• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Pats penalty for deflategate.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 490.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lead football, one season. No bitching about the neurological consequences.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets keep in mind here also that the Consulting group "Exponent Consulting" also has a "conclusion" that tobacco doesn't cause cancer......asbestos isn't bad for workers and there's no harm in dumping toxic waste in the Amazon Rain Forest.
I'm not one for mob mentality.

But I think there is little debate that TB lied here. That will over shadow his legacy and talent. And I'm sad for the game as well as for him. Bad decision to lie.

I'm ambivalent about the 'deflated balls'

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not one for mob mentality.

But I think there is little debate that TB lied here. That will over shadow his legacy and talent. And I'm sad for the game as well as for him. Bad decision to lie.

I'm ambivalent about the 'deflated balls'

Not saying he potentially did lie (and it is appearing like he did) but we are putting a lot of validity into this Wells Report based off a company that clearly is in the pocket of whoever pays them the most

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying he potentially did lie (and it is appearing like he did) but we are putting a lot of validity into this Wells Report based off a company that clearly is in the pocket of whoever pays them the most
I'm only looking at the lying myself. And the history of repeat offenses from a franchise. Singularly it's easier to dismiss. That is the root for the mob mentality. And of course the Pats winning ways.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The penalty for fielding balls outside the range is $25k in the rule book so the penalty for the actual deed itself won't be substantial. Even if they called it $25k per ball it's still not that major, all things considered.

So the question is will the league throw more at them because of the continuing pattern of skirting the rules and not cooperating in investigations? Anyone who thinks they know for sure what that answer is hasn't followed Goodell's regime around much over the last 4-5 years particularly. And that's part of the problem. No uniformity of justice. Lots of creating things as they go.

Going to be a fun next few days as we wait for whatever word comes out from their offices.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M and M were comparing this to Rice using stick'em but when the footballs involved you essentially effect any of the players on the field that could touch the ball and on top of it the QB touches it the most giving him an advantage. I wouldn't dumb down the effect of the deflation that some of you are doing because of this....

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also believe that the penalty could be a lot higher because the league needs to have a deterrent from anyone crossing the line again. A slap on the hand will basically give everyone a green light to push the envelope even higher. The league I'm sure would like to nip this in the bud...

They should also just make everyone use the same footballs...they did this with the kicking ball. No advantage or disadvantage for anyone done deal. If your hand is too small to grip a football then too bad. Go play tennis or something.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady and Bellichock perma-banned from the NFL for life
Patriots fined $1 trillion
"Ball boys" to death row

They start a dynasty in the CFL and are legends (like Marbury in China).
They even get statues of them holding hands with UGG boots on

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
over inflate the balls to 15 pounds all season for Brady

Thumper

The "winners" won't let me post.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think it will be? I know most feel it will be a slap on the wrist. I don't. The NFL has taken it sweet time investigating this. Most think it is because they think the NFL didn't want to take away from the SB or draft. I think it's because Goodell is about about to lay the hammer on the Pats and wanted to cross his Ts and dot his i.
Goodell is getting ready to take away Krafts clout in the league. With good reason, Kraft has been using his position has pay master to lead Goodell around by his nose, but this time he over stepped. Brady out right cheated. He pressured the equipment folks to actually let air out of ball after they were checked. That's pretty damning and then Kraft has the balls to complain in public?

The hammer is coming down.

Brady suspended for the year.
Pats lose a first round draft picked and are fined.
Kraft gets kicked off the committee that decides Goodell pay.

Can't the Pats be relegated?

To either Canadian Football League or Arena Football league?

Thanks.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if there is no definite "yes Brady did it" evidence there is enough. The same way they can do their own investigations on assault charges whether the player was convicted or not.

A lot of people seem to think this just means nothing. "Deflating the balls isn’t a big deal. They still would have beaten the Colts had they not done it." But regardless of all of these excuses the bottom line is that he cheated. Not only that but your precious QB spent an hour on the phone with the maintenance guy the day after the story came out, he refused to cooperate with the investigation by allowing them to see his phone and emails and then your amazing owner declined to let the maintenance guy be interviewed a second time. If he really did nothing not only would he be more open and cooperate but his owner would fully cooperate as well.

Why doesn’t Yee explain why his client wouldn’t give his phone and email up? But he has strong words for the "poor" way the investigation was run. The fact of the matter is that not only should Brady be punished, but so should the organization and the Head Coach. They need to learn that they aren’t untouchable.

They got a slap on the wrist for Spygate while the Saints got destroyed for Bounty Gate.

Like the commissioner has stated before "ignorance" is not an excuse. If this were the first incident under this group the punishment may be smaller. I think the commissioner’s job is on the line with his decision. If he takes this lightly it could hurt the integrity of the game.

Brady deserves a 2-4 game suspension. Belichick should get a 1 year suspension much like Payton got because he is the HC and "ignorance is no excuse". And the great and powerful Patriots organization should lose draft picks. They should also fire the two maintenance guys even though they were more than likely being told to do this by the QB. And the NFL needs to start looking at Kraft being forced to sell for fostering this legacy of cheating.

It doesn’t matter how little or big the event may seem. It was cheating and it was the umpteenth time in the Brady/Belichick regime. The NFL needs to come down on them hard!

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if there is no definite "yes Brady did it" evidence there is enough. The same way they can do their own investigations on assault charges whether the player was convicted or not.

A lot of people seem to think this just means nothing. "Deflating the balls isn’t a big deal. They still would have beaten the Colts had they not done it." But regardless of all of these excuses the bottom line is that he cheated. Not only that but your precious QB spent an hour on the phone with the maintenance guy the day after the story came out, he refused to cooperate with the investigation by allowing them to see his phone and emails and then your amazing owner declined to let the maintenance guy be interviewed a second time. If he really did nothing not only would he be more open and cooperate but his owner would fully cooperate as well.

Why doesn’t Yee explain why his client wouldn’t give his phone and email up? But he has strong words for the "poor" way the investigation was run. The fact of the matter is that not only should Brady be punished, but so should the organization and the Head Coach. They need to learn that they aren’t untouchable.

They got a slap on the wrist for Spygate while the Saints got destroyed for Bounty Gate.

Like the commissioner has stated before "ignorance" is not an excuse. If this were the first incident under this group the punishment may be smaller. I think the commissioner’s job is on the line with his decision. If he takes this lightly it could hurt the integrity of the game.

Brady deserves a 2-4 game suspension. Belichick should get a 1 year suspension much like Payton got because he is the HC and "ignorance is no excuse". And the great and powerful Patriots organization should lose draft picks. They should also fire the two maintenance guys even though they were more than likely being told to do this by the QB. And the NFL needs to start looking at Kraft being forced to sell for fostering this legacy of cheating.

It doesn’t matter how little or big the event may seem. It was cheating and it was the umpteenth time in the Brady/Belichick regime. The NFL needs to come down on them hard!

Did not read.

Brady still GOAT

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't unheard of though...Look at the Saints situation in they found that Payton had no knowledge of the situation but because he is the head coach he is still held responsible for what those he is in charge of do. They suspended him for a year. So again not completely unheard of.

Also the $25,000 fine for the deflated footballs is not really going to be the big issue when it comes to the penalty. The rule itself is more if a team is found to have deflated or inflated footballs this is the penalty. It says nothing about if a team is deliberately doing this. Throw in then the fact that there was a bribe paid, players and faculty lying to the NFL of what they were doing, and the fact that Brady himself tried to hinder the investigation.

I can see your point. However, I think these issues are at complete ends of the spectrum. One dealt with players int hurting other, and one was PSI in footballs. You are right, it ultimately comes down to the HC. I am very curious though, how many HC do you think actually worry about the PSI in footballs before the game? There seems to be so much more going on.

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he doesn't. If he wanted this to go "quietly" he would have prevented the investigation to begin with

See, I don't think so, because if the equipment guys' texts and whatnot came out after Goodell said there's nothing to warrant an investigation, it would have looked even (arguably) worse than the NFL's handling of the Ray Rice deal. I think he had to do SOMETHING, but will try to minimize damage now. Imagine the coverage if Brady is suspended for the first game of the year, the NFL's "highlight" piece. But, I really dunno, we're all guessing here.:noidea:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Aren't you being just a little overly dramatic here?

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it will be worse than falcons penalty . kraft maybe susp for some games draft picks and brady susp

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hammer is coming down. I'd be real disappointed if it doesn't. Tampering with equipment, lying to try to cover it up, refusing to cooperate with the investigation, by not sharing texts and a Email that pertain to the matter, trying to smear the investigation .
Anything short of a harsh punishment just shows that a owner who decides on what the commish makes is pulling the strings here.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As Shannon Sharpe puts it, there is no way that an equipment manager in the NFL does anything with the equipment without the express knowledge and permission of the player, even if it's just changing the socks. There whole job is getting the equipment exactly how the players want the equipment.

As for Belichek - again, ignorance is not a defense. If he didn't know, he should have known and should be looked upon as if he did know.

This is a pretty good video, and I also agree with his punishment ideas as well.