’t that same mindset apply to Rivera and company who find themselves in the exact same situation with the Josh Harris ownership team? Dwayne got seven starts, and that should be the metric for Rivera, seven games. However, there’s one caveat to those seven games… he’s 2-3 through the first five so he must lose the next two!!

Hopefully, there’s little doubt that any man and his associates who have paid 6.2 Billion dollars for a NFL team has a determined intent on putting his stamp on the newly acquired product and that he and his team will want every advantage that they can get towards that redo. A top 5 draft pick helps this team more than another middle of the road finish ever could.

I love the fire that EB brings to the team and the changes to the culture that he’s begun on the offensive side of the ball. That said, it would be unfair to him to elevate him to HC against the laissez-faire attitudes of parts of the team, not under his tutelage. If they want to elevate him to HC, do it during the off-season when he’s able to work with a new GM and put his imprint on the entire team during workouts and training camp.

Bringing in a new coach or changing the current one does nothing to enhance the future of this franchise right now. That future begins in earnest in 2024 and there’s nothing that can be done about the current basic make-up of the squad, perhaps a tweak here and there but the main cast of characters won’t change either. Admittedly I wanted Rivera and Co. gone long ago, but as I stated in the opening, now it’s far too late for that.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is not an official stat, but I feel like when interim coach has come in, they usually win their first game. Now sometimes it’s because the team has decided when to fire their coach, and their coach is going to have their losing streak against a good team and so it’s usually after a bad loss to a good team right before playing against a bad team, and then the team rallies.

I think that if you were too fire Rivera now, there’s a chance that the next guy would have enough success to ruin your draft pick and maybe keep the guy even though it’s fools gold. There’s a period of time where players who were relieved that the coach was fired, and the idea that you should give the new guy a chance will have a honeymoon stage. But let the momentum happen in the off-season instead. Let the new guy have some input in the draft maybe. Now of course, I’m not using official stats on that so it’s only based upon my feeling that interim coaches usually do well early. If you hit, you hit, but I think it’s harder in season.

Having said that, doesn’t it seem that Rivera has often won towards the end or gotten a playoff spot that didn’t have true contention and that has given him time to stay? The question is whether you strike with the iron is hot and fire him or do you feel that he won’t turn it around enough to be kept?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is not an official stat, but I feel like when interim coach has come in, they usually win their first game. Now sometimes it’s because the team has decided when to fire their coach, and their coach is going to have their losing streak against a good team and so it’s usually after a bad loss to a good team right before playing against a bad team, and then the team rallies.

I think that if you were too fire Rivera now, there’s a chance that the next guy would have enough success to ruin your draft pick and maybe keep the guy even though it’s fools gold. There’s a period of time where players who were relieved that the coach was fired, and the idea that you should give the new guy a chance will have a honeymoon stage. But let the momentum happen in the off-season instead. Let the new guy have some input in the draft maybe. Now of course, I’m not using official stats on that so it’s only based upon my feeling that interim coaches usually do well early. If you hit, you hit, but I think it’s harder in season.

Having said that, doesn’t it seem that Rivera has often won towards the end or gotten a playoff spot that didn’t have true contention and that has given him time to stay? The question is whether you strike with the iron is hot and fire him or do you feel that he won’t turn it around enough to be kept?
Excellent points and observations. Moving out of the middle-of-the-pack draft order is extremely difficult, especially if you're already an average team headed by an average head coach. My biggest fear at this point is Rivera's proclivity to survive by posting just enough wins at some point in every season to save himself but hinder the team. If he stays, he must lose games, any win along the way and I'd fire his ass and replace him with Jeff Saturday! Hey, it worked out well for the Colts!! :pound:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent points and observations. Moving out of the middle-of-the-pack draft order is extremely difficult, especially if you're already an average team headed by an average head coach. My biggest fear at this point is Rivera's proclivity to survive by posting just enough wins at some point in every season to save himself but hinder the team. If he stays, he must lose games, any win along the way and I'd fire his ass and replace him with Jeff Saturday! Hey, it worked out well for the Colts!! :pound:

And Rivera could sue like the Miami coach Brian Flores sued saying that he was told to lose. Win-win.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if harris has any sense he,ll fire them all as soon as the season ends,he,ll probably keep bienemy cause he,s still under his two year deal.but everybody else should be gone.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The number one reason why I don't believe that it's a good time to fire Rivera or any of his staff right now is because it is far too late for that.

Too late??? Sty what the Eff are you talking about???

Well several years ago, I posted an in-depth look at this team and called for his dismissal. (Here's the link)

Ron Rivera has served his purpose and should be dismissed after the season. .Oct 29, 2020

At the time I was met with dismissal, some ridicule, and a fair amount of "way too early" for that at the time. So, okay, we ride with Ron. Subsequently, when I noticed zero changes I reintroduced the dismissal notion. (Here's that link)

The case for firing RR and staff Jan 16, 2023​

Letting Rivera go doesn't change the identity or personality of the team, that's honed over time and reinforced during training camp when you have a head coach who's entering his 4th season in charge.
Now, after yet another embarrassing loss on national television, the faithful are lighting torches and priming pitchforks as calls mount for the immediate dismissal of Ron Rivera et.al. Beyond my opening reason (it being too late) or the rehashed ones in prior postings, there are other things to consider.

Number one among them is that the team has been sold and the Dwayne Haskins standard must take precedence. Remember that? I do, and here’s how that works. When Rivera was hired there were numerous reminders that Haskins wasn’t drafted by or endorsed by the new management team, perhaps he actually sucked or was not managed well but ok, fair enough, so why shouldn’t that same mindset apply to Rivera and company who find themselves in the exact same situation with the Josh Harris ownership team? Dwayne got seven starts, and that should be the metric for Rivera, seven games. However, there’s one caveat to those seven games… he’s 2-3 through the first five so he must lose the next two!!

Hopefully, there’s little doubt that any man and his associates who have paid 6.2 Billion dollars for a NFL team has a determined intent on putting his stamp on the newly acquired product and that he and his team will want every advantage that they can get towards that redo. A top 5 draft pick helps this team more than another middle of the road finish ever could.

I love the fire that EB brings to the team and the changes to the culture that he’s begun on the offensive side of the ball. That said, it would be unfair to him to elevate him to HC against the laissez-faire attitudes of parts of the team, not under his tutelage. If they want to elevate him to HC, do it during the off-season when he’s able to work with a new GM and put his imprint on the entire team during workouts and training camp.

Bringing in a new coach or changing the current one does nothing to enhance the future of this franchise right now. That future begins in earnest in 2024 and there’s nothing that can be done about the current basic make-up of the squad, perhaps a tweak here and there but the main cast of characters won’t change either. Admittedly I wanted Rivera and Co. gone long ago, but as I stated in the opening, now it’s far too late for that.
Don't always agree but you're always a good read Sty.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if harris has any sense he,ll fire them all as soon as the season ends,he,ll probably keep bienemy cause he,s still under his two year deal.but everybody else should be gone.
I agree with some of this.

I simply want the new GM to have a say in the promotion of EB.

If Harris pulls EB aside and says "you are the new HC" and no GM is in place, I don't think that is a good idea. I want the GM to have full authority over everything.

Remember head coaches get hired pretty quickly once the season ends, so it's not like Harris will have a lot of time to orchestrate this. I would hope he is making inquiries now or close to the end of the season. If EB keeps up what he is doing, which I think he will, I would prefer something to this effect.

*2-3 weeks before the last game, Harris identifies his new GM and via back channels starts negotiations. Share the owner's vision with the new prospective GM and advise that EB is the preferred HC candidate. Ask if that is agreeable and would they sign off on that hire? If not, who would be their choice as HC? If there is alignment with EB, proceed forward. If not, then decide if EB is the HC you truly want OR if you defer to the GM for all on-field matters. In this example, the prospective GM agrees with hiring EB.

*Black Monday arrives, and Rivera is fired

*On that Tuesday, the new GM is officially hired

*That same day, EB is promoted/hired as the new HC

*That week, EB begins identifying the new OC and new DC

*That week, the new GM begins identifying his new front office staff

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Rivera could sue like the Miami coach Brian Flores sued saying that he was told to lose. Win-win.
Nope, the difference is I wouldn't tell him to lose games, but if he did win just one...

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this team needs a house cleaning . we have draft picks , we have cap space , we have what we need to start over . i let only a few key players stay . CY and sweat can walk . ( yes we have the money to resign them but the choice should be to let them walk ) i dont give davis a 5th yr option . i dont resign barton , i let gibby walk , i let thomas walk because all i see are a boatload of comp picks

harris , majic need to implement their philosophy , pick their VP of ops , who picks his GM who picks his coach

sty is right we should ride this out with RR

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think Harris fires Rivera after everything he did at the end of Snyder’s tenure as owner. Rivera had to fix Club Jay, be the face of the Snyder’s, lead the name change and everything related to the front office cheerleader debacle.

That being said, I do think there needs to be some sort of landmark firing or benching, or something, because the effort out of the gate the past four games has been just about awful. Admittedly, in a year where it’s lame duck status for just about everyone, I don’t know what that is, but what we saw last night was inexcusable and can’t happen again.

What we need to do is tear down the front office to the struts. Just like what the Orioles did up the road. It’s not going to be fixed in an off-season. Folks who are in legacy positions because they’re former Panthers, or former Redskins, all need to go. Just like how the Orioles had folks in their front office who were parts of the “Oriole Way” and kept their jobs because of it………if they can‘t adapt to the new way of doing things after a year, they need to be gone.

A new GM needs to lead this, and they need to be able to pick the coach that they think can work with them. A young coach who champions new ideas, who can relate to players in this new age of technology and social media. Someone who is embracing and ahead of the analytics curve in the NFL. It’s probably going to be a younger GM doing this as well. There’s no shortage of great candidates out there if they want to go this route. But it’s going to take time. We need to modernize how we think and go about things.

I am infinitely more concerned about hiring a GM and structuring our front office more than I am about a head coach at this juncture.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
welcome to SportsHoopla , nice post !

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think Harris fires Rivera after everything he did at the end of Snyder’s tenure as owner. Rivera had to fix Club Jay, be the face of the Snyder’s, lead the name change and everything related to the front office cheerleader debacle.

That being said, I do think there needs to be some sort of landmark firing or benching, or something, because the effort out of the gate the past four games has been just about awful. Admittedly, in a year where it’s lame duck status for just about everyone, I don’t know what that is, but what we saw last night was inexcusable and can’t happen again.

What we need to do is tear down the front office to the struts. Just like what the Orioles did up the road. It’s not going to be fixed in an off-season. Folks who are in legacy positions because they’re former Panthers, or former Redskins, all need to go. Just like how the Orioles had folks in their front office who were parts of the “Oriole Way” and kept their jobs because of it………if they can‘t adapt to the new way of doing things after a year, they need to be gone.

A new GM needs to lead this, and they need to be able to pick the coach that they think can work with them. A young coach who champions new ideas, who can relate to players in this new age of technology and social media. Someone who is embracing and ahead of the analytics curve in the NFL. It’s probably going to be a younger GM doing this as well. There’s no shortage of great candidates out there if they want to go this route. But it’s going to take time. We need to modernize how we think and go about things.

I am infinitely more concerned about hiring a GM and structuring our front office more than I am about a head coach at this juncture.
Great post. Welcome aboard.
Yes, the front office needs to be scrubbed and disinfected.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I am not a Washington fan so I hope I’m not chiming in too often, but I felt the season was not going anywhere when Rivera decided to leave Howell and MacLaurin in to avoid a shutout. Down 37-0 and you have your QB and best player in for a meaningless purpose? MacLaurin got hit on that drive and luckily was not knocked out. I know the Eagles game was after that and had fight, it just seemed like the priorities were askew. (And yes, I know players have pride and can get hurt with no contact, slipping in the shower, etc.) Mathematically, you guys are not out. There’s room for 9-10 wins, purgatory.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Punk ass move just to not be shut out.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I am not a Washington fan so I hope I’m not chiming in too often, but I felt the season was not going anywhere when Rivera decided to leave Howell and MacLaurin in to avoid a shutout. Down 37-0 and you have your QB and best player in for a meaningless purpose? MacLaurin got hit on that drive and luckily was not knocked out. I know the Eagles game was after that and had fight, it just seemed like the priorities were askew. (And yes, I know players have pride and can get hurt with no contact, slipping in the shower, etc.) Mathematically, you guys are not out. There’s room for 9-10 wins, purgatory.
First off post here anytime and as often as you like . Second you could be right

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the opposite view but I still think sty is right