• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 5,000 Posts for a Flyers Stanley Cup in 2016 Thread!

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the results of this weekend and the lack of movement in the standings in a positive manner....how much longer until Hextall becomes a seller?

Mark Streit really doesn't look like the same offensive player. His shot, compared to MDZ and Ghost just doesn't seem to have that extra little something to get through. I still think the right team would offer at least a couple of picks (most likely a confirmed and a conditional). Not 1's, but maybe a 2nd and a 3rd in 17.

Gagner has shown some offensive flashes and has been better defensively than advertised. He could be an attractive rental for someone looking to pick up offense.

Medvedev could add size, and some offensive pop to the blue line in the right system.

Agreed with all of this - there are some pieces that have potentially good value for this team

I would still shoot for a first round pick for Mark Streit because half of the league is looking for defense and someone will get desperate when it's all set and done

Sam Gagner would be a nice fit for a number of teams that need some depth up the middle

Evgeny Medvedev - same thing, good fit for teams that need depth on defense

I heard a rumor(one that I don't really believe has any merit or legs to it) about Mark Streit for Loui Eriksson - makes no sense at all unless they would then try to flip Loui Eriksson because they believe they could get better value for him than Mark Streit

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As difficult as this loss was to take, it was actually more encouraging to me than discouraging.

The Caps have the best home record in the Nhl at a ridiculous 20-4-2. If we can go into their building and get a win before the break and still hang with them now despite key injuries, we can pretty much win a game anywhere against anyone. That has to produce an absolute ton of confidence for our group moving forward.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flyers have 10 more games before the trade deadline on the 29th. They need to play much better than .500 hockey for Hextall to consider not being a seller at that point. They probably need to go at least 7-3, roughly 14 points+. It's doable when you look at the schedule, but this team hasn't been able to maintain the consistency necessary due to an overall lack of depth.

Philadelphia Flyers 2016 Schedule - Flyers Home and Away - ESPN

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This weekends games were a major disappointment! Playing prevent D vs. the Rags was bad hockey at it's finest and Hakstol should put that one in his memory banks for the future. Terrible call by him. We needed those 2 points and it was a big point swing. Cant afford stuff like that at this time.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As difficult as this loss was to take, it was actually more encouraging to me than discouraging.

The Caps have the best home record in the Nhl at a ridiculous 20-4-2. If we can go into their building and get a win before the break and still hang with them now despite key injuries, we can pretty much win a game anywhere against anyone. That has to produce an absolute ton of confidence for our group moving forward.
This is why the 2 points vs. the Rags was imperative and we just gave it to them.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flyers have 10 more games before the trade deadline on the 29th. They need to play much better than .500 hockey for Hextall to consider not being a seller at that point. They probably need to go at least 7-3, roughly 14 points+. It's doable when you look at the schedule, but this team hasn't been able to maintain the consistency necessary due to an overall lack of depth.

Philadelphia Flyers 2016 Schedule - Flyers Home and Away - ESPN

How many times have we looked at the schedule and thought that they could win a bunch of games? This team is what they are, a .500 team at best that has the potential to play a great game one night and then come back down to earth the next game - teams that are facing the Flyers coming up are thinking the same thing that they can beat them

I hope Hexy has his mind figured out already with what he's doing - one good stretch this month won't validate where this team is going but one subpar stretch should seal the deal

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times have we looked at the schedule and thought that they could win a bunch of games? This team is what they are, a .500 team at best that has the potential to play a great game one night and then come back down to earth the next game - teams that are facing the Flyers coming up are thinking the same thing that they can beat them

I hope Hexy has his mind figured out already with what he's doing - one good stretch this month won't validate where this team is going but one subpar stretch should seal the deal

I think I've made it clear in previous posts that I agree 100%, but at the end of the day Snider is the REAL boss and at what point can he put enough pressure on Hextall to change his game plan? A strong February absolutely could do that.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I've made it clear in previous posts that I agree 100%, but at the end of the day Snider is the REAL boss and at what point can he put enough pressure on Hextall to change his game plan? A strong February absolutely could do that.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, if that's what you may or may not be thinking

I'm just stating what I said for anyone else who is thinking different

I don't(and hope not) think Hexy would be sidetracked by anyone at this point - he's going to do what he needs to do in order to be successful long term and if he thought Ed Snider would sidetrack him at any point then I'm not sure he would have taken the GM job in the first place

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with you guys, they have to get value for the potential rentals. Anyone on the last year of the deal should be available, regardless of where you are in the standings in a month. Best opportunity to get value for those guys. But if the value isn't there, then keep them and see what kind of run you can make. 5th and 6th round picks aren't vital. But if you can get a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd for any of them, I think you strongly consider it, especially if you don't intend to resign them.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couts getting hurt is a major impact on this team. We are light in top top 6 forwards and top 4 dmen. I think our 2nd line yesterday was Schenn, Gagner and Raffl. The 3rd was Laughton, Read and Cousins. To play that well against the Caps in Washington is pretty surprising. Holtby has lost 2 times at home with his last home loss coming on October 28, 2015.

Anyway it would look like Medvedev and Gagner may be 2 pieces to move at the deadline. Streit has 1 year left so he is not as attractive but if we can get good value, move him. I don't think any of these 3 really currently help the team. Medvedev and Gagner are both UFA's at the end of the season and Ghost has replaced Streit. Streit may still be a better defender, but his salary $5 mill + reflects his PP QB ability. At this point is there really a drop off from Medvedev and Streit to Manning? I don't think so.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the most encouraging part about the last week or so, the Read, Laughton, Raffl line doesn't suck. It's amazing what benching Umberger can do for your depth.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it is proven that we are not a .500 team at best. We're 16-9-4 since November 25th, despite even the various injuries we've had to key players across that time period. That is a playoff type record. The slow start just still has us trailing by a measly four points. We're a pretty good team now with Ghost and everyone healthy, plus Umberger on the bench.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not disagreeing with you at all, if that's what you may or may not be thinking

I'm just stating what I said for anyone else who is thinking different

I don't(and hope not) think Hexy would be sidetracked by anyone at this point - he's going to do what he needs to do in order to be successful long term and if he thought Ed Snider would sidetrack him at any point then I'm not sure he would have taken the GM job in the first place

Wasn't thinking you were disagreeing, just throwing out why I thought there was a chance of Hextall's plan being derailed. :suds:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few big games tonight that could help us out in the playoff race if they don't go to OT and the right teams win.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And btw, I'm not saying we should be buyers instead of sellers at the deadline. I'm saying that we should continue to strive to make the playoffs regardless of whether we trade a couple guys away. Hextall is going to do this in a smart way. We're not going to sell off all available assets and then tank the rest of the season. Quite frankly, that sends the wrong message to the players and the fans.

I don't expect to mortgage the future to attempt to make the playoffs now either, but we can make a run at it with what we have.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost is now in sole possession of 5th in rookie scoring this season and he's operating at a clip of .82 points per game, which is behind only Panarin and McDavid.

That got me thinking. When did we last have a defenseman produce at this rate for a season? I think it was Garry Galley in '93/'94 (70 pts in 81 games). That's before I even started watching hockey. Pretty unreal.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost is now in sole possession of 5th in rookie scoring this season and he's operating at a clip of .82 points per game, which is behind only Panarin and McDavid.

That got me thinking. When did we last have a defenseman produce at this rate for a season? I think it was Garry Galley in '93/'94 (70 pts in 81 games). That's before I even started watching hockey. Pretty unreal.
He is 8 points ahead of the next rookie dman having player 19 fewer games. I did not remember Galley having that many but he did have 62 the year before. I was lucky enough to see Mark Howe whose high with the Flyers was 82 pts. I always considered the succession from Howe to be Desjardins, high of 55, and then Kimmo, high of 44. Over a full season Ghost is on a 67 point pace. That would put him in some pretty impressive company.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is 8 points ahead of the next rookie dman having player 19 fewer games. I did not remember Galley having that many but he did have 62 the year before. I was lucky enough to see Mark Howe whose high with the Flyers was 82 pts. I always considered the succession from Howe to be Desjardins, high of 55, and then Kimmo, high of 44. Over a full season Ghost is on a 67 point pace. That would put him in some pretty impressive company.
This went under the radar but Streit had 52 pts last season.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And btw, I'm not saying we should be buyers instead of sellers at the deadline. I'm saying that we should continue to strive to make the playoffs regardless of whether we trade a couple guys away. Hextall is going to do this in a smart way. We're not going to sell off all available assets and then tank the rest of the season. Quite frankly, that sends the wrong message to the players and the fans.

I don't expect to mortgage the future to attempt to make the playoffs now either, but we can make a run at it with what we have.

I agree with this. Maintain the course of getting younger and faster, which means selling off the dead weight at the trade deadline even if it jeopardizes a chance to make the playoffs. BUT, whatever team remains should absolutely play to win every night.