• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bills Head Coach position is now available

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some more info:

<h1 class="articleHeadline" id="articleHeadline"> Marrone opts out of his contract with Bills </h1> - Sports - The Buffalo News

Marrone got that clause put in because at the time he was hired, nobody knew how long Ralph was going to be around, and people didn't want to take the job with the possibility of ownership changing unexpectedly.

That article also repeats speculation that Bill Polian is returning to the Bills as director of football operations.
Marrone made a good business decision.

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even the Bills arent stupid enough to hire Toe Sucker. He`s done until everyone forgets what a mess he made in NY.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the bills were headed in a good direction team wise.
Surprising a coach wants out after finally starting to see improvements.

but then again with his opt out clause I am reading here. Wouldn't it be funny opt out get 4 mil & resign with them later on for a new contract LOL ( I know it wont happen, but I find that even being possible as funny)

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some more info:

<h1 class="articleHeadline" id="articleHeadline"> Marrone opts out of his contract with Bills </h1> - Sports - The Buffalo News

Marrone got that clause put in because at the time he was hired, nobody knew how long Ralph was going to be around, and people didn't want to take the job with the possibility of ownership changing unexpectedly.

That article also repeats speculation that Bill Polian is returning to the Bills as director of football operations.

A couple of coworkers up there alerted me to this possibility last week. I feel bad for them because they had genuine hope.

Can't blame Marrone though. Too much uncertainty. But someone is going to get a damn good coach. And - there are some good openings. Arthur Blank would be well served not to make any decisions without having a chat with him.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the bills were headed in a good direction team wise.
Surprising a coach wants out after finally starting to see improvements.

but then again with his opt out clause I am reading here. Wouldn't it be funny opt out get 4 mil & resign with them later on for a new contract LOL ( I know it wont happen, but I find that even being possible as funny)

They lost their starting QB and have no first round pick.

Not saying they didn't do a great job this year and have some talent those two issues will discourage some.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They lost their starting QB and have no first round pick.

Not saying they didn't do a great job this year and have some talent those two issues will discourage some.

Not to mention the GM was questioning his coaching decisions. Perfect time to move on, if you can still collect your paycheck.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bills offense was putrid and ranked #26 out of 32 teams.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet he wants the Niners job

this is what I just found. Ian Rapoport seems to think Jets (no clue why he would want that job)

The Bills are expected to have "strong interest" in Chargers OC Frank Reich as Doug Marrone's head-coaching replacement.

It sounds like Marrone is going to the Jets, who already fulfilled the Rooney Rule by interviewing RBs coach Anthony Lynn for their vacancy. They can hire Marrone as soon as they please. Reich replaced Ken Whisenhunt as the Chargers' offensive coordinator in 2014. He is a former quarterback for the Bills.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bills offense was putrid and ranked #26 out of 32 teams.

That what happens when your QB isn't good and your RBs are out or playing hurt. Pretty tough to get any kind of offense going. I don't think I'd put that on the coach, I'd put it on the GM.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if he's a good coach or not but he's definitely a baller after that move. Could not have played it any more perfectly on his part

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bills want Chargers OC Frank Reich as next HC. Makes sense. Wonder what happens to Schwartz.

The Bills are expected to have "strong interest" in Chargers OC Frank Reich as Doug Marrone's head-coaching replacement.
It sounds like Marrone is going to the Jets, who already fulfilled the Rooney Rule by interviewing RBs coach Anthony Lynn for their vacancy. They can hire Marrone as soon as they please. Reich replaced Ken Whisenhunt as the Chargers' offensive coordinator in 2014. He is a former quarterback for the Bills.
Related: Bills
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marrone definitely made the best of the situation. I understand before resigning, he asked for an extension to his and his staff's contracts and was told no.

With the clause in his contract that requires the Bills to pay him if he leaves, the Bills either wanted him gone or they called what they thought was a bluff.

Either way...with the head office getting on him about being conservative...no extension...no first round pick....still stuck with Emanual....Looks to me like Marrone made the right move.
The head office in buffalo better have a plan or this will be a dumpster fire next year.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marrone,

Drop off Ty Wheatley in Ann Arbor, on your way to Chicago. Many thanks.

- Michigan

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New ownership wants to put their choices in place regardless of what anyone else thinks. Logical moves would to bring in Polian to do the personnel work and hire Reich as the HC. Reich and Polian will build the staff and then try to see what they can do about getting a starting quarterback to lead the team. I don't know who's available as free agents but I'm pretty sure that they can find a better QB than Manuel.

With an owner dying, a bad situation at QB and a number of nagging injuries and they finished at 9-7. The team is headed in the right direction, now owner has to keep it on course and hire the right people to direct it.

Buffalo ain't Miami or LA...........Gotta find the right people.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you believe Maroone wasn't the right people?

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those wondering how Marrone managed to get such a sweet deal, let's keep in mind what "the state of the Bills" was when Marrone signed his deal:

- The Bills stadium lease was due to expire in about a year. Other than "ongoing negotiations", nobody was really sure what was going to happen with that.

- Ralph was of course pretty old, but in relatively good health. I'm guessing if his doctor was asked "how long will he live?" the answer would have been along the lines of "your guess is as good as mine".

- Of course nobody had a clue about how long it might take to sell the team, who might buy the team, whether the sale might involve moving the team, how long it might take the NFL to approve the sale/move, etc.

Adding this all up , of course no legit. coaching candidate would have taken the job without some sort of opt-out clause.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should have extended the contracts for HCDM and his staff. Starting over isn't going to work. If they wanted to let Hackett go in favor of Frank Reich that may have been an option. Negotiations didn't seem to get that far...or anywhere.

Bringing in yet another guy with no head coaching experience and track record will set them back a few years.