• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 5,000 Posts Thread for a 2017 Flyers Stanley Cup

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Si it seems that we continue to struggle against the Devils for whatever reason? It's unreal.
Really,they're playing even lower than the level of their competition.

Just incredible at the lack of urgency? Any chance they had was just lost tonight, that and Mason may be done for the year.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I
Just incredible at the lack of urgency? Any chance they had was just lost tonight, that and Mason may be done for the year.
It's unacceptable. Somebody has to be held responsible for the reasons why this team collapsed. Should Haks be held accountable? I just don't see the higher priced vets performing and leading by example?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I

It's unacceptable. Somebody has to be held responsible for the reasons why this team collapsed. Should Haks be held accountable? I just don't see the higher priced vets performing and leading by example?

He def should for some of the bonehead moves he's made. Not saying we win this game but he should have started Neuvy, Mason played great last night and is 0-8-0 lifetime against NJ? Bad move in my opinion.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I

Giroux- 1 shot
Voracek-0 shots

Schenn- 2 shots
Simmonds- 2 shots

Disgraceful

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giroux- 1 shot
Voracek-0 shots

Schenn- 2 shots
Simmonds- 2 shots

Disgraceful
Exactly my point. I think Hextall really needs to look very deeply this offseason and determine if shopping some of these guys is best for the future? At this point I don't think Giroux is untouchable. If the right trade comes up, he has to seriously consider, no?

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly my point. I think Hextall really needs to look very deeply this offseason and determine if shopping some of these guys is best for the future? At this point I don't think Giroux is untouchable. If the right trade comes up, he has to seriously consider, no?

Right now,the only guy I'd keep is Simmonds,and a major shakeup is in order.
Hakstols system is good for shit,just like he is IMO
.He should be working at a goddamn funeral home ,with his monotone personality.

His hiring was Hextalls' biggest mistake to date IMO

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfortunate part is Giroux hasn't been stellar this year. not sure what his worth would be, but if it was a good one I;d be down for it.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who do you go after though? You would need to bring in someone who could teach quickly because with the new youth movement I think we can be contending in two years under the right system.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, here's how I think they're looking at it. Hakstol's system is intended to be an aggressive forechecking 2-1-2 system, which is pretty similar to what the majority of the top teams play. Clearly, the Flyers don't have the talent to play that system at the moment. The D is weak, forcing the forwards to play more conservatively because of the regular breakdowns that are occurring. And, when the breakdowns do occur, Mason and Neuvirth have not come up with the clutch save frequently enough. Also, the Flyers have basically gotten NOTHING in terms of offense from their bottom 2 lines, meaning opposing teams can key defensively on the Flyers one, sometimes 2 good lines. Now, the Flyers can do one of 2 things - 1) Hakstol can change his system to better adapt to the Flyers current talent. In this scenario, the Flyers likely become more competitive in the short-term but are unlikely to ever reach Cup contender status playing that style. Or, 2) they can remain patient with Hakstol's system recognizing that they don't have the talent to play it now but work on building up that talent level. In this scenario, the Flyers shit the bed as often as not in the short-term, but if/when Hextall is able to increase the overall talent level they will have a system in place that is capable of winning the Cup.

At least, I believe that's the current thought process.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's the end of it. I can't fucking goddamn believe it either. We had everything go perfectly for us and all we had to do was beat NJ. Islanders, Panthers, Lightning and Bruins all lost in regulation.

NJ Devils against rest of the Nhl:

2.19 goals for per game

2.97 goals against per game

NJ Devils against the Flyers:

4.67 goals for per game

1.00 goals against per game

3-0-0 against us and 23-31-12 against everyone else

We left guys wide open in the slot and right in front of our net all game long. Now Mase has probably pulled a groin and is done for the season too. I'm sorry, but I would've rested Mase for this one, especially given his record against them. We still probably lose, but at least he then wouldn't be hurt.

I literally don't have fucking words. Alright, maybe I do. Throttled three times by the worst team in the conference. It's absolutely embarrassing.

I think it's fair to actually say that not beating the fucking NJ Devils is why we're going to miss the playoffs this season....LOL We still play them twice more, so that's likely 0-5-0 against one team.

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I

The high priced vets (Gee) do not lead by example on this team ask the last 3 coaches that they went through with the same core.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lets not forget about the Weiss signing

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunate part is Giroux hasn't been stellar this year. not sure what his worth would be, but if it was a good one I;d be down for it.
With his contract and diminished skill set he isn't going anywhere. What we have to do is pray the wrist surgery from last summer is why he isn't playing well.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, here's how I think they're looking at it. Hakstol's system is intended to be an aggressive forechecking 2-1-2 system, which is pretty similar to what the majority of the top teams play. Clearly, the Flyers don't have the talent to play that system at the moment. The D is weak, forcing the forwards to play more conservatively because of the regular breakdowns that are occurring. And, when the breakdowns do occur, Mason and Neuvirth have not come up with the clutch save frequently enough. Also, the Flyers have basically gotten NOTHING in terms of offense from their bottom 2 lines, meaning opposing teams can key defensively on the Flyers one, sometimes 2 good lines. Now, the Flyers can do one of 2 things - 1) Hakstol can change his system to better adapt to the Flyers current talent. In this scenario, the Flyers likely become more competitive in the short-term but are unlikely to ever reach Cup contender status playing that style. Or, 2) they can remain patient with Hakstol's system recognizing that they don't have the talent to play it now but work on building up that talent level. In this scenario, the Flyers shit the bed as often as not in the short-term, but if/when Hextall is able to increase the overall talent level they will have a system in place that is capable of winning the Cup.

At least, I believe that's the current thought process.
Keep the system and blow this team up.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's the end of it. I can't fucking goddamn believe it either. We had everything go perfectly for us and all we had to do was beat NJ. Islanders, Panthers, Lightning and Bruins all lost in regulation.

NJ Devils against rest of the Nhl:

2.19 goals for per game

2.97 goals against per game

NJ Devils against the Flyers:

4.67 goals for per game

1.00 goals against per game

3-0-0 against us and 23-31-12 against everyone else

We left guys wide open in the slot and right in front of our net all game long. Now Mase has probably pulled a groin and is done for the season too. I'm sorry, but I would've rested Mase for this one, especially given his record against them. We still probably lose, but at least he then wouldn't be hurt.

I literally don't have fucking words. Alright, maybe I do. Throttled three times by the worst team in the conference. It's absolutely embarrassing.

I think it's fair to actually say that not beating the fucking NJ Devils is why we're going to miss the playoffs this season....LOL We still play them twice more, so that's likely 0-5-0 against one team.
Just embarrassing how we played them all season. Guys never even took pride on playing them tough last night. We played a bunch of minor leaguers and a back up goalie and still did nothing. FRUSTRATED TO THE MAX !

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He def should for some of the bonehead moves he's made. Not saying we win this game but he should have started Neuvy, Mason played great last night and is 0-8-0 lifetime against NJ? Bad move in my opinion.
How do we even know who to start ever both of these goalies get hurt if the wind blows.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing..from someone who has been out of the loop for two days. This Flyers team has sucked against the Devils before Hakstol. By this team, I mean this core. So...if they sucked then and they suck now and you have changed the coach....could it be the players aren't capable of or simply don't want to play the way you have to play to beat the Devils? And how/why do the Flyers ALWAYS come out flat against the Devils? Again, this goes back to Hitch.

Hakstol has made some moves that make me scratch my head. He has also made some very clever coaching adjustments that he hasn't gotten enough credit for. The Asst coaching has been slipping/not adjusting in their roles and frankly the core of this team does not play well 5 on 5 and doesn't play well enough on the PP to justify that existence.