• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 5,000 Posts for a Flyers Stanley Cup in 2016 Thread!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost is now four points clear of the next highest scoring rookie defender (Parayko) and he's played in 20 fewer games. Only five rookies altogether have more points. He also now leads all rookies in power play scoring and overtime goals.

It's easy to be extremely optimistic about his current play and potential at the moment, but we may have a kid here who could eventually challenge for the Norris Trophy each and every year. Watching him game after game, can anyone really argue against that idea?

Yes, he occasionally makes defensive mistakes, but he also often recovers from them quickly and his offensive instincts/skills are already elite. Add to that his overall speed and clutch gene and you have a true superstar in the making.
In Ghost we trust!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Maverick. His explosiveness alone is infectious and helps him overcome his defensive errors as well as his offensive game which is already at a high level. if he continues to develop, I could see that trophy on his mantle nearly every year as you stated.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost is now four points clear of the next highest scoring rookie defender (Parayko) and he's played in 20 fewer games. Only five rookies altogether have more points. He also now leads all rookies in power play scoring and overtime goals.

It's easy to be extremely optimistic about his current play and potential at the moment, but we may have a kid here who could eventually challenge for the Norris Trophy each and every year. Watching him game after game, can anyone really argue against that idea?

Yes, he occasionally makes defensive mistakes, but he also often recovers from them quickly and his offensive instincts/skills are already elite. Add to that his overall speed and clutch gene and you have a true superstar in the making.
I would really like to see them have Kimmo work with him. Kimmo wasn't big but was so good and being in position when playing against bigger players. If Ghost can grow on the defensive end, he will be real special.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Flyers special teams really seem to be coming around these days. I wonder if Hakstol was focused 100% on 5 on 5 play early, hoping the PP would maintain its form from previous years, and that the PK wouldn't get any worse. I wonder if he feels his team has somewhat mastered the 5 on 5 system and now they can put some focus in to the PP and PK.

I guess, I'm wondering how long he thinks it takes for players to grasp a system and excel in it.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Flyers special teams really seem to be coming around these days. I wonder if Hakstol was focused 100% on 5 on 5 play early, hoping the PP would maintain its form from previous years, and that the PK wouldn't get any worse. I wonder if he feels his team has somewhat mastered the 5 on 5 system and now they can put some focus in to the PP and PK.

I guess, I'm wondering how long he thinks it takes for players to grasp a system and excel in it.

As a new coach that's what you have to do - you can't master it all right away - be great at one thing and then the rest takes care of itself

All about habits

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would really like to see them have Kimmo work with him. Kimmo wasn't big but was so good and being in position when playing against bigger players. If Ghost can grow on the defensive end, he will be real special.
THIS!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It would be nice for once to have the team excel in all areas at the same time. Hopefully that started the other night vs. the Habs.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Video: NHL GMs in favor of playoff play-in game?

What would you think of this? I would LOVE a one game playoff(they shouldn't count both teams as playoff teams, only the winner though) for the last wild card spot - it would add intrigue and revenue to the league and it has worked well in baseball

I wouldn't want the three game series though, that's too long and it delays the start of the playoffs - the playoffs are already taxing on players as is and I don't think the PA would accept that - but a one gamer between the 8th and 9th place teams would be good for the league

I think there should be some rules for the one game playoff though - in order for it to happen, the first team out of the playoffs can't be more than two points(equal to one win) behind the last wild card team - I don't think it would be fair to have a wild card game when one team has six more points than the other, but if the difference between the two teams is just two points or less, then I think that's totally fair

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers vs Islanders make up game April 10th in Brooklyn Last game of the year.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The playoff race is extremely tight right now in the east. We've just put distance on Montreal, Ottawa and Carolina. We are only four points out of a playoff spot with games in hand on the Devils, Red Wings and Bruins.

However, we're also only seven points back of the Rangers with two games in hand for the guaranteed second seed in our division. That's a big deal to me.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Video: NHL GMs in favor of playoff play-in game?

What would you think of this? I would LOVE a one game playoff(they shouldn't count both teams as playoff teams, only the winner though) for the last wild card spot - it would add intrigue and revenue to the league and it has worked well in baseball

I wouldn't want the three game series though, that's too long and it delays the start of the playoffs - the playoffs are already taxing on players as is and I don't think the PA would accept that - but a one gamer between the 8th and 9th place teams would be good for the league

I think there should be some rules for the one game playoff though - in order for it to happen, the first team out of the playoffs can't be more than two points(equal to one win) behind the last wild card team - I don't think it would be fair to have a wild card game when one team has six more points than the other, but if the difference between the two teams is just two points or less, then I think that's totally fair

I don't particularly like the idea of a play-in game. Sure it's exciting, but I don't like the idea of having to play a single game at the end of the season to determine your playoff spot after having earned it for 82 games. I think the same thing about baseball, if you can't prove it over 82-162 games, you don't deserve a 1 game shot to eliminate someone who did prove it. JMO

I like the way the Premier League does the final game of the regular season though. Have everyone play at the same time on the same day. Then you're bouncing back and forth to see who gets in, who's keeping your team out, etc. Makes for an exciting last day.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Saturday and Capitals Sunday. Back to back tough games. Time to stand up and move upwards!

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't particularly like the idea of a play-in game. Sure it's exciting, but I don't like the idea of having to play a single game at the end of the season to determine your playoff spot after having earned it for 82 games. I think the same thing about baseball, if you can't prove it over 82-162 games, you don't deserve a 1 game shot to eliminate someone who did prove it. JMO

I like the way the Premier League does the final game of the regular season though. Have everyone play at the same time on the same day. Then you're bouncing back and forth to see who gets in, who's keeping your team out, etc. Makes for an exciting last day.

I think the difference in baseball is that there are less playoff teams so it makes more sense there

I agree in the sense that if you can't prove over 82-162 games that you are a playoff team, then you shouldn't be in, but I think that especially if they are tied in points, it would be kinda crappy to miss out on a tiebreaker

Maybe at the beginning if they do implement this game that it's only if the two teams are tied(Columbus missed the playoffs in the shortened season because of a tiebreaker and that's the one I vividly remember) - that would be a good start and then see how it's viewed by the fans and go from there

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the difference in baseball is that there are less playoff teams so it makes more sense there

I agree in the sense that if you can't prove over 82-162 games that you are a playoff team, then you shouldn't be in, but I think that especially if they are tied in points, it would be kinda crappy to miss out on a tiebreaker

Maybe at the beginning if they do implement this game that it's only if the two teams are tied(Columbus missed the playoffs in the shortened season because of a tiebreaker and that's the one I vividly remember) - that would be a good start and then see how it's viewed by the fans and go from there

Agree 100% with having one for tied teams though. I'd support that for sure. Just don't like the possibility of Team X having 98 points and having to beat Team Y to get in a single elimination game when Team Y only had 90 points.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100% with having one for tied teams though. I'd support that for sure. Just don't like the possibility of Team X having 98 points and having to beat Team Y to get in a single elimination game when Team Y only had 90 points.

Oh yeah I agree! That's why I said the limit could be two points(if Team X has 98 and Y has 96)

I also think it would have to go through the PA before anything like that happens

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pulling for Peyton to go out on top tonight but don't think the Panthers are going to be stopped

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the results of this weekend and the lack of movement in the standings in a positive manner....how much longer until Hextall becomes a seller?

Mark Streit really doesn't look like the same offensive player. His shot, compared to MDZ and Ghost just doesn't seem to have that extra little something to get through. I still think the right team would offer at least a couple of picks (most likely a confirmed and a conditional). Not 1's, but maybe a 2nd and a 3rd in 17.

Gagner has shown some offensive flashes and has been better defensively than advertised. He could be an attractive rental for someone looking to pick up offense.

Medvedev could add size, and some offensive pop to the blue line in the right system.