• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 5,000 Posts for a Flyers Stanley Cup in 2016 Thread!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dominating the Islanders never gets old.

Someone tell me this isn't a playoff team.

One of the most dominant efforts of the season and I think probably the easiest shutout either of our goalies will have all season long.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are four teams between us and a playoff spot, but if we just win our games in hand, we'll find ourselves ahead of all of them and tied with Pittsburgh.

This race is wide open, but we're playing better hockey right now than at least 8 of the 11 teams ahead of us.

We have a chance to play several of those teams this month, so the opportunity to climb the standings is there without question.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer, hopefully not a jinx:

2) Sean Couturier has had periodic offensive hot spells before in his NHL career -- including a stretch of five straight games with a goal as a rookie in 2011-12 -- so it is premature to declare that he's turned the corner offensively based on what he's done over the last 10 games. That said, there does seem to be a greater level of understanding by the player now about exactly what it will take for him to continue to have the degree of two-way success that he's had of late.

Over the last 10 games, Couturier has done more than "just" play strong defensive hockey. He's done more than chip in some points. He's put it all together to play at an elite level over that span.

Couturier's 12 points (six goals, six assists) in the last 10 games would be a nice stretch of production by any current-day NHL measure but, when you add in some of his analytics for that stretch to add additional context, he is arguably on the best run of his professional career when all factors are considered. Start with the fact that his "quality of opposition" score (51.6) in this span is the toughest of any player in the NHL and that he only started 43.3 percent of his even-strength shifts in the offensive zone. Even his faceoff numbers -- generally a weaker area of his game -- are slightly above 50 percent (50.4%) over the current stretch.

Couturier's current line combination with Brayden Schenn on his right wing and Michael Raffl on left wing seems to have found chemistry, creating chances and spending a lot more time in the offensive zone (wherever the shift may start) than defending. Their cycling game in particular has been excellent. Actually, it seems that Schenn and Couturier often seem to bring out the best in one another when they are put on the same line. I'd even go so far as to say that Schenn seems to complement Couturier better (and vice versa) than Schenn with Claude Giroux.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer, hopefully not a jinx:

2) Sean Couturier has had periodic offensive hot spells before in his NHL career -- including a stretch of five straight games with a goal as a rookie in 2011-12 -- so it is premature to declare that he's turned the corner offensively based on what he's done over the last 10 games. That said, there does seem to be a greater level of understanding by the player now about exactly what it will take for him to continue to have the degree of two-way success that he's had of late.

Over the last 10 games, Couturier has done more than "just" play strong defensive hockey. He's done more than chip in some points. He's put it all together to play at an elite level over that span.

Couturier's 12 points (six goals, six assists) in the last 10 games would be a nice stretch of production by any current-day NHL measure but, when you add in some of his analytics for that stretch to add additional context, he is arguably on the best run of his professional career when all factors are considered. Start with the fact that his "quality of opposition" score (51.6) in this span is the toughest of any player in the NHL and that he only started 43.3 percent of his even-strength shifts in the offensive zone. Even his faceoff numbers -- generally a weaker area of his game -- are slightly above 50 percent (50.4%) over the current stretch.

Couturier's current line combination with Brayden Schenn on his right wing and Michael Raffl on left wing seems to have found chemistry, creating chances and spending a lot more time in the offensive zone (wherever the shift may start) than defending. Their cycling game in particular has been excellent. Actually, it seems that Schenn and Couturier often seem to bring out the best in one another when they are put on the same line. I'd even go so far as to say that Schenn seems to complement Couturier better (and vice versa) than Schenn with Claude Giroux.
Please let his play continue as it has in the last dozen games and not revert back to the Couts of earlier this season and this goes for Schenn and Raffl too.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dominating the Islanders never gets old.

Someone tell me this isn't a playoff team.

One of the most dominant efforts of the season and I think probably the easiest shutout either of our goalies will have all season long.
THIS!!!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are four teams between us and a playoff spot, but if we just win our games in hand, we'll find ourselves ahead of all of them and tied with Pittsburgh.

This race is wide open, but we're playing better hockey right now than at least 8 of the 11 teams ahead of us.

We have a chance to play several of those teams this month, so the opportunity to climb the standings is there without question.
Upcoming slate vs. Eastern Conference crucial for Flyers

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost apparently did not practice today.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is day to day...optimistic he will skate tomorrow and play Wednesday. If not, definitely back by weekend.
Thanks E I was nervous because we haven't seen a young kid come into the league and tear it up offensively since Gee and before that maybe Lindros.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks E I was nervous because we haven't seen a young kid come into the league and tear it up offensively since Gee and before that maybe Lindros.
Looks like he will sit out against Boston. He skated in drills today but was not on PP1, hinting he will not play tomorrow. Should be in Saturday

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like he will sit out against Boston. He skated in drills today but was not on PP1, hinting he will not play tomorrow. Should be in Saturday
Thanks, Im fine with Saturday I just didn't want it to be long term he singlehandedly made this season worth watching again.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, Im fine with Saturday I just didn't want it to be long term he singlehandedly made this season worth watching again.

I would've watched either way honestly.

To me, he just needs to return to challenge Panarin, Larkin and Domi for the Calder Memorial Trophy. Obviously I'm biased, but I think he's right there with them. Actually, only Panarin has a higher point per game average and Ghost is not a forward...lol

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a puck possession standpoint, Couturier has faced the toughest opponents of any forward in the NHL through the season's first half.

That is pretty unbelievable.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've watched either way honestly.

To me, he just needs to return to challenge Panarin, Larkin and Domi for the Calder Memorial Trophy. Obviously I'm biased, but I think he's right there with them. Actually, only Panarin has a higher point per game average and Ghost is not a forward...lol
This is funny I probably would've kept watching also but its so much more fun to watch the product we have in place now then what we showed before he came up.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is funny I probably would've kept watching also but its so much more fun to watch the product we have in place now then what we showed before he came up.

We did just obliterate the 3rd place Islanders without him. This team is growing stronger by the day and ripe to prove a lot of people wrong.