• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too early for trade rumors?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zaidi is a died-in-the-wool "we go for the platoon/utility player" kinda guy, it seems. A player that can handle multiple positions, Z just creams over him. It's not a *bad* thing to have avail, but Z goes overboard for it. As well as giving guys 20 games, then dumping them if they aren't the 2nd coming of Trout.
Yeah, he can be a bit quick on the trigger but at least he gives younger plays a chance more often than the previous regime.
We'll see how the multi-position utility model works, long term, in SF. Hopefully, since we'll see a lot of it, it will work.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he can be a bit quick on the trigger but at least he gives younger plays a chance more often than the previous regime.
We'll see how the multi-position utility model works, long term, in SF. Hopefully, since we'll see a lot of it, it will work.

It's worked out pretty well recently with Dick, Yaz and Panik switching out with Tyler Austin Slater, and Solano.

It's also been working out really well for the dodgers for years :brick:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farhan is always so thoughtful and honest when he's asked questions by the media. If you haven't had a chance, I would really recommend tuning into his interviews. He's fantastic, and the Giants are very fortunate to have him. In Zaidi we trust!

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Text of letter (some at the bottom was cut off for me) :

A Message from Farhan Zaidi
renderTimingPixel.png

July 31, 2019

I want to thank you for welcoming me to San Francisco and for your support as we've navigated through the first half of the season. Now that we're past the trade deadline, I wanted to take a moment to provide you with an update on our baseball strategy and to give you a little more insight on some of today's decisions.

As I mentioned when I joined the Giants back in November, our goal is to play meaningful baseball as deep into the season as possible by continuously making moves to strengthen our roster on a daily basis. I recognize that the pace of roster moves is probably more than you have been accustomed to, but I firmly believe the changes we have made give us the best possible chance to win each day and position us well for the future. As you well know, over the past couple of months, the team has gotten back on track and we find ourselves right in the middle of a tight postseason race. And given the talent on this team, I like our chances down the stretch.

Going into the trade deadline, our goal was to strengthen the team for this season and reload for the future. While it's always difficult to part with talented pitchers like Mark Melancon, Sam Dyson, Drew Pomeranz and Ray Black, we are fortunate to have the organizational depth to fulfill those roles. All four of these players have made significant contributions to the Giants and I want to thank them for helping us get to where we are to date.

We are extremely excited about the newest additions to the organization - some who have the potential to make an immediate impact. All-Star Scooter Gennett has the potential to bring more infield depth and power to our lineup. In Mauricio Dubon, we have acquired a highly touted, versatile prospect who plays multiple positions and can help solidify our infield in the near future. Additionally, we have been able to acquire some talented young arms (Prelander Berroa, Kai Wei Teng and Tristan Beck) to add to our pitching depth at all levels. Jaylin Davis and Joseph McCarthy bring outfield versatility, power and athleticism and both have the potential to contribute in the immediate future.

As you can see, it's been a whirlwind of activity today and the moves we made - and in some cases, didn't make -- position us well now and beyond. I hope you are as excited as I am to see how these next several weeks unfold. I look forward to seeing you at the ballpark in the coming days and weeks.

Sincerely,

Farhan Zaidi

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farhan is always so thoughtful and honest when he's asked questions by the media. If you haven't had a chance, I would really recommend tuning into his interviews. He's fantastic, and the Giants are very fortunate to have him. In Zaidi we trust!

Did you notice that Dan Winkler wasn't in that letter? We just found out why.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Giants Designate Dan Winkler For Assignment

The Giants announced that they’ve designated right-hander Dan Winkler for assignment Thursday. His spot on the 40-man roster will go to lefty Sam Selman, whose contract has been selected from Triple-A Sacramento. The Giants also placed outfielder Alex Dickerson on the 10-day injured list due to an oblique strain.

Winkler’s DFA comes less than 24 hours after the Giants acquired him in the trade that sent Mark Melancon to Atlanta. Jettisoning Winkler underscores that the move was largely one about finances for the Giants, who were stunningly able to unload the entirety of Melancon’s remaining $18.3MM on the Braves.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's interesting is that Winkler has 2 option years left (AFTER this season). ATL grabbed him from the Rockies in the (Dec 2014) Rule 5 draft, then put him on the 60-day DL in both 2015, 2016, and most of 2017. He has over 4 years of service time, but only 100 IP in that time.

Remember that "DFA" doesn't necessarily mean "gone". The Giants have up to 10 days to trade him, then they put him on outright waivers to send him to the minors (and he could be claimed at that point by another team, who would pay his contract).

The Giants might be able to trade him (trade or lost to the waiver wire), OR he may end up in the Giants minors (outrighted). Since he has more than 3 years of service time he can refuse the assignment and become a free agent, but if he does he walks away from the rest of this year's salary (about half of $1.8M) - the salary wouldn't be guaranteed. If the Giants manage to keep him in the minors, he would end the year with less than 5.0 years of service time (he had been in ATL minors since mid-June) and thus would be captive for (at least) 2 more seasons - and would still have 2 options left. The Giants could evaluate/train/fix him at leisure for the next 2 months and he could even pitch in the post-season (with the team before Aug 31st, and replacing a player on the DL who was on the "active" roster during the 2019 season). They would have to put him on the 40-man before Dec (he would most likely get grabbed in the rule 5 draft again otherwise).

Not a bad move. I like it. We dumped Melly's salary, and might get another interesting piece back in trade (or Winkler stashed in the minors as a backup / emergency replacement).

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's funny, I noticed when I read it and just thought it was a slap in Winkler's face, because no way Zaidi forgot about him. Butt yeah that move was definitely planned when they acquired him.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny, I noticed when I read it and just thought it was a slap in Winkler's face, because no way Zaidi forgot about him. Butt yeah that move was definitely planned when they acquired him.

Kinda dickish really...trade for a guy to ultimately cut inside of 24 hours...Why ask for him to begin with...how much is the organization saving by cutting him? Is he worse than pitchers we have at every level of our system? Does he have such a large low ceiling that GMs think nothing of him?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda dickish really...trade for a guy to ultimately cut inside of 24 hours...Why ask for him to begin with...how much is the organization saving by cutting him? Is he worse than pitchers we have at every level of our system? Does he have such a large low ceiling that GMs think nothing of him?

What's interesting is that Winkler has 2 option years left (AFTER this season). ATL grabbed him from the Rockies in the (Dec 2014) Rule 5 draft, then put him on the 60-day DL in both 2015, 2016, and most of 2017. He has over 4 years of service time, but only 100 IP in that time.

Remember that "DFA" doesn't necessarily mean "gone". The Giants have up to 10 days to trade him, then they put him on outright waivers to send him to the minors (and he could be claimed at that point by another team, who would pay his contract).

The Giants might be able to trade him (trade or lost to the waiver wire), OR he may end up in the Giants minors (outrighted). Since he has more than 3 years of service time he can refuse the assignment and become a free agent, but if he does he walks away from the rest of this year's salary (about half of $1.8M) - the salary wouldn't be guaranteed. If the Giants manage to keep him in the minors, he would end the year with less than 5.0 years of service time (he had been in ATL minors since mid-June) and thus would be captive for (at least) 2 more seasons - and would still have 2 options left. The Giants could evaluate/train/fix him at leisure for the next 2 months and he could even pitch in the post-season (with the team before Aug 31st, and replacing a player on the DL who was on the "active" roster during the 2019 season). They would have to put him on the 40-man before Dec (he would most likely get grabbed in the rule 5 draft again otherwise).

Not a bad move. I like it. We dumped Melly's salary, and might get another interesting piece back in trade (or Winkler stashed in the minors as a backup / emergency replacement).

Durban, welcome to the forum! It is always nice to have more Giants' fans over here at the Hoop. Please take a moment to share a bit about yourself in the "Introduce Yourself" thread. Meanwhile, I think you'll find Marco's post, quoted above, informative. I was also questioning the point of acquiring Winkler, just to have him dfa'd, but I think Marco's post to helpful in understanding the move.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dyson blew his first save opportunity with the Twins, giving up three runs in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game, which the Twins lost in 12, 5-4.
Apparently, Dyson got sent to the Twins with an injury - Latest On Sam Dyson. Sounds like, so far, the Giants are in the clear but the Twins are a bit pissed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due diligence. The Twins should try it.

Players are famous for hiding injuries. Dyson in particular, iirc, has a history of hiding injuries from his coaches (wasn’t there an issue of him in Texas???)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due diligence. The Twins should try it.

Players are famous for hiding injuries. Dyson in particular, iirc, has a history of hiding injuries from his coaches (wasn’t there an issue of him in Texas???)
I don't remember if he had a history of doing this, but, if you are correct, then it does reflect poorly on the Twins not doing their due diligence.