• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: The Game '22 - University of Michigan @ The Ohio State University -The Greatest Rivalry in College Football

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Day =modern-day John Cooper
someone likely beat me to it, but 1-2 = 2-10-1? And he is 2-2 if UM does not beg out in 2020.

Bowl losses by Day have also been to CFP teams. Cooper lost to Air Force and S. Carolina among others.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thank you. Buckeyes are in no way a top 4 team in the country, big-time exposed today.
If USC and/or TCU loses someone is getting in who has been exposed and not top 4 worthy, no?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is. Loaded teams that will make a habit out of getting embarrassed by their biggest rival, never quite good enough to get over the hump. Urban's influence is 100% gone. It's clear as "Day" now.
Urban lost to unranked Iowa and Purdue in successive seasons by a combined 104-44.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could very well be.

Last year I expected UofM to win.

This season I thought Ohio State would get some payback.

And for how good the D looked most of the season they picked a bad time to play their worst game. And how that team ran all over Ohio State in the 2nd half. Gotta give credit to JH and what they did in the 2nd half. <--it sucked to type that

This loss will lead to alotta off season questions.
It sucked for sure but don't overreact as many seem to be doing (not just here). No doubt UM deserves credit as well. Harbaugh has been a HC nearly 20 years. This is Day's 4th.

Lose a couple more to them and drop in recruiting rankings? OK...that's a major problem.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what assistant coach can Day throw under the bus this year? Suckeyes don't like getting punched in the face under Day. S-A-W-F-T
throw under the bus? I mean, the D was far better this season.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day is following the track record of Cooper. Undefeated/great seasons going into The Game and Michigan has stopped them twice, Day is now 1-2, 2-2 if you give him the win as a fill in for Urban. Everyone in the team is his guy, they played soft for 2 years in a row and Michigan dominated the line all day long.

All I know, as a UM Grad, IT’S GREAT TO BE A MICHIGAN WOLVERINE!!!
Don't think Day filled in for a UM game but could give him the sure win in 2020 had UM not begged out. Don't recall Cooper winning one over them like Day did in 2019 that was a true blowout (over at the half).

1-2 = 2-10-1

Day also 2-2 in bowls and only losses in CFP. Cooper was 3-8 I believe. with losses to middling teams like Air Force and S. Carolina

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still in what? The playoff picture? Haha not even close. Ohio is not a good team, the decent teams they played took them to the wire, and they got destroyed by a great team
"not even close"?

Do they need some help? Sure, but they look kind of close.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
throw under the bus? I mean, the D was far better this season.
Was it? Instead of getting ground and pounded they gave up big play after big play and never made an adjustment which is all I heard about Knowles...hes great at in game adjustments

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it? Instead of getting ground and pounded they gave up big play after big play and never made an adjustment which is all I heard about Knowles...hes great at in game adjustments
Yes, it was. They have played more than one game this season if you didn't know. I also doubts he instructs players who are last line of defense to miss easy tackles....but I guess he might.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urban lost to unranked Iowa and Purdue in successive seasons by a combined 104-44.
Okay? Two anomalies among a plethora of overwhelming victories, not to mention coming up big in the big games. Of course urban wasnt perfect, but he built a hell of a reputation as a great coach when it counted.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If USC and/or TCU loses someone is getting in who has been exposed and not top 4 worthy, no?
I admit, I was responding in the heat of the moment when I said that. However, I dont see either TCU or USC losing this coming weekend

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
someone likely beat me to it, but 1-2 = 2-10-1? And he is 2-2 if UM does not beg out in 2020.

Bowl losses by Day have also been to CFP teams. Cooper lost to Air Force and S. Carolina among others.
Two blowout losses to our biggest rival up north? Yeah, he's most certainly trending towards John Cooper territory. He has a chance to change the narrative next season in the big house, but if we get blown out again, it's a wrap. I dont need to see 12 games worth of action to know.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay? Two anomalies among a plethora of overwhelming victories, not to mention coming up big in the big games. Of course urban wasnt perfect, but he built a hell of a reputation as a great coach when it counted.
He won me over. He won alot of big games. those iowa and purdue losses should not have happened. and that blank loss to clem.

Overall, I think urban underperformed though. with the talent, teams, recruiting classes, and opportunities he had, he should have had more than 1 NC. Same with Tressel. In his 10 years, he should have had more than 1 with the talent and teams he had.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day is following the track record of Cooper. Undefeated/great seasons going into The Game and Michigan has stopped them twice, Day is now 1-2, 2-2 if you give him the win as a fill in for Urban. Everyone in the team is his guy, they played soft for 2 years in a row and Michigan dominated the line all day long.

All I know, as a UM Grad, IT’S GREAT TO BE A MICHIGAN WOLVERINE!!!

This is interesting. Day's 1-2 vs. UofM. Cooper started out 0-5-1. Not exactly the same.

But I see what you're saying. I said the other day if Ohio State can't take care of business next season time to replace Day because I don't wanna another Cooper-like run in Columbus.

I disagree with you saying Day's following in the footsteps of Cooper with undefeated/great regular seasons though.

Day's been in Columbus now for five seasons. He's 45-5. Cooper went 41-16 his first five years. With the exception of '20 (virus season) Day's won double digits game every season. Cooper didn't win double digits games in a season until year five.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is interesting. Day's 1-2 vs. UofM. Cooper started out 0-5-1. Not exactly the same.

But I see what you're saying. I said the other day if Ohio State can't take care of business next season time to replace Day because I don't wanna another Cooper-like run in Columbus.

I disagree with you saying Day's following in the footsteps of Cooper with undefeated/great regular seasons though.

Day's been in Columbus now for five seasons. He's 45-5. Cooper went 41-16 his first five years. With the exception of '20 (virus season) Day's won double digits game every season. Cooper didn't win double digits games in a season until year five.

Day started with a fuller cupboard though. I'm not putting him on Cooper level at this point but he's gotta do better in big games.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day started with a fuller cupboard though. I'm not putting him on Cooper level at this point but he's gotta do better in big games.

Completely agree. And both losses have been bad.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucked for sure but don't overreact as many seem to be doing (not just here). No doubt UM deserves credit as well. **Harbaugh has been a HC nearly 20 years. This is Day's 4th.

Lose a couple more to them and drop in recruiting rankings? OK...that's a major problem.

It's not an overreaction at all. Ohio State has been run all over the last two games. And the offense only scored 50 total points.

** = Doesn't matter if JH's been a HC longer. Bad losses are bad losses.

You mentioned recruiting. Don't know where the kids were ranked nationally but two of them flipped from Columbus to ann arbor after the game.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't make that point to just rip Urban as he's a hell of a coach and among the best ever in CFB. How about those losses to MSU "when it counted?"

Yes, it sucks to lose to UM but in 4 years (and his only 4 as a HC if not mistaken) Day has only lost to UM, Clemson, Bama and Oregon. UM, Clemson and Bama also have coaches among the best who have been coaching a long time. For sure the Oregon loss a bad one but they were a top 10 team at the time.

He also has had wins over top 5 or 10 at time off top of my head ND, MSU, Utah, PSU, Wisconsin, UM (in his first season). Indiana top 10 when we beat him but could see not wanting to count that one (though they were pretty good with Penix that season). Has 2 BIG titles.

He has never lost to anyone but UM in the BIG and has no anomalies, let alone 2 by a 104-44 score over 2 seasons.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admit, I was responding in the heat of the moment when I said that. However, I dont see either TCU or USC losing this coming weekend
Both only 2.5 point favorites so neither would be a huge surprise....but, sure, both could win and win easily.