• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers vs. Oakland A's 8/2-8/4

bradw516

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't even think that if Colby does get back to form that he's an upgrade over the 5 we have now. Ogando, while he has issues with control, has better stuff. I'm comfortable with him as the 5th starter until Harrison is ready. I think people over value Colby.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trolling at all. The info I got was from someone at the game. What I didn't realize was that the info he gave me was DURING the early part of the game. And at the time, he hadn't thrown above 84. The game story is obviously more accurate. I assumed he gave me the info after the game. I made a mistake. My bad.

Much more encouraging to see that he did hit upper 80s on the gun. We'll see what happens.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't even think that if Colby does get back to form that he's an upgrade over the 5 we have now. Ogando, while he has issues with control, has better stuff. I'm comfortable with him as the 5th starter until Harrison is ready. I think people over value Colby.

Not really. Colby is a monster in you're playoff rotation. Harrison when healthy is very good and is you're #3 or 4 starter

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby looked like Colby.
Without beating around the bush, he’s as ready as he’s ever going to be. I think he’ll get one more start in the minors because I got the impression Ogando was told he’ll get another start before they make a decision. Not sure Colby is terribly happy with that, but it is what it is. He looked like the same guy you’ve seen over the last couple of years. FB 86-88 touching 89. He was cutting it occasionally as well as adding and subtracting velo a bit. He’d throw an 84-85mph CT followed by a 88 FB low and on the outer half. SL had nice break a few times, although he also hung a couple. CH had good fade and thanks to his highly advanced sequencing, that pitch induced some helpless swings from the AA kids. Missed right down the middle to a little guy not known for his power and the ball went 410’ over the centerfield fence, so if he misses at the big league level the same thing will happen, just like it has for the last few years. But I think he can be competitive and keep the team in the game. He’s an old guy who pitches around trouble, and pitches with a tremendous understanding of the game as well as an understanding of his own capabilities. A scout I was sitting with said “he’ll pitch to the bat because he knows the guys behind him will catch it(meaning the big leaguers), and he’ll put the pitch where they aren’t likely to hit it hard anyway.” So there you go.

Jbear

Ranger Days Ranger Nights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great problem to have if Colby and Harry both get through rehab and are "ready" to return to the big club. Garza, Dutch, and Darvish aren't going anywhere of course. Perez should stay IMO unless he shits the bed three straight. This guy is a future young gun already showing signs of strong outings to come down the stretch and he is not going to improve down on the farm. Being around Garza, Dutch, Darvish, Maddox and big league hitting is much better experience for him than anything he will get in the minors.

Ogando has not looked all that great BUT he may just be working out the rust from a rough season injury-wise. He was probably rushed back from the minors because of Grimm and Tepich getting knocked around and he has been more effective than them even with his high pitch, short inning starts since getting back with the big club. I have no idea if he will get better this season. Many smart folks on here suggest that he needs to be returned to bullpen which may be the truth. I am not thrilled though with Ogando coming in right now to put out a bases loaded fire with the way he has been pitching either. The real situation with Ogando is he needs work to get a few things straight and to increase his ability to get at least 6 innings of effective work. The best thing about him compared with Colby and Harry is that he has already had multiple starts with the big club and is already working to get in better game shape.

Colby is not a real attractive option to me at this point baring some injuries. He is not going to be with the Rangers next season. He is coming back from a major injury and he is going to be rusty. You can count on it. His mid to upper 80's fast ball speed are not very appealing to me. If he had a whole season to sharpen his location and changes of speed then we would have a much better idea if he "still has it" but wasting starts on him at this point in this season seems mighty risky with the 2013 offense of the Rangers. He really belongs on a team like Minnesota or Houston where he can work things out to sharpen his skills so he can get a decent contract for 2014. Many of you talk about how Colby is a playoff stud and will help the Rangers win a WS. I just don't see any chance of that happening. The Rangers are too loaded with pitching to risk Colby being Oswalt 2.0. Love the guy and wish we could have traded him last month but a September call up is the best he should hope for absent an injury.

Harry is a much more difficult situation to figure out. Luckily we have no idea yet what he will look like coming out of multiple rehab starts so we have ample time to figure it out. If Ogando does not improve and Harry looks decent then I would try Harry and move Ogando to the bullpen or 60 day DL. Harry has a future with the Ranger I think depending upon what he can do post back injury. Colby has a future on another team. I would rather use precious starts to try and get Harry effective again than I would Colby. Garza, Dutch, and Darvish are the only real important playoff/WS starters for the Rangers. If we are in a must win situation in a game 4 I am thinking one of these three will get the start but I would rather win or lose with Harry than I would with Colby tossing mid and upper 80's fast balls to the Cardinals, Tigers, Pirates, Baltimore, Dodgers, or Boston sluggers.

Wash, Maddox and the Rangers FO will know which pitchers to add to this club. I have complete faith in all of them to make the correct evaluation on this decision. It will be hard for us fans to avoid bitching when one of them has a bad outing but we are lucky to have so many great choices for them to choose from. The next two months and hopefully a deep run the WS should show just how deep the Rangers are with pitching talent.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off-Topic question, I just wanted you guys' opinion...who do you think is the best starting pitcher in the MLB?
I'd have to go with Clayton Kershaw. What he has put up this year is quite incredible.
David Price...

Old school

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shut up. That's not the same thing. That was a squeeze play.
A's used the bunt in setting up and scoring two of their four runs. In the end, it is not about how,but how many runs you score. Bunting is and always has been a part of winning baseball games and that is not going to change no matter what you say. Really amazes me how little most people on this board know about the game.

What a waste of time trying to talk actual baseball on here has become.

dirtyangus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby can't stay in the minors past Aug 15. At most he gets 2 more rehab starts, but if he can't hit 88-90 and struggles to get AA hitters out, then what? What do the Rangers do with him then? I'm starting to think Harrison has a better shot at contributing in Sept than Colby does in August.

which is it, troll or liar?

dirtyangus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A's used the bunt in setting up and scoring two of their four runs. In the end, it is not about how,but how many runs you score. Bunting is and always has been a part of winning baseball games and that is not going to change no matter what you say. Really amazes me how little most people on this board know about the game.

then leave if it upsets you so much.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know far less than you think.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know our fair share of baseball and we all have differing and subjective opinions. Let's just leave it at that.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby looked like Colby.
Without beating around the bush, he’s as ready as he’s ever going to be. I think he’ll get one more start in the minors because I got the impression Ogando was told he’ll get another start before they make a decision. Not sure Colby is terribly happy with that, but it is what it is. He looked like the same guy you’ve seen over the last couple of years. FB 86-88 touching 89. He was cutting it occasionally as well as adding and subtracting velo a bit. He’d throw an 84-85mph CT followed by a 88 FB low and on the outer half. SL had nice break a few times, although he also hung a couple. CH had good fade and thanks to his highly advanced sequencing, that pitch induced some helpless swings from the AA kids. Missed right down the middle to a little guy not known for his power and the ball went 410’ over the centerfield fence, so if he misses at the big league level the same thing will happen, just like it has for the last few years. But I think he can be competitive and keep the team in the game. He’s an old guy who pitches around trouble, and pitches with a tremendous understanding of the game as well as an understanding of his own capabilities. A scout I was sitting with said “he’ll pitch to the bat because he knows the guys behind him will catch it(meaning the big leaguers), and he’ll put the pitch where they aren’t likely to hit it hard anyway.” So there you go.

Colby of old sat around 88-90 with his fastball. Not 86-88.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaar that is not what is posted on the rangers site.

Lewis confident he's ready to return to Rangers | MLB.com Mobile

FRISCO, Texas -- Colby Lewis feels he's ready to be activated by the Rangers after making his seventh rehab start on Saturday.

The decision now rests in the club's hands after the right-hander pitched five innings for Double-A Frisco, allowing two runs on six hits. He threw 59 of his 86 pitches for strikes, collecting three punchouts, all swinging, and one walk against Double-A San Antonio.

"It's up to them," Lewis said. "A couple weeks ago, I felt like I could've slid right in, but I feel like now we got five guys [in the rotation] that are kind of locking it down. They've got a decision to make, so we'll see what happens."

Lewis' fastball averaged around 88 mph, which was his average last season before he tore his flexor tendon in his right elbow last July and missed the remainder of the season. Lewis has had two setbacks dealing with triceps tendinitis and muscular soreness since the injury.

The right-hander allowed a solo shot to center field to the second batter he faced on an 88-mph fastball. Lewis hit 90 mph three times in his outing, twice on the at-bat following the home run and picked up his second strikeout in the inning on an 83-mph slider.

"I felt like my misses were all in the same area," Lewis said of his fastball. "I felt like when I did miss, it was in the location where I wanted it to be. Other than that, I felt like I commanded the ball pretty good, threw some good changeups. My curveball was hit and miss, but usually if you have three out of the four, it's going to be a pretty decent day."

Lewis threw 24 pitches in the third, working around a one-out triple to the second batter. He forced the next two batters to ground out in the infield, mixing in more offspeed pitches.

"You try to attack them with fastballs, and they just jump all over it," Lewis said. "With runners in scoring position, I tried to start guys off soft and keep them from hunting that fastball."

Lewis allowed his second run in the fifth allowing a one-out double and single in consecutive at-bats on three pitches. He then issued a seven-pitch walk, but ended his outing on a popout and flyout.

In his third rehab stint, Lewis has a 7.10 ERA in his last four starts. He's allowed five runs in 10 innings during his last two outings.

"Overall I felt like my stamina definitely gets better every time I go out," Lewis said. "Eighty-six pitches, I feel like I definitely could've gone out for another one. Overall, it felt like another good outing."

Read this later as well. Seemed the above paints a better picture.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Garza's fire and everything but he went a little overboard. That said, its pretty lame of Sogard's wife to fight his battles, and get into a pissing contest over twitter. Just keep your mouth shut bitch. Nobody cares.

Lastly, if garza doesn't like getting beat by small ball he should learn to field his position. He's a very good pitcher, but isn't good at that aspect of his game. The A's did what they should do and took advantage of it.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the back and forth smack and arguments between players. Just adds more to the rivalry. Keep em coming!

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Susan Slusser ‏@susanslusser
Matt Garza apologized to the Sogards this morning, regrets his tweets last night. #Athletics #Rangers

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Garza's fire and everything but he went a little overboard. That said, its pretty lame of Sogard's wife to fight his battles, and get into a pissing contest over twitter. Just keep your mouth shut bitch. Nobody cares.

Lastly, if garza doesn't like getting beat by small ball he should learn to field his position. He's a very good pitcher, but isn't good at that aspect of his game. The A's did what they should do and took advantage of it.

Well a's always played small over the years. I also agree with that. Sogard is a Nerd. But yeah he went overboard I think but I love it