• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bears 2021 Offseason

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll never understand grading a draft that just ended. You can’t properly grade these things until 3-4 years later.

But Pace did inject some excitement into the franchise and the fan base. There’s hope again.

Fields gives them a real shot at a legit franchise QB1. They pick up a couple offensive linemen that are big, mean, and physical.

Had to give up a lot to get there but that’s the cost of getting so many things wrong before that. It really shows the cost of making big mistakes with your roster and draft picks. Fields is the type of prospect that can potentially fix those mistakes.

No idea what the grade will look like a few seasons from now but I’m pretty stoked by what we got.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll never understand grading a draft that just ended. You can’t properly grade these things until 3-4 years later.

But Pace did inject some excitement into the franchise and the fan base. There’s hope again.

Fields gives them a real shot at a legit franchise QB1. They pick up a couple offensive linemen that are big, mean, and physical.

Had to give up a lot to get there but that’s the cost of getting so many things wrong before that. It really shows the cost of making big mistakes with your roster and draft picks. Fields is the type of prospect that can potentially fix those mistakes.

No idea what the grade will look like a few seasons from now but I’m pretty stoked by what we got.
I think pretty much everyone understands that we'll never know how a draft truly pans out until several seasons down the road. I like to refer to these post draft grades as paper grades. On paper, how did our team do in this draft, that's the mentality I take and I suspect most others do as well. So at least on paper IMHO, Pace killed it, even if it's at the cost of next year's #1, and until proven otherwise.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No such thing as a paper grade. Results are determined on the field. If the way your roster looked on paper mattered the Raiders would be an amazing franchise year after year.

Pace potentially killed it. He’s accomplished nothing yet.

The potential is huge. But potential means next to nothing in sports.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No such thing as a paper grade. Results are determined on the field. If the way your roster looked on paper mattered the Raiders would be an amazing franchise year after year.

That's why I call them paper grades.. They're really meaningless because there are no results to back them up. But it's still fun to project and assign a value based on expectations. I still think Pace killed it, but that means jack until they prove it.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, we won't know the truth until pads are on and games are played. I grade the boldness of Pace is what I graded. He is one lucky GM to have been able to pull off the picks, beyond all else. That is what I graded. Picking up two arguably 2 first round and some say 2nd best potential QB in this draft?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He absolutely does.

Been a while since the draft crested this much excitement.
I may even like the back half of the draft more. Did a lot with a little.

Pace's best draft, considering everything.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’ll be interesting to see how early the Chicago media gives up on Justin Fields. I have a feeling he will have some pretty big growing pains early on at best. Hopefully he can get over them, but I’m not as optimistic about his prospects as others are. I hope I’m wrong, but as a passer he struggles from a lot of the same things Cutler did. Things like a slow release, difficulty with pre snap reads, staring down receivers. His accuracy is a lot better, but everyone thought Trubisky’s accuracy would improve too. He came from a system that doesn’t require quick decisions and is being brought into a system that requires it. Hopefully he can make the transition.

I still like the pick because I have been wrong before about QB prospects coming to the nfl. It’ll be interesting to see how he does when he finally gets the playing time.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we won't know the truth until pads are on and games are played. I grade the boldness of Pace is what I graded. He is one lucky GM to have been able to pull off the picks, beyond all else. That is what I graded. Picking up two arguably 2 first round and some say 2nd best potential QB in this draft?

A lot had to go in his favor to even have a chance at Fields. I’m glad he acted quickly when the dominoes began falling.

I’m still miffed at Denver passing up Fields.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’ll be interesting to see how early the Chicago media gives up on Justin Fields. I have a feeling he will have some pretty big growing pains early on at best. Hopefully he can get over them, but I’m not as optimistic about his prospects as others are. I hope I’m wrong, but as a passer he struggles from a lot of the same things Cutler did. Things like a slow release, difficulty with pre snap reads, staring down receivers. His accuracy is a lot better, but everyone thought Trubisky’s accuracy would improve too. He came from a system that doesn’t require quick decisions and is being brought into a system that requires it. Hopefully he can make the transition.

I still like the pick because I have been wrong before about QB prospects coming to the nfl. It’ll be interesting to see how he does when he finally gets the playing time.
I’m not a scout but I’ve watched countless videos of Fields the past few days and 4 full Ohio State games so far.

His release is quick. Really quick at times. Nothing at all wrong with his accuracy. Has touch....throws a catchable ball. Looks in control.

Cutler also didn’t have a slow release so not sure what you see there.

Fields does hold the ball too long. He doesn’t appear to struggle reading the defense....he appears, to me, to just take too long doing it. Reminds me a lot of a young Rodgers in that regard. Or Big Ben. That’s something he has to work on. This league rewards QBs that get the ball out quick. Fields will have an advantage thanks to his athletic ability but I’d prefer him to be quicker on his progressions.

His processing speed with definitely be something to watch early on. But the tape tells you one thing....he’s gonna be fun to watch. The days of boring QB play that want to make you turn the channel are over.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I hope we all agree on as Bears diehards is that Nagy/Pace don't feel the need to rush Fields onto the field (yes, pun intended) before he's had a chance to absorb the game at the pro level. Now maybe he's a quick learner and regardless, I highly doubt under most circumstances that they'll sit him the entire season, that is unless we're miraculously fighting for the Norris crown or at least a playoff berth late in the year. We gotta figure at some point he will take the reins. But while I'm no Andy Dalton fan by any stretch, I think he can hold the fort down until Fields gets his sea legs under him. Hard to quantify the specific number of games Fields will sit until he takes over - 6, 8, 10? Again, I suspect our position in the postseason hunt will likely be the determining factor. I'm as excited as anyone when it comes to watching this kid eventually become our starting QB and hopefully manning the position for years to come. But until then, a little patience is in order.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well stated sir!!

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really hope the Bears can manage 1/2 the season with Dalton before putting the kid on the field... Could wait a year as far as I'm concerned, of course barring injury. In a "perfect" world, he's lights out in camp, lights out in practice games and starts day 1 with a Probowl year. But that's a big pipe dream.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope the Bears can manage 1/2 the season with Dalton before putting the kid on the field... Could wait a year as far as I'm concerned, of course barring injury. In a "perfect" world, he's lights out in camp, lights out in practice games and starts day 1 with a Probowl year. But that's a big pipe dream.
I would be ecstatic if he pulls a Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott and dominates from day one. I agree though. I hope Dalton can hold down the job for at least a year and is successful enough to keep Nagy his job, so fields can develop in the system for a year. I have been seeing a lot of bears fans say they want him to be the starter from day 1, but that’s not traditionally how you develop a franchise QB. We at least need to see the Oline come together and play well with the added pieces.

Personally, I think Dalton is going to be solid. He’s not going to be Patrick mahommes, but he’s not going to be Mike Glennon either. IMO, Fields needs to take the job from Dalton. He needs to earn it. If he does that in preseason and training camp, so be it.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh wow. Bears cut Leno today. I guess they really are that impressed with Jenkins.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh wow. Bears cut Leno today. I guess they really are that impressed with Jenkins.
Great news. Leno was a nice underdog story, but we needed a good LT. Hopefully Jenkins (or whoever) fills in nicely. Leno will go be a back up somewhere.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news. Leno was a nice underdog story, but we needed a good LT. Hopefully Jenkins (or whoever) fills in nicely. Leno will go be a back up somewhere.
No great loss, altho I wasn't expecting it, at least not at this point in time. I think we all knew at best this was his last year. Turns out his news was at worst.

Does make me wonder tho if the Bears anticipate signing some still-to-be-released vet to fill in for the short term. Who are the options otherwise to fill the void internally?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No great loss, altho I wasn't expecting it, at least not at this point in time. I think we all knew at best this was his last year. Turns out his news was at worst.

Does make me wonder tho if the Bears anticipate signing some still-to-be-released vet to fill in for the short term. Who are the options otherwise to fill the void internally?
There are a few LT's out there in Free Agency, but no telling what they would cost. Perhaps Eric Fisher coming off of the Achilles tear? 1 year prove it deal?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few LT's out there in Free Agency, but no telling what they would cost. Perhaps Eric Fisher coming off of the Achilles tear? 1 year prove it deal?
Kinda figured as much, which is why I'm guessing they'll be checking the unemployment list in the coming weeks.