• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 5,000 Posts Thread for a 2017 Flyers Stanley Cup

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing..from someone who has been out of the loop for two days. This Flyers team has sucked against the Devils before Hakstol. By this team, I mean this core. So...if they sucked then and they suck now and you have changed the coach....could it be the players aren't capable of or simply don't want to play the way you have to play to beat the Devils? And how/why do the Flyers ALWAYS come out flat against the Devils? Again, this goes back to Hitch.

Hakstol has made some moves that make me scratch my head. He has also made some very clever coaching adjustments that he hasn't gotten enough credit for. The Asst coaching has been slipping/not adjusting in their roles and frankly the core of this team does not play well 5 on 5 and doesn't play well enough on the PP to justify that existence.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With his contract and diminished skill set he isn't going anywhere. What we have to do is pray the wrist surgery from last summer is why he isn't playing well.
That would be nice, hopefully next year we get back a solid player.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do we even know who to start ever both of these goalies get hurt if the wind blows.

That's why we need a true number one goalie, we all agree Mason or Nuevirth isn't going to get us to the cup. I'm hoping the Nuevy signing means Mase is gone and we can start letting some of the youth pay and see what we truly have at that position.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's officially over after last night. That was the final nail in our coffin, for me. We play the Devils twice more as I said earlier. We would probably have to win all 10 of our other games to make it in...LOL

Three games left against NJ was supposed to be a blessing. Now it's turned into a nightmare.
I still cant believe after the Pens game that's what they came out and did last night.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AWAZ read this

read! thanks for quoting yourself haha, missed it the first time.

That seems like kind of a long shot to me, though GMGM had Neuvy in Washington, so maybe there's something there. Just seems like an odd move when there's going to be so many goalies available. I honestly don't think the Knights will think twice about taking a Flyers goalie, regardless of who it is they can take. Why would they? If they want a starter, take Fleury (or Murray). If they want a backup, there's tons of young guys to take, why take Neuvy?

Maybe the Flyers are playing it conservatively. If you sign Neuvy and he gets taken, cool, that solves that problem. If he doesn't get taken, 2.5 isn't so bad for a backup and you find a starter in free agency (or trade, or it's Stolarz, but i doubt that). Maybe Mason ends up being the starter next year, maybe not, see what the market is. Rather play risky with your backup than with your starter? Even when it's a low risk situation?

My issue with that plan is you're locked in at backup goalie in that case and so it can't be Stolarz. Which is a problem on two fronts. It's where he should be next year, and you have a problem in the AHL where it should be Lyon and Felix Sandstrom assuming he comes over. If you're trying to go low risk at the backup spot, why not resign Lyon instead of Neuvy?

Grand scheme of things, i don't think that's a killer contract either way. My biggest issue with Neuvy was him starting the Toronto game. That was a season ending decision IMO.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why we need a true number one goalie, we all agree Mason or Nuevirth isn't going to get us to the cup. I'm hoping the Nuevy signing means Mase is gone and we can start letting some of the youth pay and see what we truly have at that position.
Hopefully Neuvy gets taken by an expansion team Mason signs a one year deal and we hand over the reigns to Stolarz and Mase backs up one year . Stolarz may as well learn because we all know we arent winning a cup with our current goalies.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
read! thanks for quoting yourself haha, missed it the first time.

That seems like kind of a long shot to me, though GMGM had Neuvy in Washington, so maybe there's something there. Just seems like an odd move when there's going to be so many goalies available. I honestly don't think the Knights will think twice about taking a Flyers goalie, regardless of who it is they can take. Why would they? If they want a starter, take Fleury (or Murray). If they want a backup, there's tons of young guys to take, why take Neuvy?

Maybe the Flyers are playing it conservatively. If you sign Neuvy and he gets taken, cool, that solves that problem. If he doesn't get taken, 2.5 isn't so bad for a backup and you find a starter in free agency (or trade, or it's Stolarz, but i doubt that). Maybe Mason ends up being the starter next year, maybe not, see what the market is. Rather play risky with your backup than with your starter? Even when it's a low risk situation?

My issue with that plan is you're locked in at backup goalie in that case and so it can't be Stolarz. Which is a problem on two fronts. It's where he should be next year, and you have a problem in the AHL where it should be Lyon and Felix Sandstrom assuming he comes over. If you're trying to go low risk at the backup spot, why not resign Lyon instead of Neuvy?

Grand scheme of things, i don't think that's a killer contract either way. My biggest issue with Neuvy was him starting the Toronto game. That was a season ending decision IMO.
There has got to be a better plan to get a solid goaltender in place until our young goalies come in and takeover

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
keep-calm-and-wait-for-it-31.jpg

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has got to be a better plan to get a solid goaltender in place until our young goalies come in and takeover

There is but if you go after a stud you're wasting what you're trying to accomplish. Mason would be a solid back up but would he do that? I wouldn't if I thought I had what it took to be a starter, I say just roll the dice and give the young guys time and see how they do. At this point everyone still feels like a 2 year plan to start seriously competing.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is but if you go after a stud you're wasting what you're trying to accomplish. Mason would be a solid back up but would he do that? I wouldn't if I thought I had what it took to be a starter, I say just roll the dice and give the young guys time and see how they do. At this point everyone still feels like a 2 year plan to start seriously competing.

I think the biggest thing, and we have to wait and see, is the expansion draft.
I heard, as @lasgop8 and I spoke of before, Mason may get a one year deal....only to be left unprotected in the draft. And you know there is going to be a big shake up with this draft. They want LV to come in and be competitive right off the bat.....

Now the 2 year plan, may be happening next year. With all these young guys coming up next year, after the draft because we damn sure don't want to lose them!!!!

We shouldn't of been there last year, but we were. We started out like we belonged this year, but we don't....And getting rid of Hakstol isn't going to solve nothing. You have to hang on to a coach for a few, let his system take hold. How many times did it look like this team got it, but next game didn't know a puck from a coaster....(the last two games). It flat out sucks, but it's gonna take time. It's easy to play monday morning QB, These guys make a living doing this shit, so we have to believe in them.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest thing, and we have to wait and see, is the expansion draft.
I heard, as @lasgop8 and I spoke of before, Mason may get a one year deal....only to be left unprotected in the draft. And you know there is going to be a big shake up with this draft. They want LV to come in and be competitive right off the bat.....

Now the 2 year plan, may be happening next year. With all these young guys coming up next year, after the draft because we damn sure don't want to lose them!!!!

We shouldn't of been there last year, but we were. We started out like we belonged this year, but we don't....And getting rid of Hakstol isn't going to solve nothing. You have to hang on to a coach for a few, let his system take hold. How many times did it look like this team got it, but next game didn't know a puck from a coaster....(the last two games). It flat out sucks, but it's gonna take time. It's easy to play monday morning QB, These guys make a living doing this shit, so we have to believe in them.

I agree with everything you stated. Problem is Flyer fans aren't patient lol. It really seems at times that it is just one adjustment but it never seems to be a permanent fix. Hopefully we plug holes with youth and scoring talent. As Las said, shit ton of talent on the college level to.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything you stated. Problem is Flyer fans aren't patient lol. It really seems at times that it is just one adjustment but it never seems to be a permanent fix. Hopefully we plug holes with youth and scoring talent. As Las said, shit ton of talent on the college level to.

Hell yeah there is.....

And you know Hexy will grab them up come hook or crook!!!!

But even with trades, I know everyone had high hopes with the trades this year....
But why bring in someone and put him with a dysfunctional group like this, it could make it a bad situation for that guy....Like Filppula....good guy, but he won't be around long.....

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say one thing that unequivocally, and beyond a shadow of a doubt that I thought sucked dog balls last night.....

Was the way the guys allowed our goalies to get dumped and beat up last night. I know at one point Simmer was bitching at Hall, but you already lost the game, and your focus....Knock his fuckin teeth clean out of his damn cock-holster!!!! Give these fuckers a real toothless grin!!!!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, will someone put a man on Kyle Palmieri!? The guy had two points against us and scored two goals against the Pens last night. He has 5 goals on 14 shots in his last 3 games.

How are the Devils suddenly an offensive juggernaut?!? They've scored 14 goals in three games, but only beat us...Lol

This is a team mind you that had recently been shut out in 3 of 4 games.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect to get smacked around on this upcoming road trip. Three games in four days against Minnesota, Columbus and Pittsburgh. One of them a 2 pm start time. I hate to say it, but I feel like there's nothing left to play for. Maybe just to salvage a winning record on the season or try to impress the coach/GM so you're not traded away in the offseason.

I am extremely disappointed with the veterans on this team that have been with us 4-5 seasons or more. That's Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, Schenn, Read, Raffl and Mason. I mean, this is really about 42% of our starting roster right there that are just not getting the job done at even strength. It's terrible. I've never personally seen one of our teams have +/- numbers this bad across the board.

Then look at our power play. We have 30 goals from Simmonds/Schenn and 19 goals from everyone else...Lol Virtually two guys are doing all of the scoring. It's not good enough. Giroux, Voracek, Ghost, Couturier, Streit and MDZ should all have more power play goals. Somehow Provorov, Couturier and MDZ all have zero man advantage goals. You fucking kidding me!? I know they've mostly been second unit guys, but that's insane.

Streit had 8 power play points for us in 49 games. He already has 4 power play points for Pitt in just 8 games...Lol These are major league WTF type numbers here.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I look into this, the more disgusted I am. The Devils had 7 rookies dressed Thursday night and we let them score 6 on us. Meanwhile, we had 15 veterans dressed. It's just absolutely fucking unacceptable.

Here's the recipe on how to beat our team right now. Go right to the slot or the front of our net uncovered, take a pass or a rebound and score goals with ease. Nobody is going to check you.

I don't know what to say. Maybe we need to bring up the entire Phantom roster and we'll be better. Younger appears to be better in the Nhl at this stage.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exhibit A:

Look at the fucking Leafs. They are 6th in goals, 1st in power play and 9th in penalty kill. This team is sitting in the last wild card spot in the East and they have been dressing at least 7 or 8 rookies all season long. They just crushed Tampa 5-0 and could easily overtake Boston in the Atlantic.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When all is said and done, and the word comes down that Giroux has been injured since the World Cup of Hockey, the next question will be....should that change the long term plan? How much dos that impact the evaluation of the season?

Personally....I don't care. If the team is THAT dependent on Giroux then clearly there are deep deep issues.