• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The AL West slog rolls on and the late nights begin: TEX @ SEA 4/19-21

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holland had to go

There is more that need to go too

Of all the available options in MLB, you can't tell me this was the best options that the FO could assemble pitching wise. You just can't convince me that every year, we make attempts to sign better pitching and they just miss out. By "You" I dont mean you.....lol

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of all the available options in MLB, you can't tell me this was the best options that the FO could assemble pitching wise. You just can't convince me that every year, we make attempts to sign better pitching and they just miss out. By "You" I dont mean you.....lol
other than the talk about Kershaw which was never going to happen who else did we miss out on this off-season?

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
other than the talk about Kershaw which was never going to happen who else did we miss out on this off-season?

Carlos Rodon would have been nice

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think they are delaying the clock on some. Chase Lee is one that will come up. Some of the fringe starters like Otto my be in the pen eventually.

So I doubt if they are buyers for the pen in FA but who knows. There is really no clear cut closer

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yeah we will have more roster moves to make

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robbie Ray would have been nice as well

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It seems like the 2021 season has been extended into 2022.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers are off to their worst star since 1987.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giving up homeruns is absolutely killing us.

The Rangers have given up 21 in 10 games. They are averaging a HR given up every 4.2 innings. The next closest team averages 6.2 innings. The Rangers gave up as many HR last night (3) as SF has given up all season (and they have played one more game than we have).

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giving up homeruns is absolutely killing us.

The Rangers have given up 21 in 10 games. They are averaging a HR given up every 4.2 innings. The next closest team averages 6.2 innings. The Rangers gave up as many HR last night (3) as SF has given up all season (and they have played one more game than we have).
Wondering how long before we start seeing relief from the farm system, if any?

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wondering how long before we start seeing relief from the farm system, if any?

Time will tell. Right now, this is on the pitchers and the coaching staff to figure things out.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think from what the Rangers did and from what they have said, that the plan was to sign a pitcher like Gray and to sign a second pitcher on a one year deal as an innings eater.

In signing Gray, they wanted to find another pitcher that they could envision an improvement from like they got from Minor, Lynn and Gibson. They thought Gray would be that guy. They might be right. I was doubtful myself, but what do I know.

They wanted an innings eater for a short term deal. They chose Perez. I think that was a very bad choice.

I do not think they wanted to sign another pitcher based on what they have done and what they said. They seemed to have decided in the offseason that Dunning, Hearn and Howard would fill out the other three spots in the rotation. I think choosing Howard was a terrible choice in this particular season, knowing how much they would have to baby him along.

Why they didn't want to sign a short term bullpen piece or two is beyond me, but I shouldn't really be surprised. A Jon Daniels led team usually does not spend much on the bullpen. That needs to change beginning with the next offseason.

Hearn and Dunning have shown promise at times so I have more patience with them. Perez and Howard are who they have been and therefore I have little hope for them. Gray is the unknown for me.

The only thing we can do for the bullpen is try to not overwork them by having starters go 5 or more innings almost every time out. That leaves Howard out. That might mean moving an ineffective starter or two to the pen and trying out Alexy, Otto, and/or Burke in the rotation.