• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too early for trade rumors?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who gets shipped down tomorrow in favor of Gennett?

Austin?

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have read everything posted on the board first (I've been out of the country until last night) - but I didn't. So sue me.

According to San Francisco Giants Rumors - MLB Trade Rumors

Gone: .......................................... traded for :

Drew Pomeranz & Ray Black ........ (Brewers) Mauricio Dubon {2B, minors}

{Cash}, PTBNL .......................... (Reds) Scooter Gennett {2B}

Melancon (& his salary) .............. (Braves) Tristan Beck (minors, RHStP) Dan Winkler (RHRP)

Jacob Lopez (low minors, LHStP) .... (Rays) Joe McCarthy (minors, OF)

Sam Dyson ....... (Twins) prospects Prelander Berroa(RHP), Jaylin Davis (RF), Kai-Wei Teng (RHSP)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say, I don’t hate any of these trades. I really like the Dupon deal. I like picking up Gennett, but it is hard to have an opinion on a ptbnl deal. Getting completely out from under Melancon was a great move. Truly selling high on him. I don’t have an opinion on the package for Dyson, but he is a solid reliever, so I can only assume there is talent in those kids. McCarthy may be the winner of the bunch, though. I would not be surprised to see him starting before opening day next year. And I literally have never heard of this Lopez kid.

No Earth-shaking Smith or Bum deals, but I don’t think FZ has the cache within the org to be able to make those trades in the current climate, so I am not surprised. But picking up at least 2 guys who immediately get inserted into our top 10 prospects is a decent haul. It may be time for a 2020 thread and some deep diving into the farm (which I am dreadfully unfamiliar with this year). I may start those tonight...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Scooter Gennett traded, in light of all the other trades, puzzles me. Gennett hasn't shown anything since his activation this month by the Reds. His main calling card is power but didn't show much of it in Cincinnati this year. His 1 to 20 walk to strikeout ratio this year (in 69 plate appearances) looks troubling too. Maybe he just isn't 100 percent yet but how he helps the lineup is hard to understand. And if the one big area of strength has been stripped (three bullpen guys, plus one AAA insurance guy), why the need to pick up a veteran, possible has been infielder?

Because he was an All-star last year and they got him for nothin. I like it.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say, I don’t hate any of these trades. I really like the Dupon deal. I like picking up Gennett, but it is hard to have an opinion on a ptbnl deal. Getting completely out from under Melancon was a great move. Truly selling high on him. I don’t have an opinion on the package for Dyson, but he is a solid reliever, so I can only assume there is talent in those kids. McCarthy may be the winner of the bunch, though. I would not be surprised to see him starting before opening day next year. And I literally have never heard of this Lopez kid.

No Earth-shaking Smith or Bum deals, but I don’t think FZ has the cache within the org to be able to make those trades in the current climate, so I am not surprised. But picking up at least 2 guys who immediately get inserted into our top 10 prospects is a decent haul. It may be time for a 2020 thread and some deep diving into the farm (which I am dreadfully unfamiliar with this year). I may start those tonight...

I like what they did.

Zaidi getting Atlanta to pay ALL of Melancon's contract is straight wizardry.

Flipping PomPom and Black for Dubon seems like a win too. I love Ray Black, and I feel like he's going to do really well in MIL, which might make some people cringe, but the Giants just have so many relievers. It's honestly impressive that they were able to get an actual really solid prospect out of him as a 29 year old pitcher. Durbon is a better prospect than what they got for Cutch last year...

The Dyson deal seems a bit underwhelming. Davis looks interesting, but he sorta just arrived on the map. Teng could be a swingman one day.

Gennett seems like an easy call. 2B is so bad for the Giants. Solano is a solid backup, but if Gennett can re-capture his swing from last year that's a huge upgrade. Sorry Panik.

McCarthy is also another easy call. Bad news for Chris Shaw, though.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was rumored that the Brewers were interested in flipping Duborn for Will Smith, so getting him for PomPom and Black, while keeping Smith, is a pretty great trade off.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what they did.

Flipping PomPom and Black for Dubon seems like a win too. I love Ray Black, and I feel like he's going to do really well in MIL, which might make some people cringe, but the Giants just have so many relievers. It's honestly impressive that they were able to get an actual really solid prospect out of him as a 29 year old pitcher. Durbon is a better prospect than what they got for Cutch last year...

The Dyson deal seems a bit underwhelming. Davis looks interesting, but he sorta just arrived on the map. Teng could be a swingman one day.

Gennett seems like an easy call. 2B is so bad for the Giants. Solano is a solid backup, but if Gennett can re-capture his swing from last year that's a huge upgrade. Sorry Panik.

I have heard nothing but rave reviews for the Dubon kid. And I have said for a while now that I don’t expect Panik to be on the roster come opening day. This all but cements that. I like Black as well, but more as an interesting story than as an actual asset. Turning him into a potential multi-year infield starter is a BIG win.

I want to do a bit of a deep dive into the Dyson package this evening. I really have no idea who any of these guys are.

Gennett was a free buy at a position of Uber-need. Win.

Being able to take advantage of another teams stupid-depth and roster crunch is very fortunate. While he likely is not an all star, he could be a nice low-level starter/solid reserve OFer. And I think this new regime gave up on Shaw before they even got here. Just not fans.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was rumored that the Brewers were interested in flipping Duborn for Will Smith, so getting him for PomPom and Black, while keeping Smith, is a pretty great trade off.
When the news that Dubon was coming here broke, it was always mentioned with the note that Bum was not included in the trade. The need to clarify that is a bit telling

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard nothing but rave reviews for the Dubon kid. And I have said for a while now that I don’t expect Panik to be on the roster come opening day. This all but cements that. I like Black as well, but more as an interesting story than as an actual asset. Turning him into a potential multi-year infield starter is a BIG win.

I want to do a bit of a deep dive into the Dyson package this evening. I really have no idea who any of these guys are.

Gennett was a free buy at a position of Uber-need. Win.

Being able to take advantage of another teams stupid-depth and roster crunch is very fortunate. While he likely is not an all star, he could be a nice low-level starter/solid reserve OFer. And I think this new regime gave up on Shaw before they even got here. Just not fans.

Same, the Duborn deal just feels great.

Yeah when I saw the Rays were going to have to trade some guys because of the 40-man crunch, I was hoping the Giants would get involved. And agreed, RE Shaw. He's just not a FZ type of player.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be real interesting to see what they do with Panik. He can be optioned....

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zaidi seems to really like Jaylin Davis, who they got from Minnesota. He was raving about his athleticism, says he can play all 3 OF spots and has really impressive right-handed power. He said that Davis has shown some of the best exit-velos in AAA in his short time there.

Zaidi also mentioned that he thinks Durbon can play all over the field, including the OF. A guy who can play SS and CF and hit a little is extremely valuable (see Chris Taylor, dodgers)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what they did.

I love the Pomeranz/Black and especially the Melancon trades (especially the Melancon trade). What is not to like about getting another team to take on the rest of his contract and get some players in return? However, those two trades almost make the Dyson trade underwhelming. Seems like they went with quantity on that one. But maybe one of those guys works out.
I don't quite get the need for more upper minor league outfielders. Are they giving up on Dickerson, Yastrzemski, Slater and Duggar? What about the numbers Shaw and Gerber are posting in AAA? Who do they drop from AAA (assuming both McCarthy and Davis get assigned there)? I am surprised that Shaw wasn't packaged to some AL team, just to make room.
I've already shared my thoughts on Gennett. I like that nothing, essentially, was given up for him. Just don't see how he is needed here. Like I mentioned, his calling card is power. He hasn't shown any this year and is moving from Cincinnati to San Francisco. I just think he'll be more of the same (i.e. Panik) but with worse defense.

I do think that Jacob Lopez could bit us, especially if McCarthy's struggles aren't short term. But it could go the completely opposite direction as well.

Overall, though, I like what FZ was able to do today.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Other notable Day 3 picks:

26th round: Jacob Lopez- LHP out of College of the Canyons. Soft-baller. Fastball in the high 80s up to 90, slider in the mid 70s, curveball in the low 70s. Baseball Census has a full report on him, and they like hi a lot. College of the Canyons LHP Jacob Lopez Scouting Report, 2018
How quickly you've forgotten our 26th round pick from last year.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the Pomeranz/Black and especially the Melancon trades (especially the Melancon trade). What is not to like about getting another team to take on the rest of his contract and get some players in return? However, those two trades almost make the Dyson trade underwhelming. Seems like they went with quantity on that one. But maybe one of those guys works out.
I don't quite get the need for more upper minor league outfielders. Are they giving up on Dickerson, Yastrzemski, Slater and Duggar? What about the numbers Shaw and Gerber are posting in AAA? Who do they drop from AAA (assuming both McCarthy and Davis get assigned there)? I am surprised that Shaw wasn't packaged to some AL team, just to make room.
I've already shared my thoughts on Gennett. I like that nothing, essentially, was given up for him. Just don't see how he is needed here. Like I mentioned, his calling card is power. He hasn't shown any this year and is moving from Cincinnati to San Francisco. I just think he'll be more of the same (i.e. Panik) but with worse defense.

I do think that Jacob Lopez could bit us, especially if McCarthy's struggles aren't short term. But it could go the completely opposite direction as well.

Overall, though, I like what FZ was able to do today.

Yeah the Dyson trade seems more quantity over quality, but as I mentioned in an above post, Zaidi seems pretty high on Davis, and he's right handed. Makes a nice compliment to the left-handed Yaz and Dick, and Zaidi seems to believe he can play all 3 OF spots.

Panik has been in a serious decline since the 2017 ASB. Gennett had an injury and a bad month since his return after two excellent years. There's a bit more upside with Gennett, and if he doesn't workout this year, you move on from both in November with not much lost.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zaidi also mentioned that he thinks Durbon can play all over the field,

Zaidi is a died-in-the-wool "we go for the platoon/utility player" kinda guy, it seems. A player that can handle multiple positions, Z just creams over him. It's not a *bad* thing to have avail, but Z goes overboard for it. As well as giving guys 20 games, then dumping them if they aren't the 2nd coming of Trout.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand Dubon is 25 years old and has some questions but I am a bit surprised the Giants were able to get him for just Pomeranz and Black. There seems to be more question marks on the two of them. I think, initially, the Giants win this trade.
Just subtracting Pooh Dramapantz was enough for me to grade it a "win."