• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Introduce Yourself

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marco had a good idea, and this MAY help with some running issues we have here...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can start...

I am an old-time poster from the Disney days. I was a lurker in the good days of Brute and the rest, and became a reg about 5 or 6 years ago. I came here about a week or so after Filo started the migration.

I discovered baseball in about '86 and fell in love with the Humm Baby teams. I started as a hybrid Giants/A's fan, with a slight edge to the Giants, but went entirely to the Giants about the time of the 90 WS. The A's disappointed me 3 straight years, so I was done with them. I never looked back.

I currently live in San Diego and try to get at least a few games at AT&T South each year. I have yet to make it to the real Phone Booth.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What cal said, but minus the A's stuff because both of my parents were born and raised in The City. I never really had a choice. I look at the 2010 World Series Championship as my birthright (tongue planted firmly in cheek). Welcome, newcomers!

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK - for real. I was born and raised in upstate NY. Not exactly SFG country, But I didn't want to be a Yankee fan like everyone else. My first baseball card (I was 6) was off the back of a Post cereal box, and it was Willie Mays, 1962.

And this is a true story. I was 9 years old, and the first time I went to BUY baseball cards (5 cents/pack) at our corner drug store, an old man was sitting at the counter, drinking a Coke. He asked me who my favorite player was. I said "Willie Mays". He sifted through the packs in the box on the counter, and said, "He's in this one." So I bought the pack, and sure enough he was in there (1965). And despite spending a small fortune on baseball cards over the next few years, I never got another Willie Mays. And I never saw that old man again.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK - for real. I was born and raised in upstate NY. Not exactly SFG country, But I didn't want to be a Yankee fan like everyone else. My first baseball card (I was 6) was off the back of a Post cereal box, and it was Willie Mays, 1962.

And this is a true story. I was 9 years old, and the first time I went to BUY baseball cards (5 cents/pack) at our corner drug store, an old man was sitting at the counter, drinking a Coke. He asked me who my favorite player was. I said "Willie Mays". He sifted through the packs in the box on the counter, and said, "He's in this one." So I bought the pack, and sure enough he was in there (1965). And despite spending a small fortune on baseball cards over the next few years, I never got another Willie Mays. And I never saw that old man again.

Did he look anything like James Earl Jones or Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he look anything like James Earl Jones or Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham?

He said, "I best be going, lest Alicia thinks I got a girlfriend."

And he winked.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let's see. Have been a Giants' fan all my life. Born in the east bay (near Richmond), went to U.C., now living near San José. I'm a Giants' fan because my dad was (he was born & raised in S.F., and was a Seals fan before that - he watched Joe Dimaggio achieve his 60-game hitting streak with the Seals).

My first Giants' board was "sfdugout" (the original one, before it was gobbled up by scout.com) with BruteSentiment and others, about 10 years ago.

My most memorable Giants' memory :

Well that's hard. There are several, I can't pick just one. I'll do it in chronological order :

- 1960s & 70s: this isn't ONE memory, it's just hot summer Sunday double-headers in the bleachers at the 'stick with my dad. Eating dogs and drinking coke, watching Willie man CF, Bobby Bonds in RF, McCovey at first - and getting a massive sunburn because my dad always insisted on going to double-headers.

- 1997. The Giants have just clinched their first post-season spot since the new owners bought the team. The game ends, and "reserved, mean, angry, selfish" Barry Bonds (the adjectives are those provided by the press, of course) goes wild, hugging his teammates and then getting on top of the dugout and spends a minute or two high-fiving the fans while jumping up and down like a 12-year-old kid.

- either '98 or '99. I'm in the family pavilion at the stick with my kids. (Remember the family pavilion in RF? $5 adult, half that for kids.) I'd just gotten back with the hot dogs and was handing them out during one of Barry's at-bats and then there's a loud *CRACK* of the bat and the crowd starts going wild. I'd been looking at the dogs and my kids, so I look up and there is a ball rocketing *straight* *at* *my* *head* - literally. I yell "look out" at my kids, and duck. The ball hits a seat about 4-5 rows directly behind me (yes, it would have hit me). People are running around trying to get the ball, I just drop to my knees and watch it go *boink*, *boink*, *boink* as it rolls down each level under the seats. Just as it drops down to my level, 2 seats over, the idiot sitting next to me figures out the ball is rolling down and stands up, kicking the ball away. Grrrrrrrr. The 3-4 minutes I was handing out the dogs and eating them was the only time I wasn't wearing my glove the entire game. Grrrrr.

- 2000. Game 2 of the NLDS (vs. Mets), sitting in section 116 behind home plate. The energy at that game was absolutely incredible - I'd never felt anything like that before. All damn game long, down by 1 measly run until the 9th. Then, the Mets score 2 in the top of the 9th, so they are up by 3 when we go to the bottom of the 9th. Both Bonds and Kent get on, and JT Snow comes up as a pinch hitter. He gets around on a pitch and hits a fly to RF. The crowd starts going wild but JT is slowly walking down the line watching the ball as it starts to curve foul and the crowd realizes it's a *very* close call as to whether the ball will make it to the wall or if it will even stay fair. The place goes deathly quiet - everyone is literally holding their breath, waiting to see where the ball will land : the place is almost as quiet as a tomb. I'm sitting behind home plate and *I* hear the tinny "TINK!" as the ball lands on top of the 3-foot-deep tin roof on top of the right field wall. That "tink" must have been heard by everybody in the stadium, it had gotten so quiet. But the quiet only lasted about half a second as the crowd goes absolutely WILD - J.T. has hit a home run and tied the game in the bottom of the 9th, the ball was fair by maybe 10 feet and made it over the wall by *maybe* a foot. I thought the crowd was loud and electric before! I never, EVER had experienced anything like that explosion of joy and noise before, and didn't again until ...

- 2002. Game 5 of the world series. Again, section 116 behind home plate. I had thought the 2000 NLDS crowd was electric, but this crowd was electric and up-beat, and ON FIRE - all game long. Loud and so full of energy, you could feel the energy tingling on your skin. It wasn't that it was my first world series game - I think that it was because it was the first WS game for almost EVERYBODY in the stadium. The Giants scored early, they scored often, at the end of the game we were up by 10 or something, and had a series lead of 3-2 going down to L.A. This is really the craziest, happiest, most energetic crowd I have ever experienced at a ballgame. *ALL* *GAME* *LONG*. They had given out "thunder stix" to the fans and you heard them all game long.

- 2010. First home game of the NLCS, again in section 116 (I couldn't swing seats for the world series that year). The funny thing is, I don't remember much about the game (except that Cain was dealing) - no real individual memories of the game itself. It's the *day* that I remember: beautiful day, getting to the park THREE HOURS before the start of the game, having "brunch" at the java house next door (burger and fries and 2 beers), the crazy number of people all over the place, the absolute zen peace feeling apparently felt by everyone, everybody smiling, walking around the park and the marina before going inside, smelling weed every minute or two during that walk, batting practice, and overall what a great day it was.

- 2010. Game 5 of the W.S. - at home, in front of the T.V. The stress and agony all game long, every batter, almost every pitch until ... the top of the 7th and Renteria. I don't have to say anything more as every Giants fan knows *exactly* where s/he was at that instant, who they were with, and what it felt like.

- 2010. Thanksgiving. Sitting down to dinner at my sister's with about 10 family members. She says "We all have a lot to be thankful for this year ..." and I raise my left hand over my head, curled into a fist, and interrupt her, yelling "World CHAMPIONS, baby!!!!" Everybody laughed, and one of my nephews fell out of his chair he was laughing so hard. I'm known as the "crazy Giants fan" in my family {along with one of my brothers} - so they all knew what it meant to me. My brother "the other crazy fan" high-fived me, and we went on to enjoy one of my best thanksgivings ever.

I of course have a bunch of negative memories as a Giants fan, but ever since Nov 1, 2010 they don't seem to matter as much anymore, and I don't dwell on them. There *IS* one highly negative and bitter memory that I'll tell you, and it's also from Nov 1, 2010. It was right after Renteria put us up by three - RIGHT after. Rowand was the very next batter. Lee had been unraveling that inning (Lee had thrown two balls to Renteria before his HR) and Rowand comes up and SWINGS AT THE FIRST PITCH, which would have been a ball, and flys out weakly to right. He didn't take a single damn pitch and swung at crap. It was one of those "flying so high, then kicked in the balls" moment. Visions of Game 6 of the 2002 WS, up 5 runs to zero late in the game, were flashing through my mind. I couldn't help myself and I completely lost it; I started SCREAMING at Rowand on TV, insults that shouldn't be repeated in public. I *still* haven't gotten over that AB from Rowand. I know I should let it go, but it was *exactly* the type of bullshit that he routinely pulled over the past 2 years.

Anyhow, that's me. ;)

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I migrated from the Mouse board when Cal made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I, too, was a long time poster, lurker there, in the days of Die-Gnats-Die, BruteSentiment, Psycho, GoldenBears98, FriscoShortStop, LLDoyle, Balzac, DFaninWisc, and the rest. Those were fun days, until the mods, and then the auto-mods. Even had our version of "He who Must Not Be Named In SPite of his Repeated Alts", the Portuguese Water Dog.

I grew up in MN as a Twinkies fan. Worst memory was the 1965 World Series, when Sandy Freaking Koufax came back on like two hours rest to pitch a masterful and heart-wrenching Game 7 Dodger win and Twinkie loss. Have hated the Dog-germs ever since.

Moved to the East Bay (Walnut Creek) in the early 1970's. Couldn't bring myself to root for the A's, as they were the Twins' natural rivals in the old AL West. So began to root for the Giants. Have a nice collection of Croix-de-Sticks from extra inning night games at the Stick. Horrible place to watch and play baseball. Went to 8-10 games a year, especially the double-headers with the bands playing after the games. I remember days when there were less than 1,000 people at the Stick for a day game.

Got married in 1980 to a woman who grew up in The City, who was a crazed Giants fan, as was her whole family.

2010 was special in many ways.

So I became a Giants fan due to hatred for the A's and the Dodgers, and then grew to love the team for its own sake. I still hate the A's and Dodgers, but I love the Giants more than I hate those teams. Though, some days, it is pretty close!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, 20 years old living in NorCal (<-- that place) for my childhood and currently in Eugene for college, Chip Kelly says :stfu:

Didn't really start following the Giants until 2002 when I went to my first game with my grandpa against the Padres. Kirk Rueter started, Bonds DNP until a late game pinch hit. Giants lost in extras.

But I really found my interest in 2007 when I again went to a game with my grandpa. Cain pitched a tremendous game against the D-Backs, only game up 1 run on a HR (by Scott Hariston, little did I know what he'd do next). Bonds hit a HR and I got one of those HR chase pins.

Been die-hard ever since then. It not surprisingly is when I began to post on the ESPN boards under the same name. Fought with Tito, was temporarily consumed by nolan early in the 2010 season, only to be saved by tzill and the gang shortly after. Teamed with Filo and Colin and got the fuck out of there and moved here. Rest is history.

Despite not living in the Bay, I still get to about 10 games a year. I also attend Spring Training annually. My only empty feeling as a Giants fan, never going to a game at the 'stick.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are very, very few things I miss about going to games at the 'stick (I sure don't miss the weather!). One of them is the reasonable prices for the family pavilion - you just can't find anything like that anywhere anymore (well, except maybe "dollar Wednesdays" at the Colosseum, but who wants to go there?).

The thing I *really* miss though is being able to walk up to the ticket window before *any* game (well, except when the Dodgers were in town) and buy lower box seats just a few rows up from the field, around 3B. I used to do that all the time - I'd have a free day and zip up to the park, get there 10 minutes before gametime, and have a seat next to the dugout.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are very, very few things I miss about going to games at the 'stick (I sure don't miss the weather!). One of them is the reasonable prices for the family pavilion - you just can't find anything like that anywhere anymore (well, except maybe "dollar Wednesdays" at the Colosseum, but who wants to go there?).

The thing I *really* miss though is being able to walk up to the ticket window before *any* game (well, except when the Dodgers were in town) and buy lower box seats just a few rows up from the field, around 3B. I used to do that all the time - I'd have a free day and zip up to the park, get there 10 minutes before gametime, and have a seat next to the dugout.

Yeah from the things I've heard (both from people here and my grandpa), it isn't a glorious place. But with all the history there, feels like I should have at least seen one there. And I never endured the treacherous conditions that every Giants fans has had to.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While it's hard to argue those being good memories, I'm glad we can't do that anymore because it would mean the Giants suuuuuuuck.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up in Anaheim rooting for the Angels. Being an Angel fan introduced me to the suffering you bring upon yourself by being a baseball fan. The 1986 choke job against the Red Sox in the playoffs was so painful that it still messes with my head.

The Doyers, of course, got all the love/respect in SoCal back then, so I learned to hate them with a passion. So, of course, becoming a Giants fan made a ton of sense. And when Clark and Thompson came up, my interest grew even more.

It wasn't until I moved to the Bay Area in 1992 that I became a die-hard Giant fan. Of course, 1992 was another example of how baseball can crush your heart, but man, that season was awesome. I met my wife that year (a long-time huge Giants fan), and she and I went to a ton of games. Froze our asses off...but hey, I loved The 'Stick. There was a feel there that beautiful corporate phone booth park will never obtain.

I freaking love baseball, and I love the Giants. And thank the Lord (sorry Cam) that Filo invited me over here. This board makes being a baseball fan in general, and a Giants fan in particular, all the more enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up in Anaheim rooting for the Angels. Being an Angel fan introduced me to the suffering you bring upon yourself by being a baseball fan. The 1986 choke job against the Red Sox in the playoffs was so painful that it still messes with my head.

The Doyers, of course, got all the love/respect in SoCal back then, so I learned to hate them with a passion. So, of course, becoming a Giants fan made a ton of sense. And when Clark and Thompson came up, my interest grew even more.

It wasn't until I moved to the Bay Area in 1992 that I became a die-hard Giant fan. Of course, 1992 was another example of how baseball can crush your heart, but man, that season was awesome. I met my wife that year (a long-time huge Giants fan), and she and I went to a ton of games. Froze our asses off...but hey, I loved The 'Stick. There was a feel there that beautiful corporate phone booth park will never obtain.

I freaking love baseball, and I love the Giants. And thank the Lord (sorry Cam) that Filo invited me over here. This board makes being a baseball fan in general, and a Giants fan in particular, all the more enjoyable.

Being married to a fellow Giant fan is awesome, isn't it? :thumb:

And this board is awesome, as long as we keep the neighborhood free of you know who. :boxing:

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being married to a fellow Giant fan is awesome, isn't it? :thumb:

And this board is awesome, as long as we keep the neighborhood free of you know who. :boxing:

Rep for marrying well! :clap2:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rep back atcha. I married up, of course. In high school, I dated a girl who hated baseball, but her dad was a huge A's fan. (shudder!) :drink:

She hated baseball and her dad was an I'S FAN?! Hope she was at least hot :charlie:

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok - an old timer - maybe the oldest here - 66 years young. Been on the Disney boards during the 'golden days'. Went to Runboard for awhile. Migrated to this 'Eden' as the Disney boards were destructing.

Been a Giant fan forever. All started in NY. My father was a Giant fan and took me to quite a few games in my youth. Spent many a day in the Polo Grounds. Was heartbroken when they moved.

My 'biggest' moment in Giant history was attending the 1954 WS and being at the game that Mays made 'the catch'. My biggest disappoinment was being at the 1954 WS and only being 8 years old and not remembering squat about the catch or the game itself.

Remember players like Alvin Dark, Whitey Lochman, Dusty Rhodes, Don Mueller, Wes Westrum, Monte Irvin, Hank Thompson, Johnny Antonelli and Hoyt Wilhelm and of course Willie Mays.

I remember the days of Willie ..... Mickey ..... and the Duke and one of the fondest memories I have as a kid was the smell of a grass field and walking out to take my outfield position (LF). Almost like yesterday!

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Repped for making me laugh. On the evening of Nov. 1, 2010, I questioned my atheist beliefs for a few moments but then decided that karma was finally paying me back for all my years of suffering.