• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The '20-'21 White Sox offseason

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, you did bring up lotsa stuff. and yes, if we can't acquire a bauer quintana would be an adequate starter until we either develop one or 2 (or3). i see no need for any of the others unless we do lose colome.

imagination is fine but can also ruin a team. i don't see this as a time for imagination.
Fair enough buddy. But I would like to see you think outside the box a bit more often. You're a smart guy, but you need to expand your White Sox horizons.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough buddy. But I would like to see you think outside the box a bit more often. You're a smart guy, but you need to expand your White Sox horizons.
when the sox suck i'm quite good at imagining scenarios. i can think way outside the box but when you have a good machine up and running you don't want to fiddle too much with what's working. i'm sure there's a saying for this .... but i can't think of any at the moment. my point is ... almost any change can improve a really bad team. almost any change can screw up a really good team.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when the sox suck i'm quite good at imagining scenarios. i can think way outside the box but when you have a good machine up and running you don't want to fiddle too much with what's working. i'm sure there's a saying for this .... but i can't think of any at the moment. my point is ... almost any change can improve a really bad team. almost any change can screw up a really good team.

So yer telling me that renaming my firstborn Trevor is premature?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not the exact analogy, but howzabout don't change horses in the middle of the stream. Anyway, my suggested signings and trades wouldn't screw up the team because I'm not looking to overhaul the Sox so much as simply enhancing the roster.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not the exact analogy, but howzabout don't change horses in the middle of the stream. Anyway, my suggested signings and trades wouldn't screw up the team because I'm not looking to overhaul the Sox so much as simply enhancing the roster.
If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Springer is gonna be a no-no.

Not a shocker by any means. In fact, quite expected.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didn't he say a month ago he wouldn't sign with the sox? or am i thinking of someone else?
I believe you're thinking of the Mets pitcher, Marcus Stroman. This is the first story about Springer not likely to sign with the Sox.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter the Mets have way too much money to burn. The new owner didn't lose money last year -and has $20 million he doesn't have to pay Cano. The Sox would have to overpay for Stringer - and Stringer doesn't add to the Sox where they are weak (pitching).

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this post-Lynn/Eaton acquisition analysis as to how the Sox can further improve themselves. There's some really good reading here:

How nice a portion of that title looks - "The new AL Central Favorite" - Of course this and 25 cents still only equals two bits, but it sure beats titles from recent years: Cellar Dwellers.

One part of this article I find most interesting is the idea of making Eloy the full time DH at least for this coming season, thus freeing up a spot for the Sox to sign a LF. Hopefully short term at most because Mike Vaughn is waiting in the wings. If this is the route the Sox are pursuing, I'm still quite hopeful then that they could still ink Eddie Rosario or Michael Brantley. Rosario might be the wiser choice because he could easily be had for a 1 year deal or at most a 1+1. Brantley's signing might require something along the lines of 3 years. Then again I could be talking out of my ass, so who knows.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this post-Lynn/Eaton acquisition analysis as to how the Sox can further improve themselves. There's some really good reading here:

How nice a portion of that title looks - "The new AL Central Favorite" - Of course this and 25 cents still only equals two bits, but it sure beats titles from recent years: Cellar Dwellers.

One part of this article I find most interesting is the idea of making Eloy the full time DH at least for this coming season, thus freeing up a spot for the Sox to sign a LF. Hopefully short term at most because Mike Vaughn is waiting in the wings. If this is the route the Sox are pursuing, I'm still quite hopeful then that they could still ink Eddie Rosario or Michael Brantley. Rosario might be the wiser choice because he could easily be had for a 1 year deal or at most a 1+1. Brantley's signing might require something along the lines of 3 years. Then again I could be talking out of my ass, so who knows.
One difference between La Russa and Renteria - is La Russa will stick Eloy at DH and make him play his way onto the field - no sentiment - just what's best for the team. I love Eloy - I'd like to see him out in LF, but he has to earn it and he won't earn it running into the wall or hanging in the netting.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i don't like the idea of taking eloy out of lf. IF he's not going to be the full time DH leave him alone! you don't get better by not playing the only position you can play. i think that's a dumb idea considering vaughn and what he'll be doing.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting............

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the White Sox are interested in free agent closer Liam Hendriks.​

The White Sox picked up Lance Lynn in a trade this week and have reportedly signed Adam Eaton to play right field, but they aren't done. As White Sox general manager Rick Hahn said on Tuesday afternoon, the team's window is officially open. Michael Brantley reportedly remains a target for the club, but closer is an obvious need with Alex Colome in free agency. Hendriks is the top closer on the market after posting a 1.78 ERA with 14 saves and a 37/3 K/BB ratio over 25 1/3 innings this past season.
RELATED:
SOURCE: USA Today

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting............

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the White Sox are interested in free agent closer Liam Hendriks.​

The White Sox picked up Lance Lynn in a trade this week and have reportedly signed Adam Eaton to play right field, but they aren't done. As White Sox general manager Rick Hahn said on Tuesday afternoon, the team's window is officially open. Michael Brantley reportedly remains a target for the club, but closer is an obvious need with Alex Colome in free agency. Hendriks is the top closer on the market after posting a 1.78 ERA with 14 saves and a 37/3 K/BB ratio over 25 1/3 innings this past season.
RELATED:
SOURCE: USA Today
maybe ... but i'm thinking he's going to be a yankee.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't like the idea of taking eloy out of lf. IF he's not going to be the full time DH leave him alone! you don't get better by not playing the only position you can play. i think that's a dumb idea considering vaughn and what he'll be doing.
Point well taken. One has to wonder if his hitting would suffer by relegating him to strictly a DH. He has on numerous occasions stated he wants to play the OF, not just DH. I personally feel he would make the requisite adjustments, but you never know. Guess we'll just have to see how this plays out and who the Sox sign in the coming weeks/months.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking it is time to win a championship - not a time to develop a guy defensively. La Russa wasn't hired to develop anyone. You can do plenty of development w/o playing regular in LF. In fact Eloy - seems to have regressed in LF rather than shown a gradual getting better curve.

I don't know if I agree with this as a club direction, but again hiring La Russa - was meant to take some of the Sox loose playing fun boys - and putting an edge on them. In fact - putting an edge is the context in which Adam Eaton best fits in his signing - as he is a fingers crossed solution in RF. He brings an edge to his game and he gives a manager like La Russa options in the batting order - in the outfield and on the bases.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between Encarnacion, Gio, Mazara, Rodon, McCann and Dyson - the Sox saved $34 million. In signing Eaton and trading for Lynn - they have only spent 1/2 of that. Colome is a $10 million salary.

Plus the Sox are supposed to "spend money" when they get out of the rebuild. So there is a lot of money still to spend to get another Pitcher - a LH power hitter, a 2nd catcher and possibly a closer upgrade. I'd say there is $30-35 million to spend just to get to a payroll of $130 million. Go Sox!