• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

6 Reasons Wisconsin Should Make the College Football Playoff if they beat Ohio State

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I happened to find this article and I know this has not been talked about at all here but it does make sense to me and am sure most of you wont read it all as it is a bit longer of an article but does make sense. I could not post the full article as it was to long.

6 Reasons Wisconsin Should Make the College Football Playoff | Seth Abramson

6 Reasons Wisconsin Should Make the College Football Playoff

On November 26th, the nation's highest-profile pollster -- Nate Silver of the New York Times -- gave ten teams a better chance of making the inaugural College Football Playoff than University of Wisconsin. Of course, it's really just seven teams; the Badgers only need to claim the fourth playoff spot, so neither they nor their fans care if three of Silver's ten teams make the playoffs ahead of them. With that in mind, it's time someone pointed out that of those seven teams (Arizona, UCLA, Georgia, Mississippi State, Baylor, Ohio State, and TCU), three (UCLA, Georgia, and Mississippi State) have now lost a game since Silver ran his data, putting them outside the playoff picture. A fourth team (Ohio State) will of course fall behind Wisconsin if it loses to the Badgers in the Big Ten championship game in Indianapolis next week.

If Wisconsin beats Ohio State this coming Saturday -- a premise made more likely by the season-ending injury suffered by Ohio State starting quarterback J.T. Barrett on Saturday -- there will only be three teams left (Arizona, Baylor, and TCU) between Wisconsin and a berth in the first-ever four-team playoff in college football. But Arizona is almost certain to lose its game to No. 2 Oregon next week -- and if it doesn't, that win would leave Oregon out of playoff contention, thus putting the Ducks (rather than Arizona) behind the Badgers. There's also a reasonable chance Baylor will lose next week to No. 12 Kansas State, though even if it doesn't, the winner of next week's Baylor-Kansas State game will be hurt -- as TCU will be hurt -- by the fact that the Big 12 doesn't have a championship game. As between Baylor, Kansas State, TCU, and Wisconsin, only the Badgers (assuming a win next week) would be able to boast a Power 5 conference championship on their playoff CV.

While one team presently ranked behind Wisconsin -- Georgia Tech -- could still make their own case for playoff inclusion, if Georgia Tech beats No. 3 Florida State next week (which it would have to do to make the playoffs) it would, much like an Oregon loss to Arizona, put a team currently presumed to be a shoo-in for the playoffs out of the picture. In other words, No. 16 Georgia Tech beating Florida State helps the higher-ranked Badgers as much or more than it helps Georgia Tech. On a similar note, if No. 1 Alabama loses in the SEC Championship Game to No. 17 Missouri, Missouri still wouldn't find its way into the playoffs -- but Alabama might well drop out of them.

The short-form summary of the case for the Badgers goes like this: a Power 5 conference champion with a top-ranked defense, likely Heisman winner, and Coach of the Year semifinalist, which also happens to be the hottest team in FBS football -- assuming an Ohio State win next week, Wisconsin would have won eight straight games, with a stunning seven of those wins against bowl-eligible teams -- deserves to be one of the four teams playing for a National Championship. The usual argument against the Badgers, that the Big Ten is a conference in decline, has lost its purchase since the conference began playing some of its best football in years. The Big Ten stacks up nicely against the other Power 5 conferences in almost any measure you could name. An argument more specific to Wisconsin -- that it has two losses -- is hindered not just by the fact that those losses came very early in the season (and the CFB Playoff Committee has emphasized recent performance), but also by the fact that one of those two losses can't really be charged against the Badgers at all.

Here's the somewhat elongated, six-point case for Wisconsin making the CFB Playoff:

1. The Big Ten Is Strong This Year, Which Means Its Conference Champion Should Make the Playoff. Based on the number of its teams in the CFP Top 25, the relative ranking of those teams, its FPI strength-of-schedule, and its success in non-conference games against bowl-eligible Power 5 teams (and Notre Dame), the Big Ten is either the third- or fourth-best conference in the country. If the first-ever College Football Playoff is to take a national view of the state of college football, there's no question the top dog in the B1G needs to be in the final four-team grid.

2. No One in the Country Is Playing Better Than Wisconsin. If Wisconsin beats Ohio State, it will have won eight games in a row -- tied with No. 1 Alabama and No. 2 Oregon for the second-longest streak among CFP Top 25 teams. More impressive than this, seven of those wins will have been against bowl-eligible teams, and three (in fact, three of Wisconsin's last four games) against Top 20 opponents. During its current win streak Wisconsin has outscored its unquestionably formidable opponents 280 to 123 -- an average margin-of-victory of three touchdowns.

3. Melvin Gordon and the Chevy Bad Boys. The nation wants to see its best players play on the nation's biggest stage, and Wisconsin's running back, Melvin Gordon, is arguably the best offensive player in the country. He'll either win the Heisman or finish a close second in the balloting, and it's not hard to see why: during Wisconsin's seven-game winning streak, Gordon has carried 178 times for 1,389 yards and 14 touchdowns -- an average of more than 7.8 yards per carry, and basically an entire season of rushing yards squeezed into about half a season (given how many fourth-quarter blowouts Gordon sat out). By total carries, Gordon is the fastest player to reach 2,000 rushing yards in a season. But the Badgers aren't one-dimensional; unlike offense-only juggernauts such as Baylor and Kansas State, Wisconsin also has the second-best defense in America, led by a corps of linebackers known affectionately as the "Chevy Bad Boys." The Badgers' humble, no-name overachievers will win the hearts of American bowl-watchers instantly.

4. The Committee Can't Really Consider the Badgers' Loss to Then-No. 13 LSU. Back in August, the Badgers dominated a Top 15 SEC team for three quarters, leading 24-7 at halftime and 24-13 going into the fourth quarter. Then two things happened: the Badgers lost two-thirds of their defensive line to freak injuries -- two lineman left on stretchers -- and the coaching staff erroneously thought Melvin Gordon had injured himself and took him out of the game. Through the first half (and one play) of the game, Gordon ran for 147 yards on 14 carries; after that, he had 3 carries for one yard due to an administrative error. The result? LSU scored 15 unanswered points in the fourth quarter and won the game. The upshot: the Badgers didn't lose the LSU game on the field; rather, the coaching staff, aided by two freak (but critical) injuries, were the difference between a convincing Badger road-win over a top SEC opponent and a narrow loss.

5. The Badgers' Only "Bad Loss" Wasn't Actually So Bad. Losing by less than a touchdown to a Big Ten team that defeated then-No. 18 Notre Dame on the road and only missed bowl eligibility in its last game of the season is no crime. After all, Northwestern looked strong for most of the season, beating Purdue and a bowl-eligible Penn State team by a combined 67-20, losing to Michigan by only one point, staying within a touchdown of No. 18 Minnesota on the road, and giving a 9-3 Nebraska team all they could handle for three quarters, only to lose the plot in the final fifteen minutes. Early losses to a mid-tier Pac-12 team (California) and a possible MAC champion (Northern Illinois) were disappointing, but paint an unfair picture of this Wildcat squad. While two losses to bowl teams -- Iowa and Illinois -- admittedly weren't pretty, nothing in Northwestern's CV suggests that Wisconsin should feel any shame for having been in a position to beat the Cats on their final drive in Evanston.

6. Wisconsin Passes the Eye Test. Arguably the best offensive player in college football? Check. A top-ranked defense? Check. The nation's longest winning streak by any team not named Florida State, assuming a win against Ohio State? Check. A conference championship in a Power 5 conference? Again, assuming a win next week, check. Early-season quarterback issues that have now been solved, with starter Joel Stave sporting a nearly 200 Quarterback Rating in his latest game (against a Top 20 Minnesota squad)? Check. A coach who's a semifinalist for Coach of the Year in college football? Check. A fan base known to travel as well or better than any other? Check.

In other words, while we couldn't have said this early on this year, now that we live in the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately CFP era, it's easy enough to say that a likely-to-be No. 10 or No. 11 Wisconsin, assuming a win next week against a likely-to-be No. 4 or No. 5 Ohio State, deserves not only a Big Ten Championship and a bowl game but also a chance to play on for even more.

Beggs

Nipples of a God
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are going to get a lot of shit here from #1

edit: and also using LSU's ranking from when the game was played, as they are no longer ranked

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His number 1 reason is the Big10 being strong...

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason anyone should consider us is that the team, with its current QB, is undefeated and playing as well as any team. If you could magically spin off this year's Badger team into two teams, the Stave Badgers are 7-0 and would be ranked easily in the top 4. Some people think momentum and current play and form should matter. If you are the type of person who thinks OSU should be penalized for Barrett's injury, then you would be a hypocrite to not have us in contention for a spot.

But I disagree with that logic. In my view, the top four teams based on merit should make it. There is no conceivable argument that we belong in the top four based on our entire resume. I wish we were, and if we started the right quarterback and/or avoided injuries, we probably would be. But we aren't.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read reason 1 and was all nah not reading further.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah not happening. As much as I'd love it, I don't see us making it in. We could've survived the loss to LSU, but Northwestern is unforgivable. And as much as it sucks, beating tOSU isn't going to be as good of a win as it would've been before JT's injury (assuming we do win).

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have nothing against Wisconsin and respect the hell out of them for what they've done. I think they're a pretty good team.

That being said, no. Just no. Hell no. No.

#1 on that list is already enough reason to stop reading.
#2 - Well Arkansas is also playing lights out right now, so I guess we should give them a seat?
#3 - Yeah okay, yes there are great players on the team, but that can be said about many other teams as well including the top 6 or so on the CFP rankings.
#4 - All. Games. Count. Whatever the reasons for the loss, it still happened.
#5 - "Not that bad" does not equate to "good," and let's not even get started on the whole "good loss" discussion.
#6 - The eye test is subjective as hell for starters. I also love that having a coach up for COTY is part of the checklist. That's a great accomplishment and everything, but that is not a reason to be considered for the playoffs.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stopped when things got completely shitty. It was at "The Big Ten Is Strong This Year" :L

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason whatsoever. Wisconsin lost to Northwestern. Wisconsin no chance.

If Ohio State loses, then the Big 12 is sitting the prettiest with Baylor and TCU.

IMHO, there are only five schools eligible for the playoff, right now.

Alabama, Florida State, Oregon, Ohio State, and TCU.

If Missouri, Georgia Tech, Arizona, or Wisconsin win the CCG, no way should any of them be in the playoff.

BUT!!!! If it is chaos on Saturday, and all four CCGs cause seven teams to be 11-2, and one team to be 12-1 then Wisconsin has a chance.

In that scenario, Florida State would be in for sure, so that leaves three spots left. If TCU gets past Iowa State, TCU is in. In no way is an Iowa State team the same caliber as a CCG opponent though.

Only two spots left to fill and then you have Arizona, Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Georgia Tech, Missouri, Alabama, and Baylor to choose for the final two teams.

I still do not understand how the Big 12 is thought of so highly.

Baylor has beaten only two teams with a winning record. TWO!! Oklahoma(8-3) and TCU(10-1), lost to 7-5 West Virginia

Kansas State has beaten three teams with a winning record. THREE!! Oklahoma, UTEP, and West Virginia. Lost to Auburn(8-4) and TCU

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason anyone should consider us is that the team, with its current QB, is undefeated and playing as well as any team. If you could magically spin off this year's Badger team into two teams, the Stave Badgers are 7-0 and would be ranked easily in the top 4. Some people think momentum and current play and form should matter. If you are the type of person who thinks OSU should be penalized for Barrett's injury, then you would be a hypocrite to not have us in contention for a spot.

But I disagree with that logic. In my view, the top four teams based on merit should make it. There is no conceivable argument that we belong in the top four based on our entire resume. I wish we were, and if we started the right quarterback and/or avoided injuries, we probably would be. But we aren't.

the classic Georgia Argument :pound: but, but, but...look at us NOW

OSU should be penalized for Barrett's injury AND wisky shouldn't get as much credit as they would have because of Barrett's injury

that list in the OP was complete shit

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well those 6 reasons are very soft.

1. Strong conference. Opinon and a weak one. Let's look at the top three teams in each division.
Ohio St - lost to Virginia Tech
Mich St - lost to Oregon
Maryland - lost to WVU
Wisconsin - lost to LSU
Minnesota - lost to TCU
Nebraska - beat Miami

Strong conference?

2. No one playing better. Yeah ok, another opinon. Wisconsin is riding a 7 game streak but so is Bama and Oregon. I'd say they are not playing better than them.

3. Melvin Gordon is great so we should be there. :L just so much wrong with this logic.

4. SHHH don't look at this loss to unranked team number 1

5. SHHH don't look at this loss to unranked team number 2

6. We pass the eye test with two losses to unranked teams and only 1 win vs a currently ranked team!

1/10

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
big LOL.

um, no.

2 losses. end of story.

congrats if you beat a severely weakened team. :rollseyes:

but wisky doesn't belong in the top 4. MSU has more of an argument than wisky, and they don't.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Needed a laugh this morning. Thanks OP.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As between Baylor, Kansas State, TCU, and Wisconsin, only the Badgers (assuming
a win next week) would be able to boast a Power 5 conference championship on
their playoff CV.

I stopped reading right here, before I got to the list of reasons. This is not a correct statement. One of those three B12 teams, and possibly two of them, will indeed have a P5 Conference championship, they will just not have gotten it through a superflous conference title game. Maybe the writer just worded it wrongly, but either way it's a false premise. Wisconsin will not have any advantage over the Big Xii teams in that area.

I likes me some Badgers and I hope they destroy the Buckeyes, but that still would not be enough to vault them into the playoffs with their two losses. TCU is going to clobber Iowa State most likely, thus guaranteeing themselves a share of the B12 title and a pretty good 11-1 record, with their only loss coming to what will likely be another 11-1 Baylor team. That's just better than Wisconsin's losses to LSU and Northwestern.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just can't help myself:

4. The Committee Can't Really Consider the Badgers' Loss to Then-No. 13
LSU
. Back in August, the Badgers dominated a Top 15 SEC team for three
quarters, leading 24-7 at halftime and 24-13 going into the fourth quarter. Then
two things happened: the Badgers lost two-thirds of their defensive line to
freak injuries -- two lineman left on stretchers -- and the coaching staff
erroneously thought Melvin Gordon had injured himself and took him out of the
game. Through the first half (and one play) of the game, Gordon ran for 147
yards on 14 carries; after that, he had 3 carries for one yard due to an
administrative error. The result? LSU scored 15 unanswered points in the fourth
quarter and won the game. The upshot: the Badgers didn't lose the LSU game on
the field; rather, the coaching staff, aided by two freak (but critical)
injuries, were the difference between a convincing Badger road-win over a top
SEC opponent and a narrow loss.

Ahh yes, the dreaded .8 of a victory...

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is one of those times where you feel embarrassed for someone else.

good God, think before you post.