• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What happens to the Bills vs. Bengals game?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This very well could happen Chiefs win and both Bengals and Bills lose due to players not being able to focus on the task at hand after seeing someone almost die in front of them. Not easy to just put that on the back burner and move along.
NFL has to make a decision before the weekends games IMO either a tie or just a canceled game are the only options IMO.
Funny enough, I think good ol' Rodger is waiting for the results this weekend to finally make a decision. At least that's my guess...

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny enough, I think good ol' Rodger is waiting for the results this weekend to finally make a decision. At least that's my guess...
What a shitty deal for the Bengals.

Are they division champs or not? Schrödinger's NFL team. The Bengals apparently don't know this week if they have clinched or not. Nor do the Ravens. Theoretically those teams could play the WC round.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally get why they may not play it, call it a tie, etc... I'm curious what happens with bets, etc.

I would imagine anyone impacted by this game that placed bets (losing HFA, etc.) would get a refund... this has major implications and financially impacts people. "Oh but the player is more important." Simply put, there's plenty of people that really don't care... people die every day... end of day you place a bet or look to make money and something like this happens, you're looking for a refund.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep that’s because Roger is a follower not a leader. A leader would listen to the advice of all triple ck the rule books and make a decision and move on. In something like this the right or wrong is not the issue it’s the leadership of making a decision giving the explanation of why and moving forward.
For any questions about making the decision the answer is the same “ the decision has been made & the explanation has been given” next question.
Roger does not have that kind of leadership in him.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How bout …

One twice three shoot

Rock paper scissors ?

Always worked when we were choosin

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked back at history... other than HOF or preseason games. Last times actually cancelled games that were not rescheduled and played were the 1982 and 1987 players union strike years.

Since then had:
- 9/11 games of 2011 that were cancelled and rescheduled for end of season. Playoffs and Super Bowl all pushed back 1 week.
- 2020 & 2021 - many games were rescheduled due to Covid.. but does not appear
- Several severe weather incidents... game either moved or postponed. Two most recent... 2022 Bills v Browns moved to Detroit and 2021 Saints v Packers moved to Jacksonville

My assumption if the game is needed it will be played. My assumption is only way not needed is if Chiefs win this week and both Bengals and Bills lose last game.

It's only needed for potential seeding. In my opinion (as a Bills fan), that's not that important in the shadow of the impact on these players from what they witnessed.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a shitty deal for the Bengals.

Are they division champs or not? Schrödinger's NFL team. The Bengals apparently don't know this week if they have clinched or not. Nor do the Ravens. Theoretically those teams could play the WC round.

If the Bills/Bengals game is canceled or ruled a tie, Bengals win the division. It's still the easiest path.

Strangely enough, on the playoff picture page of the NFL website, they have the Bengals and Ravens listed with a bye in week 18. Bills and Pats are still listed as playing. Likely just an error, but strange nonetheless...

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but I don't see any negative impact to other teams other than their logistics people.

Agreed. And it really isnt a big deal logistically to teams anyways because no one knows when/where/who they play in the playoffs right now anyway.

And it still is a benefit to all the other teams as well. They get an extra week to heal up for the playoffs that Cinci and Buffalo dont get to rest before the playoff games.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. And it really isnt a big deal logistically to teams anyways because no one knows when/where/who they play in the playoffs right now anyway.

And it still is a benefit to all the other teams as well. They get an extra week to heal up for the playoffs that Cinci and Buffalo dont get to rest before the playoff games.

But it's still more work than necessary, since they can just cancel the game. The impact is minimal, other than likely giving the Chiefs the #1 seed and removing the Ravens shot at the division (which would be tough without Lamar anyway).

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 cannot happen.

It's either
1. No contest
2. A tie
3. A forfeit
4. Played after week 18. Logistically this is not great as all WC games will have to be pushed back.
Number 2 is not possible either because they played 9 minutes of football and Cincinnati was leading 7-3. You can't magically give buffalo 4 points.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Number 2 is not possible either because they played 9 minutes of football and Cincinnati was leading 7-3. You can't magically give buffalo 4 points.
2 is possible. The league can say since the game wasn't completed, and they cant make it up it's a tie.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 is possible. The league can say since the game wasn't completed, and they cant make it up it's a tie.
So award a team 4 points they didn't earn? If the score was tied or didn't take place, then sure. I can't see it being a tie.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My solution is still the best I've seen. Maybe I should call GoodelL

1. Play only NFC finale games this wknd, plus the Buffy/Cincy game. No other AFC games will be played.

2. Play all the AFC finale games next wknd.

* The networks still get their fill of games both weekends.

Playoffs are pushed back one week, and begin on Saturday, 1/21.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Play only NFC finale games this Sunday, 1/8 as scheduled, plus the Buffy/Cincy game. No other AFC games will be played.

2. Play all the AFC finale games next Sunday, 1/15.

Give him a call, I'm sure nobody has thought of this in the league office

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Play only NFC finale games this wknd, plus the Buffy/Cincy game. No other AFC games will be played.

I guess for TV it would be a win win and as a Fins fan I'd take another week to get some QB's healthy. Call it in.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the best plan is to push the playoffs back a week and say it will give the players time rest up and get healthy. Then play cincy vs Buffalo on the bye week if it affects who gets the 1 seed, HFA in game 1, or makes the playoff. If they are playing because seeding is not decided, but HFA is, cancel it and keep the bye.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the best plan is to push the playoffs back a week and say it will give the players time rest up and get healthy. Then play cincy vs Buffalo on the bye week if it affects who gets the 1 seed, HFA in game 1, or makes the playoff. If they are playing because seeding is not decided, but HFA is, cancel it and keep the bye.

This solution leaves the networks out in the cold for your bye week. With mine, they get their games each wknd.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the best solution I have seen. All teams get a week off except the Bills and Bengals.