• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What happens to the Bills vs. Bengals game?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL has said the game will not take place this week. The Bills are scheduled to play the Patriots on Sunday and the Bengals are scheduled to play the Ravens. This is a tough call, but I think these are the best options:

1. Give both the Bills and Bengals the W for the game, and move on.
2. Schedule the wildcard games for a week later.
3. Just cancel the game, and give the Chiefs the #1 spot if they beat the Raiders.

What do you guys think?

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 is most likely the outcome:suds:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 cannot happen.

It's either
1. No contest
2. A tie
3. A forfeit
4. Played after week 18. Logistically this is not great as all WC games will have to be pushed back.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing the league is waiting to see how much impact the game would have on playoff seeding, before they try to shoehorn it in somewhere.

I.e, the Chiefs lose this week

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are several things that the league is considering.

1. Both teams get wins for week 17 AND week 18.
2. The Patriots would play the Ravens in Baltimore Sunday. (Bengals opponent)
3. The Chiefs would get the Bye on Wildcard Weekend.
4. If the Bills and Chiefs met for the AFCCG, the Bills would get home field.

The Steelers and Dolphins want the schedule to remain exactly as it is and don't care about the suspended game.
They both have a horse in the race for the #7 spot. They are completely against any forfeits or allowing the Patriots to get any advantage for that final playoff spot.

Another scenario that is being discussed is having the Patriots and Steelers play and giving the Bills and Bengals the week off. The Browns would play the Ravens and the Dolphins would play the Jets as scheduled. The Steelers are not agreeing to this because they have the Browns in their final game and the last guy they want to face is Belichek.

No matter what happens, unless the league schedule is played out, there will be some very pissed off owners and players.

League and NFLPA are both trying to come up with something.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL has said the game will not take place this week. The Bills are scheduled to play the Patriots on Sunday and the Bengals are scheduled to play the Ravens. This is a tough call, but I think these are the best options:

3. Just cancel the game, and give the Chiefs the #1 spot if they beat the Raiders.

What do you guys think?
I get that your a Buffalo fan, but seriously? Why/how would they give both teams a win? That's ridiculous. The reasonable answer is #3. Just don't play the game. Why is everyone so Hell bent on playing it and screwing up the whole schedule for it. It would just work out similar to a tie. #2 is an option and then remove the second week off before the SB, but a lot of these stadiums book events around the schedule and may have concerts and the such booked for that week

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What do you guys think?

You cannot do 1

It’s a tie or a no contest

3 is the clear option. You cannot overhaul the entire schedule for one game

3 is the most fair option to the entire league , anything else is bending over backwards to favor these 2 teams

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that your a Buffalo fan, but seriously? Why/how would they give both teams a win? That's ridiculous. The reasonable answer is #3. Just don't play the game. Why is everyone so Hell bent on playing it and screwing up the whole schedule for it. It would just work out similar to a tie. #2 is an option and then remove the second week off before the SB, but a lot of these stadiums book events around the schedule and may have concerts and the such booked for that week

This guy gets it.

It’s really not hard

Yet somehow people are making it hard.

They play it today or it’s a tie. What else can they do?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that your a Buffalo fan, but seriously? Why/how would they give both teams a win? That's ridiculous. The reasonable answer is #3. Just don't play the game. Why is everyone so Hell bent on playing it and screwing up the whole schedule for it. It would just work out similar to a tie. #2 is an option and the remove the second week off before the SB, but a lot of these stadiums book events around the schedule and may have concerts and the such booked for that week

Simplicity and convenience all in one option (3). The Bills could very well not play this weekend vs the Patriots; it is in the range of outcomes pending Hamlin's condition, so pushing to complete this game that likely only affects seeding seems pointless in the wake of such an emotional impact on the players involved.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could ultimately be the answer. The Bills (and Bengals) might take the ball out of their hands and request the cancelation.

I think they’re hoping they do that

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am okay with a tie too. Like I said before, the Bills and Bengals should not be punished for the incident. I like the idea of doing a 911 thing and move the game to another week and push the wildcard. Trying to be fair to both teams.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am okay with a tie too. Like I said before, the Bills and Bengals should not be punished for the incident. I like the idea of doing a 911 thing and move the game to another week and push the wildcard. Trying to be fair to both teams.

How about being fair to the other 30 teams as well

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is that really fair though? You just gave all other playoff teams an extra bye. Cancellation seems the correct path to me. The game is only important for seeding purposes. Would you rather play the Chargers/Ravens or Pats/Dolphins? Does it really matter (especially if the Dolphins get the spot over the Pats with Tua playing)?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about being fair to the other 30 teams as well

It would only really affect the playoff teams (if they finished the game in week 19), and they would be getting an extra bye. Seems fair enough.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would only really affect the playoff teams (if they finished the game in week 19), and they would be getting an extra bye. Seems fair enough.

Upending the entire schedule seems like bending over backwards to help Buffalo

Tie is the easiest, cleanest way to do it

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upending the entire schedule seems like bending over backwards to help Buffalo

Tie is the easiest, cleanest way to do it

I agree, but I don't see any negative impact to other teams other than their logistics people.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What do you guys think?

Looked back at history... other than HOF or preseason games. Last times actually cancelled games that were not rescheduled and played were the 1982 and 1987 players union strike years.

Since then had:
- 9/11 games of 2011 that were cancelled and rescheduled for end of season. Playoffs and Super Bowl all pushed back 1 week.
- 2020 & 2021 - many games were rescheduled due to Covid.. but does not appear
- Several severe weather incidents... game either moved or postponed. Two most recent... 2022 Bills v Browns moved to Detroit and 2021 Saints v Packers moved to Jacksonville

My assumption if the game is needed it will be played. My assumption is only way not needed is if Chiefs win this week and both Bengals and Bills lose last game.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked back at history... other than HOF or preseason games. Last times actually cancelled games that were not rescheduled and played were the 1982 and 1987 players union strike years.

My assumption if the game is needed it will be played. My assumption is only way not needed is if Chiefs win this week and both Bengals and Bills lose last game.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This very well could happen Chiefs win and both Bengals and Bills lose due to players not being able to focus on the task at hand after seeing someone almost die in front of them. Not easy to just put that on the back burner and move along.
NFL has to make a decision before the weekends games IMO either a tie or just a canceled game are the only options IMO.