• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The '20-'21 White Sox offseason

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to guess that all these players had little or no experience prior to joining their respective major league rosters. Did I guess correctly? BTW, you left out perhaps the most important player ever on this list. Robin Yount, who went straight from high school to the majors.

????????? Who said it is? I think you're still buried in the opinion that I was suggesting the Sox sign Rosario instead of Eaton when in fact I just pointed out that we could have had both. And to me, Rosario at the same salary as Eaton is a better bargain, altho of course that remains to be seen.
and yet every post you've made re: rosario has included eaton. i think it's easy to believe you're making a comparison. but i do understand your position here. i don't have the concern about dh that you do obviously so not getting rosario is just no big deal to me.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to guess that all these players had little or no experience prior to joining their respective major league rosters. Did I guess correctly? BTW, you left out perhaps the most important player ever on this list. Robin Yount, who went straight from high school to the majors.
so did kaline. i think i'll choose kaline. :)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and yet every post you've made re: rosario has included eaton. i think it's easy to believe you're making a comparison. but i do understand your position here. i don't have the concern about dh that you do obviously so not getting rosario is just no big deal to me.
Yes my good man, I was making a comparison, but only regarding the values the two currently bring to the table. Actually, if Eaton can stay healthy and perform like he did in his previous stint with the Sox and his one really good year in Washington ('19), he will likely turn out to be a better value, being he brings a good glove as well as a good stick to the table. But health is the big issue here for Eaton, where it doesn't exist for the better hitting Rosario.
so did kaline. i think i'll choose kaline. :)

I have to agree, altho Yount had himself a pretty damn good career as well. Not up to Kaline's level, but damn good.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa...Boys boys boys....What happened here?

Just remember...There's plenty of room for both of you to be wrong. ;)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa...Boys boys boys....What happened here?

Just remember...There's plenty of room for both of you to be wrong. ;)
Aw, no problems here. Just voicing our opinions and yes, there's plenty of room to be wrong. :stooges:

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And speaking of said Twins...............

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And speaking of said Twins...............

Now that's just not right...

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently the Sox intend on having Crochet in the BP for '21, with the idea of having him in the rotation in '22:

And for those of us (ie, me) who were wondering why the Sox didn't actively pursue a DH bat this offseason:

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Good Guys are going with a backup catcher, or at the very least he'll be competing for the backup spot on the roster:

In his heyday, Lucroy, who is entering his age 35 season, was a two time AS catcher and in '16, was 4th in the MVP vote. Of course that's 5 seasons back and he's now at best backup material only, but experienced backup material. His defensive skills aren't considered the whippiest, but they will suffice under 2nd string situations. He can also DH or play 1b in a pinch when needed.

This will likely cause Collins to start the season in AAA and if Lucroy doesn't pan out, he's just a phone call away from rejoining the parent club. All things being equal, based on who's still available in the FA market, I would have preferred the Sox sign the more defensively talented ex-Sox Tyler Flowers. Who knows, maybe they've already reached out to him and the numbers just didn't add up. Otherwise, I'm fine with Lucroy.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Good Guys are going with a backup catcher, or at the very least he'll be competing for the backup spot on the roster:

In his heyday, Lucroy, who is entering his age 35 season, was a two time AS catcher and in '16, was 4th in the MVP vote. Of course that's 5 seasons back and he's now at best backup material only, but experienced backup material. His defensive skills aren't considered the whippiest, but they will suffice under 2nd string situations. He can also DH or play 1b in a pinch when needed.

This will likely cause Collins to start the season in AAA and if Lucroy doesn't pan out, he's just a phone call away from rejoining the parent club. All things being equal, based on who's still available in the FA market, I would have preferred the Sox sign the more defensively talented ex-Sox Tyler Flowers. Who knows, maybe they've already reached out to him and the numbers just didn't add up. Otherwise, I'm fine with Lucroy.
MInor league deal I suspect. Good move in this "what the hell" part of the season.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MInor league deal I suspect. Good move in this "what the hell" part of the season.
Good point, there's nothing in the report that guarantees Lucroy makes the roster. He'll probably have to earn the spot against Collins, who still holds the advantage of bringing a LH bat. But the signing in and of itself doesn't spin positively for any of the current group of backup catchers. If the Sox were satisfied with them, there wouldn't be such a signing.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, there's nothing in the report that guarantees Lucroy makes the roster. He'll probably have to earn the spot against Collins, who still holds the advantage of bringing a LH bat. But the signing in and of itself doesn't spin positively for any of the current group of backup catchers. If the Sox were satisfied with them, there wouldn't be such a signing.
Another article, a bit more updated, does confirm that it's a minor league deal, so it's safe to say that at this point, Collins remains the #2 catcher. Still, we should expect to see Lucroy at camp and in the mix for the backup role.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another article, a bit more updated, does confirm that it's a minor league deal, so it's safe to say that at this point, Collins remains the #2 catcher. Still, we should expect to see Lucroy at camp and in the mix for the backup role.
I suspect with a 26 man roster Lucroy makes the MLB roster.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the news on that foreign batting practice hoss?

I'm guessing that guy and Vaughn are going to be the guys filling LSD's hole of neverending sadness about this Rosario guy...

Starting to think the Sox are done...Usually they get in, get their guys and move on...Won't lie...I did expect one more move. Goddamn accountants.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i cannot believe his value dropped like that.
Analytics. Don't ask me to expand on that, I still go by old fashioned ERA, BA, HR, RBI, etc. But they've been saying on the MLB channel and other sports sites for much of the offseason that Colome is due for regression, and the market reacted accordingly.
Report: Former White Sox closer Alex Colomé signs with Twins (yahoo.com)

The Sox paid him $10 million last year - the Twins get a bargain, but they also get a guy who can't - for the life of him - execute a 1,2,3 inning.
And I think we all agree with Mingo's point. As dependable as Colome was during his two year stint with the Sox, he did induce a number of cringeworthy moments as we sweated out a number of his final outs.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Analytics. Don't ask me to expand on that, I still go by old fashioned ERA, BA, HR, RBI, etc. But they've been saying on the MLB channel and other sports sites for much of the offseason that Colome is due for regression, and the market reacted accordingly.

And I think we all agree with Mingo's point. As dependable as Colome was during his two year stint with the Sox, he did induce a number of cringeworthy moments as we sweated out a number of his final outs.

Colome is a good player. I would mourn his loss but we improved on paper. Gotta see what Hendriks does in a Sox uniform first to anoint him though...as with every player.