• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 5,000 Posts for a Flyers Stanley Cup in 2016 Thread!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fortunately there will be a few roster spots next year. Provorov and Konecny and maybe Morin. Sanheim with a year in the AHL.
I cant wait for the young mobile D its something we haven't had in a long time.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant wait for the young mobile D its something we haven't had in a long time.
The good thing with Provorov is that he gets talked up for play at both ends. Sanheim needs to work on defense and Morin on offense.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am liking the continuing improvement of Provorov. Keep adding the young, talented pieces to this developing team!

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get the rule because it keeps from everyone bailing out of the game but I think suspending them for the following game after the break is dumb especially if that player is healthy enough to play that game - maybe the player should donate a portion of his salary to a charity of his choice or at the very least should be required to attend the festivities

I think that's why Jagr didn't bail out because he didn't want to hurt his team by missing the following game after the break but at the same time he knew that if he had the option of staying in SoFlo and training during the break without having the consequence of sitting out a game, then he would have done it in a hot second

For all the crap the NHL ASG gets, it's not even close to Pro Bowl bad - at least the majority of the superstars are attending and it's actually worth something(even if it's just monetary)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the rule because it keeps from everyone bailing out of the game but I think suspending them for the following game after the break is dumb especially if that player is healthy enough to play that game - maybe the player should donate a portion of his salary to a charity of his choice or at the very least should be required to attend the festivities

I think that's why Jagr didn't bail out because he didn't want to hurt his team by missing the following game after the break but at the same time he knew that if he had the option of staying in SoFlo and training during the break without having the consequence of sitting out a game, then he would have done it in a hot second

For all the crap the NHL ASG gets, it's not even close to Pro Bowl bad - at least the majority of the superstars are attending and it's actually worth something(even if it's just monetary)
Having him miss the game after isn't fair to everyone else in the playoff race which is why this is a dumb rule. I like your idea of donating money to charity much better.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I like the rule that they get suspended. It's supposed to be an honor, and it's not like the ASG is that taxing of an event. Go out there and skate around at 75% speed and don't hit anybody, try to score some cool goals. And even worse, you're showing up the fans that voted for you to be in the all-star game. I actually think its pretty classless from Ovechkin (and maybe Toews, though I don't know his story as well) to not play in the ASG. Which is disappointing because I usually really like OV.

Plus, them having to sit out a game hurts the team, but if you think playing in the all star game prevents a break for those players, the ones going are actually the ones hurting their team. So you have to even it out by suspending the best players for a game if they're not willing to participate. Then both types of teams get some level of 'punishment'.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does suspending a player whose team 14 points out in front of anyone else hurt the team? 1 game is meaningless to the Caps right now. If it was a playoff game that's a different story but its a regular season game which may hurt more teams fighting for a playoff spot than hurting the Caps.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I like the rule that they get suspended. It's supposed to be an honor, and it's not like the ASG is that taxing of an event. Go out there and skate around at 75% speed and don't hit anybody, try to score some cool goals. And even worse, you're showing up the fans that voted for you to be in the all-star game. I actually think its pretty classless from Ovechkin (and maybe Toews, though I don't know his story as well) to not play in the ASG. Which is disappointing because I usually really like OV.

Plus, them having to sit out a game hurts the team, but if you think playing in the all star game prevents a break for those players, the ones going are actually the ones hurting their team. So you have to even it out by suspending the best players for a game if they're not willing to participate. Then both types of teams get some level of 'punishment'.

Toews was apparently battling the flu and his ice time was reduced in the last game(albeit it was a blowout)

I think the OV thing might be different in the sense that yeah, he is thinking about his team and I think that's okay because people are going to still complain regardless of what he does

I don't think these players are trying to show up anyone by not participating - people knock on those who aren't team-first but then when they do something that may be team-first(like what OV is doing) they still complain that they're showing up the fans for not participating in the event - players are ingrained to be team-first, especially in hockey and that's why sometimes players choose not to participate in an event like that because in a grueling season, a complete week off could really recharge them - it's not necessarily the actual game but the travel and all the events that take place - by the time all of that is over with, some players are probably pooped out from all the events more so than the actual game

One of the problems(until this year to an extent) is that there's not really anything to play for in the game as far as money or home-field advantage - that's why so many pull out of the Pro Bowl - hockey and football's all-star games are in the two most physical sports and you see it more often in those two sports than in baseball and basketball - in baseball and basketball, it's easier to go 75% and not get injured than it is in those other two sports - of course injuries can happen to anyone at any time but in hockey and football, you can still go 75% and be risked with possible injuries - and the stress that players put on their bodies in those two sports are higher as well

Generally, I do think if the player is healthy enough to show up and play then he should and if he's not feeling great, then it's okay to go to the coach and tell them to maybe reduce the ice time and put him in specific situations, besides it's only an exhibition so it wouldn't be much of an issue

My main thing is that if so many people are going to complain about the ASG, then why should they be complaining when a player decides to sit out the game? People can't have it both ways

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the suspension. Fuck OV for not participating, especially when he was a team captain. It seems like he could've clearly played without serious issue. He has 4 of the next 5 days with no games anyway, even if he plays.

Last edited:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHL All Star game pretty entertaining.

Yep finally

John Scott story was cool and the goals he scored weren't cheap-o's either

The final game was great because it was low-scoring and in an ASG that is rare - the players actually played with a purpose so that was nice

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How often do you guys go on NHL.com? They changed the whole layout of the site - I guess it will grow on me over time

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost is now four points clear of the next highest scoring rookie defender (Parayko) and he's played in 20 fewer games. Only five rookies altogether have more points. He also now leads all rookies in power play scoring and overtime goals.

It's easy to be extremely optimistic about his current play and potential at the moment, but we may have a kid here who could eventually challenge for the Norris Trophy each and every year. Watching him game after game, can anyone really argue against that idea?

Yes, he occasionally makes defensive mistakes, but he also often recovers from them quickly and his offensive instincts/skills are already elite. Add to that his overall speed and clutch gene and you have a true superstar in the making.

Last edited: